Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade rumor thread

Re: Trade rumor thread

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm with you. If you can find quality arms in the discard pile there's no reason to plunk down on more expensive options. Send Manny Parra on his way with a hearty thanks and go get the next inexpensive arm to do that job.
    Have any of Jocketty's long term deals with middle relievers worked out? I can't think of one that did, but can think of plenty that didn't.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Have any of Jocketty's long term deals with middle relievers worked out? I can't think of one that did, but can think of plenty that didn't.
    I'm not a Jocketty fan ,But the Reds has had a real good bullpen for three or four years in a row. Maybe I'm wrong.
    How much is Parra asking for anyway?
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

David Price preparing to be traded

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...medium=twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I wonder how you prepare to be traded? Start looking at various real estate markets? Start trading in your current wardrobe? Price may want to trade in his shorts and tank tops of Florida for wool coats needed in New York. If you have kids, start looking at schools in all the cities? Get those change of address cards from the post office? Inquiring minds want to know.....

Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    In 2013 Marshall was a non-factor. Hopefully that does not happen again in 2014.
    Yep, I'm seriously worried about Marshall's shoulder.
    He did not pitch much at the end of the season to give me a comfort level that he's healthy.
    I hope resting all winter will help.

In any event, Marshall's questionable health makes me want to sign Parra more. Parra is not going to get a big payday. I'd feel better with him as opposed to bringing in Zach Duke (or simliar player) as the primary LH guy out of the pen. Duke is ok vs just lefties. A lefty like Parra or Marshal that can also pitch to RH batters is far more valuable.

I wouldn't mind inviting Duke to spring training, I just would like Parra back as well. He was solid and worth keeping.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Get vacinized against Cincinnati Chili

8. Likes:

wlf WV (10-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Call me crazy, but I'd go year-to-year with almost all relievers. Too much year-to-year volatility, too many replaceable parts, and too many bad contracts- especially for a small market team.

I KNOW Kc61 and FCB will strongly disagree here
    I could not agree with you more. You can go down every major league roster and there are very good bullpen guys that were nothing more than unwanted dumpster dives. Relievers are so up and down with both performance and health that outside a complete anomaly like Mariano Rivera I don't every see a reason to shell out big money or more than 2 years at a time.

I think Parra and Randall Simon are kind of the template you would look for. A failed starter, with a decent fastball and an average secondary pitch. The fastball plays up a couple of ticks out of the bullpen and they don't get exposed by a lack of a 3rd pitch.

If I am the Reds I would take a look at a guy like a Mike Pelfrey or , dare I say it, Edinson Volquez as guys that if you can get them cheap might play pretty well out of the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Don't disagree at all. Usually I think you are right.

I was skeptical of the Masset deal, his numbers were declining. I was unsure about the Broxton deal for a couple of reasons, although I thought the club needed a closer if Chapman was starting. I favored the Marshall deal.

In Parra's case, at a reasonable salary, I would do it. I just think he is reaching his peak as a reliever and will be effective for that time frame.

But generally I agree, teams should give out multi-year deals to relievers sparingly.
    We remember the deals that didn't work out, but what about the ones that did work out:

Chapman (so far)
    Rhodes
    Cordero (debatable, I guess.. dude was overpaid but got the job done)
    Logan (I agree, he's mediocre, but at the price, not a bad deal, and stayed healthy)

When our main competitors are investing in their pen and giving out multiyear deals to key relievers, we are pretty much forced to give out multiyear deals to stay competitive. I'm sure no one would want to lose Parra to the Pirates or Cards because the Reds refused to give Parra 2 years..

