Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Instant Replay

Re: Instant Replay

From Bearcat Banter...

I will say that those of you watching the game on TV had a much better vantage point than I did from the Lair (pretty much the worst possible view from inside the stadium).
    Last edited by paintmered; 11-14-2009 at 01:05 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

From Bearcat Banter...

I will say that those of you watching the game on TV had a much better vantage point than I did from the Lair (pretty much the worst possible view from inside the stadium).
    The opposite view down the line of scrimmage was inconclusive, in my opinion. This picture is the wrong angle. I go back to the ruling on the field. It wasn't conclusive in my view. Granted I was watching in Pizza Hut, with a my five year old eating his onion personal pizza next to me.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    The opposite view down the line of scrimmage was inconclusive, in my opinion. This picture is the wrong angle. I go back to the ruling on the field. It wasn't conclusive in my view. Granted I was watching in Pizza Hut, with a my five year old eating his onion personal pizza next to me.
    Here's the one you're looking for:

When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Here's the one you're looking for:

I can't over rule the call on the field based on that.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I question if he had possession at that point.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I see people saying that the ball crossed the plane but they dont know if it was enough to over turn it.

Sounds like you guys understand what a TD is so why all the confusion on it being too close to call.

Either the ball crossed the plane or it didnt.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

On that angle, it's an easy overrule -- when you have to judge the position of the ball, you look at other things on the field to give perspective. In this photo (sideline looking down the end-line), you can see that there's a WVU player (#2) standing with his foot literally on the goal line, and Pead has the football stretched entirely past his shoulder pads.

Touchdown.

On the second angle (earlier photo), there's a Bearcat (can't get the number) with his foot and pads about 6" away from the goal line, and Pead has the ball stretched over his helmet and past his pads by almost a football length.

Touchdown.

Is it indisputable visual proof? Probably not. But neither the pros or nor college actually hold replay to the "indisputable" level (despite their claims to the contrary), so that's a dead issue to me. Is it within the scope of calls usually reversed? Yup. So, from that standpoint, it's hard to be mad at this call either way.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    On that angle, it's an easy overrule -- when you have to judge the position of the ball, you look at other things on the field to give perspective. In this photo (sideline looking down the end-line), you can see that there's a WVU player (#2) standing with his foot literally on the goal line, and Pead has the football stretched entirely past his shoulder pads.

Touchdown.

On the second angle (earlier photo), there's a Bearcat (can't get the number) with his foot and pads about 6" away from the goal line, and Pead has the ball stretched over his helmet and past his pads by almost a football length.

Touchdown.

Is it indisputable visual proof? Probably not. But neither the pros or nor college actually hold replay to the "indisputable" level (despite their claims to the contrary), so that's a dead issue to me. Is it within the scope of calls usually reversed? Yup. So, from that standpoint, it's hard to be mad at this call either way.
    I see the hand breaking the plane, not the ball.

My point is that it falls in the muddy zone. You can't overrule the call on the field based on that. We are seeing this all over college football. Like I said this isn't an anti-UC thread, it is about the process.

They need replay officials that aren't on the payrolls of these BCS conferences.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

They need replay officials that aren't on the payrolls of these BCS conferences.
    You'll never see conferences give up their autonomy when it comes to officiating -- either to use their own crews for games or their own replay officials.

The quick solution is to go to the NFL system -- where, at the very least, you limit the number of times a replay official can influence a game. Additionally, it would limit the number of stoppages in a game, which is always a good thing.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

So the hand broke the plane but the ball didnt

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    On that angle, it's an easy overrule --
    Totally disagree. The only easy overrule would be if the camera was right on the goal line, this one is slightly to the left giving it a false illusion due to the angle.

It simply is not indisputable and should not have been overturned based on what we are seeing. That's how the rules for instant replay are written. The fact that this discussion exists demonstrates just that.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Totally disagree. The only easy overrule would be if the camera was right on the goal line, this one is slightly to the left giving it a false illusion due to the angle.

It simply is not indisputable and should not have been overturned based on what we are seeing. That's how the rules for instant replay are written. The fact that this discussion exists demonstrates just that.
    Just because one side doesnt think its a TD doesnt mean its not indisputable. the ball broke the plane and he then had it knocked loose. Its clear if you understand what a TD is.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Just because one side doesnt think its a TD doesnt mean its not indisputable. the ball broke the plane and he then had it knocked loose. Its clear if you understand what a TD is.
    indisputable: Beyond dispute or doubt; undeniable: indisputable evidence.

There is enough evidence on my "side" to support the claim that the freeze frame shown in this thread is disputable. The angle at which we are looking at the ball gives doubt, and that's enough to not overturn the call, no matter how it was called on the field.

Yea its pretty indisputable that the ball broke the plane before he lost it if you watch the replays. Some people are just saying its pretty close and assume if its close it isnt possible to overturn. Yea its close but so is barely getting 1 toe down.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Yea its pretty indisputable that the ball broke the plane before he lost it if you watch the replays.
    Once again, the angle at which the camera is located makes where the ball is in the frame disputable.

Turn Off Ads?