• Team Euro

13 65.00%
  • USA! USA! USA!

7 35.00%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Ryder Cup

Re: 2008 Ryder Cup

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I didn't see what he said, so I'll withold some judgement. I hope they're not too much sour grapes. I've always like Westwood, but he could very well become the next Colin Montgomery. He's won all of one time in the states and that was some no name tournament a long time ago. But his entire demeanor this week reaked of whinysour grapes.

As for crowds, I don't see how any Europeans could, with a straight face, complain about the American crowds if they've experienced Ryder Cups in Europe with their crowds. They're every bit as rowdy as ours.
    As I'm watching the European press conference, and I can now say I have a player to always root against. Westwood is a first-class jerk. IMO, the reason why players like Colin and Westwood are so disliked here is not because how often they win, but just their overall demeanor. I'm not condoning any fan going over the line by yelling obscenities to a player, but the reason why it happens to players like Westwood is because they can't keep their mouths shut. Instead of just letting Weekely do his thing or talk to him privately about it, he has to go whining to the press and that's how it all starts. Like I said earlier, maybe he would have had a better weekend if he wasn't so worried about what Weekely was doing or what a stupid fan was yelling at him, and just focused on his game.

Also, Olazabal hasn't changed a bit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I guarantee you Westwood had a few of those, "I can't believe I'm losing to this guy" moments in the two matches he played against Boo. He's just so opposite of the typical golfer stereotype, especially in Europe, that Lee probably struggled with that. The irony is that Lee on a couple of occassions showed a lack of class on the course with his interactions with the gallery. Like I said, I've always liked Lee, but sometimes losing the way they lost can really bring out the sourpuss in competitors. Losing head to head is different than not wining a tournament. It's much easier not to be a sore loser when you lose in a stroke play tournament.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Boo Weekley is the new John Daly in the hearts of fans.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I love the Ryder Cup. I wish I could have seen more of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I will say this, I might have been a little harsh on Poulter. I've always thought he was a little weird, and his "me and Tiger" comments earlier in the year were just silly. But he handled the defeat with class based on the interview immendiately after. I was impressed with what he said and his demeanor in losing.

I think ESPN's golf coverage is generally awful, but I'm kinf of euphoric right now, so I went to ESPN.com to see what they had to say on the front page. Well, the front page story was Miami beating New England. I was taken aback. I guess I just assumed that the US winning the Ryder cup for the first time in 9 years would be the obvious top story anywhere you turned.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

The Ryder Cup was SO enjoyable to watch this weekend! I'm not even a huge golf fan and I watched quite a bit of it. I appreciate how easy those guys can make this game look because I know how NOT easy golf is from playing in my first company golf outing a few weeks ago! To say that I was bad would be a massive understatement, LOL

Go Team USA!!!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I think ESPN's golf coverage is generally awful, but I'm kinf of euphoric right now, so I went to ESPN.com to see what they had to say on the front page. Well, the front page story was Miami beating New England. I was taken aback. I guess I just assumed that the US winning the Ryder cup for the first time in 9 years would be the obvious top story anywhere you turned.
    I'm surprised their lead story wasn't about Yankee Stadium since ESPN has done nothing but cover that all day today.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    The Ryder Cup was SO enjoyable to watch this weekend! I'm not even a huge golf fan and I watched quite a bit of it. I appreciate how easy those guys can make this game look because I know how NOT easy golf is from playing in my first company golf outing a few weeks ago! To say that I was bad would be a massive understatement, LOL

Go Team USA!!!
    I can't think of many times I enjoyed watching golf more that this. A few that are close:

1999 Ryder Cup: I watched the entire day Sunday and THAT was freaking awesome.

1997 Masters : it wasn't close at all, but seeing the coronation of Tiger Woods is something I'll never forget.

2000 PGA (also at Valhalla):Tiger Woods. Bob May. 'nuf said.

2005 Masters: I was watching this on the big screen at the student lounge fro my grad school program. It was right around finals and a bunch of folks were there studying. About the last hour, about 40 people congregated around the TV to watch Tiger down the stretch. "The Shot" on #16 was unreal. when it looked like it was going in, every started to yell, then when it looked like it stopped short, everyone collectively exhaled, followed by the explosion after it fell. It was awesome.

2007 Deutsche Bank - About the only time Tiger and Phil battled it out down the stretch of a tourney. Phil won by two strokes shooting a 5 under par to win the tournament. That was exciting on Labor Day.

This one might take the take. I'm still blown away by the quality of the golf played. The Europeans played very well, so it's not like they US took advantage of poor play by the Euros.

I guarantee you Westwood had a few of those, "I can't believe I'm losing to this guy" moments in the two matches he played against Boo. He's just so opposite of the typical golfer stereotype, especially in Europe, that Lee probably struggled with that. The irony is that Lee on a couple of occassions showed a lack of class on the course with his interactions with the gallery. Like I said, I've always liked Lee, but sometimes losing the way they lost can really bring out the sourpuss in competitors. Losing head to head is different than not wining a tournament. It's much easier not to be a sore loser when you lose in a stroke play tournament.
    westwood came across like a horse's arse this weekend

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I hate being wrong about Team Europe, but I love the fact that Team USA regained the Ryder Cup.