There's still hope (based on what we know) that Marshall and Broxton might be effective next year.. I guess I don't understand why people freak out over giving relievers multiyear deals, yet folks are less worried about Cueto, Cingrani, Latos, and Homer (sore leg) next year..
    Just about every team that builds around pitching is going to get burned on a few pitching injuries.. it's just part of the cost of doing business as a contender. I think Walt did a great job building depth in the pen this year to help get through the year.. Guys like Reynolds, Logan, Duke, and Parra are a huge step up from the sub-replacement level guys in AAA the Reds would've been forced to use in their place.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    I could not agree with you more. You can go down every major league roster and there are very good bullpen guys that were nothing more than unwanted dumpster dives. Relievers are so up and down with both performance and health that outside a complete anomaly like Mariano Rivera I don't every see a reason to shell out big money or more than 2 years at a time.

I think Parra and Randall Simon are kind of the template you would look for. A failed starter, with a decent fastball and an average secondary pitch. The fastball plays up a couple of ticks out of the bullpen and they don't get exposed by a lack of a 3rd pitch.

If I am the Reds I would take a look at a guy like a Mike Pelfrey or , dare I say it, Edinson Volquez as guys that if you can get them cheap might play pretty well out of the bullpen.
    Randall Simon smacked the sausage.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I am good with never seeing Edison Volquez in a Reds uniform again.

13. Likes:

Donder (10-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm with you. If you can find quality arms in the discard pile there's no reason to plunk down on more expensive options. Send Manny Parra on his way with a hearty thanks and go get the next inexpensive arm to do that job.
    What's more bang for the buck for a contender?

Zach Duke (or someone like him) at 1 million/year
    or Parra at 2-3 million/year?

I think Parra is.

If Parra wants 6 million, then I agree with you, but I don't think he's going to get that.
    Hopefully Parra loves the fact that Price and the Reds saved his career, likes his role here and wants to stay.

15. Likes:

wlf WV (10-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    We remember the deals that didn't work out, but what about the ones that did work out:

Chapman (so far)
    Rhodes
    Cordero (debatable, I guess.. dude was overpaid but got the job done)
    Logan (I agree, he's mediocre, but at the price, not a bad deal, and stayed healthy)

When our main competitors are investing in their pen and giving out multiyear deals to key relievers, we are pretty much forced to give out multiyear deals to stay competitive. I'm sure no one would want to lose Parra to the Pirates or Cards because the Reds refused to give Parra 2 years..

There's still hope (based on what we know) that Marshall and Broxton might be effective next year.. I guess I don't understand why people freak out over giving relievers multiyear deals, yet folks are less worried about Cueto, Cingrani, Latos, and Homer (sore leg) next year..
    Just about every team that builds around pitching is going to get burned on a few pitching injuries.. it's just part of the cost of doing business as a contender. I think Walt did a great job building depth in the pen this year to help get through the year.. Guys like Reynolds, Logan, Duke, and Parra are a huge step up from the sub-replacement level guys in AAA the Reds would've been forced to use in their place.
    Ondrusek is the only one of those guys mentioned who is a middle reliever. And any argument that rests on Ondrusek being a good signing has lost before it even started.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-10-2013)

Volquez....with Price, in the bullpen, would be very interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

19. Likes:

M2 (10-10-2013),Revering4Blue (10-10-2013),TRF (10-10-2013)

What's more bang for the buck for a contender?

Zach Duke (or someone like him) at 1 million/year
    or Parra at 2-3 million/year?
    I'll take the next, cheaper guy every time. Don't be afraid to dive back into that dumpster. Foraging for relievers works and the Reds are good at it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-10-2013)

Yep, I'm seriously worried about Marshall's shoulder.
    He did not pitch much at the end of the season to give me a comfort level that he's healthy.
    I hope resting all winter will help.
    I understand the concern, but not being "seriously worried." No injury is necessarily typical, but what is the usual prognosis for first a sprain, then subsequent tendonitis. I don't know the history of pitchers coming back from these type injuries. I would think, as you hope, that offseason rest and conditioning should enable him to come back and pitch. Again, I understand, any sort of shoulder injury gives pause, but what's been the past history with other pitchers generally?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

23. Likes:

REDREAD (10-10-2013)

Turn Off Ads?