Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yankees dumping Columbus as it's AAA squad, Reds contract with Billings up

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Yankees dumping Columbus as it's AAA squad, Reds contract with Billings up

Just the GCL was under consideration for elimination. There are no plans to eliminate any of the other short-season leagues (Appalachian, Pioneer, NY-Penn).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Technically the Arizona version of GCL was also going to be killed.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Haunted by walks

Baltimore should go to Huntington so they could have Oriole Yards at Camden Park.

Quote Originally Posted by NDRed View Post
    I went to two games at Cobb Field this year and the term "dump" is quite appropriate for this venue. I posted the below on 7/25/06:

-Cobb Stadium is um...well...unique. You walk into small rooms to buy some of the concessions. For example, if you want Cotton Candy, you walk under the seats until you find the room with the handwritten cardboard "Cotton Candy" sign. There you find a group of teenagers spinning away...strange. It is also not a stadium with distractions for the non-die hard fans (like my 8 year old daughter) no playground, no silly promotions, nothing. Just sit down and watch the game with 2000 plus other fans, average age about 71.

I would say that the stadium is about the same age....71 years. Also, it is arguable who gets the greatest billing in the stadium, the local American Legion team or the Mustangs. That being said, I hope the Reds renew their contract with Billings as it is only 3 hours away for me. On the other hand, the Reds, or any professional orgainization deserves better.

I've been to Cobb Field as well. Although, to Billings credit - almost all the stadiums in the Pioneer league are this way. Helena's stadium is better but not by all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I just read mcclain's story - so if all the posturing is going on - this is what is transpiring

Yanks-Scranton
    Phils-Ottawa
    Nats-Norfolk
    Mets - ??
    Orioles - ??
    ?? - Columbus
    ?? - New Orleans

So, if things go as they want - this might happen - (and all Kentucky Reds fans rejoice)

Mets - Columbus
    Orioles - New Orleans

Then - in 2009

Mets - Buffalo
    Indians - Columbus

Or if Toronto steps out of the Syracuse AAA (which expires in 2008)

Mets - Syracuse
    Jays - Buffalo
    Indians - Columbus
    The Clippers have signed a short term deal with the Washington Nationals.
    http://www.nbc4i.com/clippers/9896249/detail.html

I read another related story which indicates that the deal has an out to allow the Clippers to pursue either the Reds or Indians when their currrent affiliation contracts end (both in 2 years I believe).

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Technically the Arizona version of GCL was also going to be killed.
    Oh, right. Forgot about the AZL. My perception was that baseball was proposing killing the leagues because a) they were all owned by the parent organization anyway and b) they draw just north of zero fan interest.

The plus from the organizational perspective is that the GCL/AZL clubs always use existing ST facilities (and in many cases, like the Reds', share with another team as well).

Turn Off Ads?