I honestly anticipated a blow out of epic proportions, but it just didn't happen. The "best" Euros didn't show up. That was the difference. To put this weekend into perspective, this is basically the same as a 15 seed beating a 2 seed in the NCAA tourney. Huge huge upset.

Part of me wonders if the Euros vastly took the Americans for granted, and assumed they'd stomp the US on their home turf.

Regardless, great golf this weekend by a golfers not many of us knew before, and some absolutely horrendous golf by some household names.

I'm also wondering if anyone's going to sit next to Westwood or Harrington on the trip home...

Highlifeman, I think maybe you idealized the Euros a little too much. I thought a blowout might by the Euros was a distinct possibility, but I thought it was more because they always play so much better than the Americans in this event.

It wasn't my perception that the Euros played poorly. Actually, I thought they played very well, not too dissimilarly to how they've played the past two. The difference, in my eyes, was clearly the American play. the Euros still made putts and hit great shots. The difference is that the americans matched them this time and made more putts. McDowell, Poulter, and Kaarlson played about as brilliantly as any Euro has played in any Ryder Cup.

But the US team had several players play out of their minds. Boo Weekley gets a lot of attention because of his personality, but they guy was nails this week. The guy he played against shot 3 under on the front 9 and found himself 3 down as Weekley shot 6 under. Boo pretty much singel handedly beat Westwood and his partner yesterday afternoon.

Furyk played about as well as he's ever played. He was Mr. Automatic with his irons all 3 days and was sinking putts all over the place.

Justin Leonard was nasty with his putter on Saturday. It seems like he couldn't miss. He got beat by a superior opponent on Sunday, but he played ou of his mind on Friday and Saturday.

Hunter Mahan had a couple of missteps, but he played great almost the entire event.

Anthony Kim played poorly with Phil on the back nine Saturday morning, but was pretty phenomenal most of the competition.

Look at that approach shot Campbell hit to the par 5 on Friday.

Kenny Perry sunk putt after putt and hit many a great shot.

Steve Stricker made just a sick up and down on Saturday afternoon to get a critical half point.

So I couldn't disagree more with your assessment that the difference was the Euros not being the Euros. they're not invincible. With the exception of Sergio, the Euros were every bit as good as they've always been. I don't see which household names played poorly. Heck, even Westwood played well. He just ran into Boo who played out of his mind. So I think the best Euros showed up, except Sergio and Harrington (and Harrongton hasn't played well in the Ryder Cup in a while now, so I don't think that was much of a surprise). I believe this US Ryder Cup team would have won any of the previous 3 playing the way they played.

It was great play by the Americans, not poor play by the Euros.
    Last edited by MWM; 09-21-2008 at 11:37 PM.

So I couldn't disagree more with your assessment that the difference was the Euros not being the Euros. they're not invincible. With the exception of Sergio, the Euros were every bit as good as they've always been. I don't see which household names played poorly. Heck, even Westwood played well. He just ran into Boo who played out of his mind. So I think the best Euros showed up, except Sergio and Harrington (and Harrongton hasn't played well in the Ryder Cup in a while now, so I don't think that was much of a surprise). I believe this US Ryder Cup team would have won any of the previous 3 playing the way they played.
    The Euro's top three of Paddy, Sergio, and Westwood (I believe) didn't do much to help the Euros. I don't think they won a match. I think Azinger made his best decision sending Kim out as the first US golfer on Sunday. From what I saw of the cup Kim looked excited and pumped up to be there. He took Sergio behind the woodshed beating him handily. I think that set the tone for the rest of the day.

On a side note Polter played amazing this weekend. Wow was he clutch. Boo's comment about his bunker shot being his 9th best was classic. How about Kenny Perry's dad coming onto the course after Perry won in overalls. Sergio is a class act, after the Americans won Sergio went over and congratulated the American team.

JB Holmes made his HS golf team when he was in the 3rd grade? A 10 year letterman? Wow.

Match play is fun to watch. Instead of minimizing-your-losses shots, you get the go-for-broke shots. Different mind set and a different kind of player really.

I admire Miguel Jiménez for conceding that putt to Jim Furyk to win the whole deal. He kinda hesitated, but then shook hands.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    JB Holmes made his HS golf team when he was in the 3rd grade? A 10 year letterman? Wow.

Match play is fun to watch. Instead of minimizing-your-losses shots, you get the go-for-broke shots. Different mind set and a different kind of player really.

I admire Miguel Jiménez for conceding that putt to Jim Furyk to win the whole deal. He kinda hesitated, but then shook hands.
    What's really amazing to me is how things change so quickly in golf.
    Two years ago, after the 2nd blowout defeat, people looked at the European team and said, "Man, they may not lose for 10 years." Europe had all the young stars, David Howell, Paul Casey, Henrik Stenson, and Sergio. While Darren Clarke and Monty provided ample leadership, it was the young guys who were clearly asserting themselves.

Now look at this US team, Anthony Kim, Boo Weekly, Hunter Mahan, when Tiger comes back he'll only be 32. Heck Leonard's only 36 and is playing the best golf of his career. Phil is 38 and is still a top 10 level player, if not top 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?