Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista

Windows Vista

Impressions? I sent out for my free upgrade(just bought a laptop last week at Circuit City) and should get it in the next month.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Windows Vista

I've been using the Office suite since mid December. It's got a sleeker new look to it and the drop down menus are different. It has more "stuff" up at the top so you don't have to dig through menus to find the different features. There is also quite a bit of content that links to the web but I don't really use it too much. The one thing that irritated me was I created a document in Word 2007 and then tried to open it in an older version and had some trouble (maybe just my ignorance on how to do it).

Overall, I don't really think it would be worth the $$ when the same basic features are all there. I can see why someone using the products in an office may get more out of it but for the everyday person who writes papers, makes powerpoint presentations, and makes tables in Excel, it really doesn't make a huge difference.

I haven't tried out the whole operating system yet. I really just want to wait and see what bugs need to get worked out in service pack type upgrades. I'll probably get a new computer in 2 years when I graduate from college so that will probably be when I try it out (unless it's really popular and gets great reviews my tech side will kick in and I'll have to get it).

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Impressions? I sent out for my free upgrade(just bought a laptop last week at Circuit City) and should get it in the next month.
    I've had a Macintosh and been using "Vista" (aka OS X) since 2002.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Can up upgrade your XP to Vista? I read where Vista is more of a "horse" on memory and such, but I have a new computer that has alot of memory and processor.

Or should people wait till all the patches come out first to fix da bugs?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Hope your free upgrade came with Home Premium or Ultimate b/c those are the only 2 I'd be willing to get. Vista Basic seems like a waste of money.
    THE University of Cincinnati

University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Can up upgrade your XP to Vista? I read where Vista is more of a "horse" on memory and such, but I have a new computer that has alot of memory and processor.

Or should people wait till all the patches come out first to fix da bugs?
    Yes you can upgrade XP to Vista in fact its alot cheaper to do that rather than say buy the full retail version of Vista. You probably save 40-50% by doing the upgrade.

Questions:

How much memory?
    What kind of processor?
    What kind of video card?

University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I've had a Macintosh and been using "Vista" (aka OS X) since 2002.
    Don't be jealous that Microsoft has came out with something similar yet better to Mac :

Quote Originally Posted by beb30 View Post
    Don't be jealous that Microsoft has came out with something similar yet better to Mac :

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

It only took them 5 years this time.

They're improving in Redmond.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

now that's funny.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Hope your free upgrade came with Home Premium or Ultimate b/c those are the only 2 I'd be willing to get. Vista Basic seems like a waste of money.
    Its Home Premium.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I'll hold off on Vista until dual-core processors become the norm.

On a side note, I never find any of the "new, easier, more useable" features to be new, easier, or more useable than the old ones. I hate upgrades that force me to spend time re-learning how to do simple tasks. I spend years using certain buttons and menus, then the "new, easier" version comes out and I have to spend time figuring out why "File > Edit > Preferences" doesn't work anymore.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I'll hold off on Vista until dual-core processors become the norm.
    Dual-Core processors are the norm now you really cant buy a PC without dual-core technology.
    Last edited by beb30; 01-31-2007 at 04:52 PM.

Dual-Core processors are the norm now you really cant buy a PC without dual-core technology.
    They're the norm going forward, but most current home PCs don't have dual-core technology. And typical consumers aren't going to upgrade right now just to get a dual-core processor.

In three years, though, the majority of people will probably have dual-core.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?