Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto Continuing Treatment

Re: Votto Continuing Treatment

Joey Votto's ego

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm not saying Steig is right or wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time a team downplayed or concealed an injury, and it won't be the last.

As to why they would conceal the fact that Votto would likely be out through 2015? Season ticket purchases.

Again, given that there's so little information out there about Votto's status (anyone want to take a stab at paraphrasing this nonsense in the OP?), I won't go as far as Steig, but I don't find his speculation (there's that evil word again) to be insult worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    Joey Votto's ego
    Reds fans in the 50's:

Ted Klusewski's sherking he has no problem with his back

Reds fans in the 60's:

Joe Nuxhall's a POS, let's dump him

Reds fans in the 70's

Gary Nolan's not hurt, what a dog.

Reds fans in the 80's:

Eric Davis is fragile and begs to not play, lazy I say.

Reds fans in the 90's:

Barry Larkin isn't elite, if he was he'd play 162 games a year, it's just a game.

Reds fans in the 00's:

Griffey is a dog, never worked out enough, doesn't try to do as much as he could.

Reds fans in 10's:

Joey Votto is a primma donna and a walking waste.

5. Likes:

boognish (07-26-2014),dwyerbrg (08-05-2014),Edd Roush (07-27-2014),GullyFoyle (07-26-2014),HokieRed (07-26-2014),Hoosier Red (07-27-2014),kbrake (07-26-2014),Larkin Fan (07-26-2014),Nasty_Boy (07-26-2014),NebraskaRed (07-26-2014),pahster (07-26-2014),powersackers (07-30-2014),Puffy (08-07-2014),Raisor (07-26-2014),reds1869 (07-26-2014),RedsfaninMT (07-26-2014),Roy Tucker (07-26-2014),Tom Servo (07-26-2014),TRF (07-28-2014),villain612 (07-26-2014)

The Votto conspiracy makes zero sense at all. If it was something that required major surgery we would have heard about it by now. If he were to miss an entire season insurance would be paying that season of his contract and again we would know about it. I don't think people are appreciating how significant a strained quad can be. And as someone already mentioned in this thread it isn't that hard to Google "strained quad" and find out there can be some pretty serious injuries labeled a strained quad.

Major athletes get hurt all the time. There is really nothing to cover up.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Reds fans in the 50's:

Ted Klusewski's sherking he has no problem with his back

Reds fans in the 60's:

Joe Nuxhall's a POS, let's dump him

Reds fans in the 70's

Gary Nolan's not hurt, what a dog.

Reds fans in the 80's:

Eric Davis is fragile and begs to not play, lazy I say.

Reds fans in the 90's:

Barry Larkin isn't elite, if he was he'd play 162 games a year, it's just a game.

Reds fans in the 00's:

Griffey is a dog, never worked out enough, doesn't try to do as much as he could.

Reds fans in 10's:

Joey Votto is a primma donna and a walking waste.
    I did see footage of him practicing taking pitches.

8. Likes:

reds1869 (07-26-2014)

Blue Jays slugger Edwin Encarnacion hasn’t played since July 5 due to a right quadriceps strain and now his absence appears likely to stretch into August.

According to John Lott of the National Post, Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said this morning Encarnacion suffered “a minor setback” while swinging a bat yesterday in Florida. While a return previously appeared possible within the next few days, there’s now no set timetable for his return.

I wonder if Blue Jay fans think EE will be out until 2016 too.

Damn you Kremchek!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

11. Likes:

Big Klu (07-26-2014),keeganbrick (07-26-2014),NebraskaRed (07-26-2014),pahster (07-26-2014)

So Edwin's minor setback has now muddled his timetable for returning.

We know Encarnacion was once a Red, so obviously Kremcheck is responsible for this. Doc Hollywood is a scourge around the league and should be tried for crimes against humanity.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

13. Likes:

Always Red (07-26-2014),Big Klu (07-26-2014),pahster (07-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    The Votto conspiracy makes zero sense at all. If it was something that required major surgery we would have heard about it by now. If he were to miss an entire season insurance would be paying that season of his contract and again we would know about it. I don't think people are appreciating how significant a strained quad can be. And as someone already mentioned in this thread it isn't that hard to Google "strained quad" and find out there can be some pretty serious injuries labeled a strained quad.

There's zero chance that Votto's contract is insured.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post

I think it's likely, as with most things in medicine, that they truly have no idea when he'll be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    There's zero chance that Votto's contract is insured.
    If I were you, I'd quickly edit, amend or delete this comment because this could come back on you very soon.

I'd say there's a better chance that it were insured than not. Almost all major contracts are insured these days. It's rare for any long term contracts to NOT be insured. The only thing is that they are insured for small intervals rather than for the entire duration. So it's a really good bet Votto's contract is insured, but it's probably for only 3-5 years at a time.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    If I were you, I'd quickly edit, amend or delete this comment because this could come back on you very soon.

I'd say there's a better chance that it were insured than not. Almost all major contracts are insured these days. It's rare for any long term contracts to NOT be insured. The only thing is that they are insured for small intervals rather than for the entire duration. So it's a really good bet Votto's contract is insured, but it's probably for only 3-5 years at a time.
    I've heard that it's exactly the opposite. That contracts were once insured but that now they're not because insurance in addition to the cost of the contract made deals prohibitively expensive, so they were simply avoided. Now I'll have to dig.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I've heard that it's exactly the opposite. That contracts were once insured but that now they're not because insurance in addition to the cost of the contract made deals prohibitively expensive, so they were simply avoided. Now I'll have to dig.
    They're not insured for the full value any longer. But they're done in increments and one report I read a while back was that they were usually insured for between 50-75% of the annual value.

Here is a 2012 article from the Washington Post talking about it:

For their largest contracts, major league teams purchase policies that will cover them if a star player misses extended time. “The definition of large varies from team to team,” said Dan Burns, the president of Pro Financial Services, a leading underwriter. “What’s not large for the Yankees may be large for the Nationals. And what’s large for the Nationals is very large for the Kansas City Royals.”

The policies differ bases on team preferences. Some insurance kicks in if a player misses 60 regular season days, Burns said, while other policies activate only if the player misses an entire season. The percentage of the contract reimbursed also differs – some teams only insure to recoup half of the contract for time missed, while other policies cover 80 percent of the salary.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ure-contracts/
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Here's a report from last year prior to the WBC from SportsNet saying the Votto DOES have insurance:

Votto, the superstar first baseman from Toronto who signed a $225-million, 10-year extension with the Cincinnati Reds last spring, is expected to play in the Classic but must first sort through some insurance issues related to his contract and the knee injury he suffered during the 2012 season.
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...lassic-roster/

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Here's a report from last year prior to the WBC from SportsNet saying the Votto DOES have insurance:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...lassic-roster/
    Okay. I'm wrong. But I also read that pre-existing injuries are virtually never covered anymore. Whether the quad injury can be lumped with the knee as preexisting by the insurer, idk.

Turn Off Ads?