Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: First AFL Box score

Re: First AFL Box score

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    By the end of the year I think it will be apparent that he needs to be in Cincinnati though.
    Hopefully, there won't be a spot for him until the end of the year. Regardless, It's good to see him on another tear.

From the pitch fx data, it looks like Ondrusek's problem wasn't that he was up but he had no movement on his fastball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Not at the start of the year. He has options and they will be used unless there are multiple injuries in ST. By the end of the year I think it will be apparent that he needs to be in Cincinnati though.
    Has he even been placed on the 40-man yet? Perhaps he has been since the season ended, but I believe he will have all three options heading into next year. Thus, you're right, it won't be a rush to get him to the bigs.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Has he even been placed on the 40-man yet? Perhaps he has been since the season ended, but I believe he will have all three options heading into next year. Thus, you're right, it won't be a rush to get him to the bigs.
    He has to be protected this winter, so he will go on soon.

He has to be protected this winter, so he will go on soon.
    He's already rule-5 eligible?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since he signed after 19, he doesn't have to be protected until after four full seasons - yes? If 2006 was a partial year, if my math is correct, 2010 is his last full season before he'll have to be protected.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

He's already rule-5 eligible?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since he signed after 19, he doesn't have to be protected until after four full seasons - yes? If 2006 was a partial year, if my math is correct, 2010 is his last full season before he'll have to be protected.
    He was 21 when drafted.

He was 21 when drafted.
    I know that, but the rules read that you have five full years in an organization before being required to protect a player if they were drafted at 18 and four years if drafted 19 or older. Since he was 21 when drafted, I believe the Reds have four full seasons before needing to protect him. Unless 2006 counts as a season, which I don't believe it does (though I may be mistaken), then 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 are the seasons they can leave him off the 40-man, then upon submitting protected rosters in November of next year, they'd have to add him to the 40-man roster.

I know that, but the rules read that you have five full years in an organization before being required to protect a player if they were drafted at 18 and four years if drafted 19 or older. Since he was 21 when drafted, I believe the Reds have four full seasons before needing to protect him. Unless 2006 counts as a season, which I don't believe it does (though I may be mistaken), then 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 are the seasons they can leave him off the 40-man, then upon submitting protected rosters in November of next year, they'd have to add him to the 40-man roster.
    For whatever reason, the season the player signed counts as a full year. He's rule five eligible.

That counts as a year. Basically anyone drafted out of HS in 2005 or before is in need of protecting this year and anyone drafted out of college in 2006 or before is in need or protecting.

The Saguaros are 0-6 and the Reds look to be a major reason for the losses.

Ondrusek and Watson have been abysmal (Ondrusek had two decent innings today after two shellings earlier). Boxberger wasn't so good in his one outing and Cozart (.590 OPS) and Alonso (.631 OPS) are off to slow starts.

Heisey has been awesome (1.545 OPS) and Leake had an ok outing.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I looked at team ERA and team BA before last night's game and the Saguaros were deep in the basement in both categories. Every team except one had an ERA over 5 and most teams had very good team BAs with 4 of the 6 teams over .290. The Saguaros were batting .228 as a team. The Reds hitters are batting a collective .298. (Heisey is bringing up the avg of a poor Cozart and Alonso)

That counts as a year. Basically anyone drafted out of HS in 2005 or before is in need of protecting this year and anyone drafted out of college in 2006 or before is in need or protecting.
    OK I didn't think that year counted. That's where the discrepancy comes in. I know that year doesn't count when dealing with minor league free agency, and I was thinking it didn't get applied toward Rule-5 either.

OK I didn't think that year counted. That's where the discrepancy comes in. I know that year doesn't count when dealing with minor league free agency, and I was thinking it didn't get applied toward Rule-5 either.
    Yeah, its a strange rule that counts for one thing but not for the other.

Jason Grey had some nice things to say about Boxberger's first outings. ESPN Insider content, but as a summary he said that he was 91-93, touching 94 in his first game and 94-96 touching 98 in outing 2. Also that some scouts believe he profiles as a closer.

94-96 touching 98, that's Bailey territory

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    94-96 touching 98, that's Bailey territory
    Yes, but the difference is that Bailey can and has done it for 7 innings. The knock on Boxberger was that he fell off later in the game with his velocity. We will see how it goes next year, but the 98 is exciting.

Turn Off Ads?