4. Frazier
    5. Thompson
    6. Wood
    7. Valaika
    8. Duran
    9. Maloney
    10. Lotzkar

Thats my current Top 10.
    I was waiting for someone to put Duran in their top 10. He's got the tools to be an absolute beast down the road.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Post Draft (1st day) Top 10

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'm not. I'm letting Wood's Southern League numbers dazzle me.

Why do you discount the FSL when it comes to Stubbs poor May? He seemed fine in April. Or is it that perhaps April was more of a fluke than May?
    We have gone over this at least 3 times in other threads. Go read those. Wood is a fine prospect, potentially a Top 125 prospect in baseball at this point. The Reds system, despite graduating Bailey, Bruce, Votto and Cueto this year still could have the potential to have 5 or 6 guys in the top 100 this year.

I'm not. I'm letting Wood's Southern League numbers dazzle me.

Why do you discount the FSL when it comes to Stubbs poor May? He seemed fine in April. Or is it that perhaps April was more of a fluke than May?
    How many times...His numbers in may were unlucky, based on line drive rate...He is starting to turn things back around and has two doubles in his past couple games...

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I was waiting for someone to put Duran in their top 10. He's got the tools to be an absolute beast down the road.
    Yeah I really like him, I have him in my top 10...I really hope that he sees a little time in the GCL this year...

Quote Originally Posted by crazyredfan40 View Post
    Yeah I really like him, I have him in my top 10...I really hope that he sees a little time in the GCL this year...
    Ah, I missed you having him at #10 in yours. Yeah he's still incredibly young and raw, but a potential 80 power makes me salivate.

A quick list here, nothing too concrete ...

1) Alonso
    2) Frazier
    3) Thompson
    4) Mesoraco
    5) Maloney
    6) Stubbs
    7) Valaika
    8) Wood
    9) Duran
    10) Lotzkar

There's always been interesting discussion about Stubbs for the last two years, but I'm waiting for his attempt to take on Southern League pitching once he reaches Chattanooga. I think that will be a pretty good step in determining the probability of Stubbs' success moving forward.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    We have gone over this at least 3 times in other threads. Go read those. Wood is a fine prospect, potentially a Top 125 prospect in baseball at this point. The Reds system, despite graduating Bailey, Bruce, Votto and Cueto this year still could have the potential to have 5 or 6 guys in the top 100 this year.
    I think Wood will be higher than that. I also think you tend to do two things with Reds prospects: overvalue the higher picks by ignoring their flaws. You once touted Stubbs as a potential .900 OPS guy in the majors. You also tend to dismiss performance over potential. Wood, taken in the context of his development, and the things the Reds tried to make him do in Dayton is easily a top 100 prospect. He pitched extremely well in Sarasota, and is pitching better in Chatt.

I agree that the Reds could have 5-6 guys in the top 100. I don't think at this point Stubbs is one of them. Knowing that BA will likely put Alonso in their top 100 list I see the reds having the following in the top 100:

Thompson, Frazier, Mesoraco, Wood, Alonso.

Maybe not in that order, but those 5 easily.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

He had 40 games in the GCL, and he's at Dayton now and performing. And he's just 20 years old, well, he'll be 20 in less than 2 weeks. He's performing at a high level (something Stubbs didn't do at Dayton until half the year had gone by) at a very young age.
    Mesoraco was flat out terrible last year. That is no debate. He has done well so far in Dayton, but it has been in very small body of work, as he was just recently called up.

I agree he's one of the Reds top prospects, but I was just going by your performance and one full-year criteria, in which he has not fulfilled either at this point.

Whether he has seen a pro pitch or not, between three years at Miami and one summer in the Cape Cod, Alonso has already faced better and more competition than Mesoraco. Even if Alonso has the worst case beginning to his pro career and struggles at Dayton or Sarasota, a year from now he's still a top 10 Reds prospect on everyone's list, so what difference does it make if has a full year under his belt?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyredfan40 View Post
    How many times...His numbers in may were unlucky, based on line drive rate...He is starting to turn things back around and has two doubles in his past couple games...
    Luck had something to do with it, but an OPS of .612 in May isn't just bad luck.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think Wood will be higher than that. I also think you tend to do two things with Reds prospects: overvalue the higher picks by ignoring their flaws. You once touted Stubbs as a potential .900 OPS guy in the majors. You also tend to dismiss performance over potential. Wood, taken in the context of his development, and the things the Reds tried to make him do in Dayton is easily a top 100 prospect. He pitched extremely well in Sarasota, and is pitching better in Chatt.
    Not sure about that. Performance matters, but only to a certain point. The key is to see why they are performing the way they are and how that projects going forward. Ramon Geronimo and Robert Manuel are absolutely dominating the competition right now. Neither are even close to the Reds top relievers (ok, Geronimo might be 4th or 5th best reliever). Performance only goes so far, projection, while tougher to put your finger on, is a lot more valuable when it comes to projecting someones future.

Luck had something to do with it, but an OPS of .612 in May isn't just bad luck.
    So the numbers are lying? The league numbers are lying...Why don't you accept the fact that while his numbers didn't look great in May they don't tell the whole story...Numbers don't tell the whole story, you have to figure out what is going to into those numbers and getting them to those numbers...

Thus unlucky #'s due to linedrive rate, hard league to hit in, thus lack of power numbers, etc...

1. Mesoraco
    Big value for catchers who can hit.
    2. Thompson
    3. Frazier
    4. Alonso
    5. Stubbs
    6. Wood
    7. Francisco
    8. Maloney
    9. Duran
    10. Valaika
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    1. Alonso
    2. Mesoraco
    3. Stubbs
    4. Frazier
    5. Thompson
    6. Wood
    7. Valaika
    8. Duran
    9. Maloney
    10. Lotzkar

Thats my current Top 10.
    I like this list better than anyone's else. And it would certainly be closer to something BA would likely do.

Frazier
    Mesoraco
    Alonso
    Stubbs
    Valaika
    Thompson
    Wood
    Duran
    Lotzkar
    Watson
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

1. Thompson
    2. Wood (I really like him, and think we have a gem coming. Watch and see)
    3. Frazier
    4. Stubbs (count me on the he's-undervalued-on-this-board group)
    5. Alonso
    6. Mesoraco
    7. Valaika
    8. Roenicke
    9. Maloney
    10. Francisco

Turn Off Ads?