Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Reds have interest in Halladay

Re: Reds have interest in Halladay

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Bailey, Alonso, Stubbs/Heisey, Roenicke. Do it, convince him to accept, and get to work on SS, 3B and LF.
    Rolen
    Scutaro
    Rios
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I am sitting around and waiting. Hopefully he'll be judged by the fruits of his labor, not on what he tried to do (or didn't try to do).
    In the end, that's how it should be.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Curios as to the "attractive package". The Jays are also looking to move their right-fielder.

It turns out that the idea of fielding offers this month for Roy Halladay may not have been entirely hatched in the Blue Jays' boardroom or the office of general manager J.P. Ricciardi.

A lot of it came from Halladay himself.

"Roy told us he was going to test the free-agent market," Ricciardi said on the Fan 590 yesterday. "I think knowing that we're not going to be able to retain Roy, or getting in line for his services now as opposed to having sole rights to have him, we wouldn't be doing our job if we weren't exploring."

After yesterday's loss, Ricciardi said he couldn't remember when Halladay made that statement and added the right-hander has supplied them with a list of teams to which he would be willing to be traded.

"That's the whole reason we're going down this avenue," Ricciardi said.

By Halladay telling the Jays he would go the free agent route, it was apparent in which direction his heart was tugging. And that direction was out of Toronto.

Halladay declined to clarify the issue.

"I don't want to address it," he said after the game when asked about telling the Jays he wanted to test free agency following the 2010 season. "I don't know what he (Ricciardi) said. I'll do it (talk) after I pitch (tonight)."

Halladay gets the start for the Jays tonight when they open a three-game series against the Tampa Bay Rays in what could be his final start at home in a Jays uniform.

Earlier, Ricciardi told reporters that not much had changed in the Halladay sweepstakes and that he still didn't think a deal could be done by the Jays' date of July 28 or the non-waiver trade deadline of July 31.

Is he getting any more calls?

"A few more," Ricciardi said. "I think we're getting a little more detail. But my gut says no (trade). It's just my gut though."

In terms of progress being made, Ricciardi said that this weekend looms large given the Jays' Tuesday deadline.

"If we're down the road with something, obviously the deadline can fluctuate," he said. "But if we're not down the road by the 28th, nothing's going to happen."

Ricciardi also said the organization wasn't contemplating the concept of picking up any of Halladay's remaining salary to facilitate a deal.

"No, I don't think so," he said. "We don't have to at this point."

Ricciardi added that it isn't just the Jays and what they believe is fair value for Halladay that may be slowing up the dialogue -- although he did tell the Fan later "our asking price my be a little too high" -- that it could be that interested teams may have to make other deals to get the Halladay deal done.

"I think that some of the teams that are interested are trying to maybe move some pieces that they have to acquire the players, they have to go through their exercises. But that's not our problem."

One of those teams may be the Rays, who are said to be shopping LHP Scott Kazmir in order to free up money for Halladay.

When it comes to other players on the roster, Ricciardi said the most interest surrounds shortstop Marco Scutaro, who is a free agent at the end of the season.

"There has been a lot of interest in Scutaro," he said.
    http://www.torontosun.com/sports/bas...42946-sun.html
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Actually we owe nothing of the sort.

It's an internet rumor so we have no idea if it's even true. And it it is, as you suggest, I offer no apology for expecting Walt to do his job.

Now, if Walt pulls off a spectacular series of moves in the next 7 days that sets us up for 2010 and beyond? Then I'll eat a big helping of Crow-Helper.
    First, it may be on the internet, but fanhouse is a legitimate news site with legitimate reporters. This was not from some guys personal blog. It still may not be true, but it has the same credibility as if it was from C. Trent's or Lance's blog. (Not saying that everything on these guys blog is true, just that they are real reporters.)

Second, I have no idea if you ever criticized Jockety for not making an effort to improve this team, or for not doing his job. If you did not, then you are not who Brutus was referring to, so no need to be offended. But if you did, and this rumor is true, then you and anyone else who did, should eat some crow.

Brutus was not asking people to apologize for expecting Jocketty to do his job, he was asking people to apologize of accusing Jocketty of not doing his job, when it turns out that he might have been doing his job.

I don't know if you read Brutus's previous posts in other threads, but his point was that we don't know what Jocketty is doing, so we should wait until the smoke clears after the trading deadline before casting judgment. The fact that we now have a report that, if true, shows that Jocketty was willing to make a very large, bold move, proves his point, and was why he was wondering if anyone would eat crow now.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

maybe walt will make it a huge package and get rolen and rios as well. We would basically have to empty our farm system and find a way to dump at least arroyos salary but we would be contenders over night.
    Our chances of getting halladay are slim but Walt does have a track record of being an elephant hunter so maybe it has a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I don't know if you read Brutus's previous posts in other threads, but his point was that we don't know what Jocketty is doing, so we should wait until the smoke clears after the trading deadline before casting judgment. The fact that we now have a report that, if true, shows that Jocketty was willing to make a very large, bold move, proves his point, and was why he was wondering if anyone would eat crow now.
    Walt saying he's got interest in a player that the rest of MLB is also interested in and making a courtesy call to see what the price tag in hardly qualifies as "willing to make a very large bold move".

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    maybe walt will make it a huge package and get rolen and rios as well. We would basically have to empty our farm system and find a way to dump at least arroyos salary but we would be contenders over night.
    Our chances of getting halladay are slim but Walt does have a track record of being an elephant hunter so maybe it has a shot.
    they would have to find a way to dump $30M in salary

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    Why stop there? Include Scuarto

Hmmm, let's see...would

Encarnacion
    Alonso
    Stewart
    Wood
    Roenicke
    Heisey
    Francisco

be enough to get it done- with Arroyo and Taveras thrown in to help offset some of the salaries? :
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Bailey, Alonso, Stubbs/Heisey, Roenicke. Do it, convince him to accept, and get to work on SS, 3B and LF.

I would just give them the roster of minor league players and say you can pick 4, with the following limits.

No more than three pitchers or position players respectively.
    Only one of Stubbs/Heisey
    You can count all pitchers on the Major League roster not named Cueto or Volquez as minor league players for your consideration.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Why stop there? Include Scuarto

Hmmm, let's see...would

Encarnacion
    Alonso
    Stewart
    Wood
    Roenicke
    Heisey
    Francisco

be enough to get it done- with Arroyo and Taveras thrown in to help offset some of the salaries? :
    Funny thing is I would do something along those lines but they can keep Alex Rios, because he isn't really any better of a bat than EdE.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I would just give them the roster of minor league players and say you can pick 4, with the following limits.

No more than three pitchers or position players respectively.
    Only one of Stubbs/Heisey
    You can count all pitchers on the Major League roster not named Cueto or Volquez as minor league players for your consideration.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Walt saying he's got interest in a player that the rest of MLB is also interested in and making a courtesy call to see what the price tag in hardly qualifies as "willing to make a very large bold move".
    Not so much. Walt knows what he has and knows he can throw together a deal in order to get things done. Other teams can't claim that.

Is Alonso allowed to be traded yet or does he have to be a PTBNL?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Not so much. Walt knows what he has and knows he can throw together a deal in order to get things done. Other teams can't claim that.

PTBNL until Aug 15.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    his year is not yet up

Turn Off Ads?