Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Roster (who's in, who's out?)

Re: Opening Day Roster (who's in, who's out?)

I'm glad I'm not the only one shocked to see Arredondo outrighted. He seemed like one of the locks to make it this year. I figured with his history that he'd at least have some value to other teams, but it could simply be the case that no one is looking for new relievers at this point in spring training.

Best of luck to Parra. I'm not a fan yet, but here's hoping he can prove me wrong yet.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    What about Mark Prior?
    The Louisville Bats web site shows him on the roster there.
    /r/reds

Sorry if this has already been mentioned . . . but I'm guessing that Ondrusek's assignment to Pensacola (as opposed to Louisville) might have to do with the Wahoos' pitching coach, Tom Brown. Reportedly, a lot of prospects have prospered by his mentoring in recent years. Could be mistaken, but I seem to recall that Ondrusek's rapid ascension was traced to Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Outrighted means you stay on the 40 man roster and are just demoted to the minors. It's the same as being assigned to the minors, but it's for player who are out of options.

DFA'd means the team has ten days to trade you. If they can't, then the player goes through waivers. If he clears waivers, the player at that point can opt for free agency or go to the minors.

That's how I remember it, if I am mistaken, feel free to correct me.

Edit: I asked a friend, and he said outrighted means you are not on the 40 man roster.
    Like you said, outrighted means your (major league) contract is outright assigned to a minor league or another club overseas.

Designated for assignment is actually just a temporary procedural move that takes you off the roster until you are either outrighted, traded, claimed on waivers or released.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Izturis has already had a fine career as a utility guy. We know what he can do. The only question was did he have anything left in the tank, and it seems like he still does.
    What's been so fine about it. He's an underpowered out machine. Frankly, any slippage from his recent shoddy seasons and he's the worst player in MLB (rather than just an honorable mention for worst player).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Izturis is bad, but don't you need a backup SS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Izturis is bad, but don't you need a backup SS?
    Well, you need a backup IF who can play SS. Problem with Izturis is he's barely played anything but SS (I'm not a fan of non-versatile backups) and he has absolutely no offensive upside.

Wouldn't have been my pick and I kind of dread seeing him step to the plate late in a game.

9. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (04-02-2013),pahster (04-01-2013),westofyou (04-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Well, you need a backup IF who can play SS. Problem with Izturis is he's barely played anything but SS (I'm not a fan of non-versatile backups) and he has absolutely no offensive upside.

Wouldn't have been my pick and I kind of dread seeing him step to the plate late in a game.
    So you would rather Burriss have made it? I just don't think you could go into the season with Cozart as the only SS on the roster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Good Luck this year guys. Just not too good.

What's been so fine about it. He's an underpowered out machine. Frankly, any slippage from his recent shoddy seasons and he's the worst player in MLB (rather than just an honorable mention for worst player).
    Cesar Izturis is a solid utility player, and has been his whole career. If he was any better, he'd be a starter somewhere.

Wilson Valdez last year is an example of a bad utility player, and even he was useful at times last season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by MattyHo4Life View Post
    Good Luck this year guys. Just not too good.
    Well, even if it's just a little luck you're sending our way, add that to a lot of talent, and I think we're in good shape.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    So you would rather Burriss have made it? I just don't think you could go into the season with Cozart as the only SS on the roster.
    Start listing names and I'd have preferred the guy. Izturis is Castro with less versatility.

I don't want to make all that big a deal of it, because I don't think Izturis' inconsequential game actually hurts all that much as long as he rarely plays. That said, I don't think he helps in the slightest.
    Last edited by M2; 04-01-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Cesar Izturis is a solid utility player, and has been his whole career. If he was any better, he'd be a starter somewhere.
    You'll have to explain to me how a guy who hasn't posted an OB above .300 since 2008 qualifies as a solid anything. And he's played a grand total of 18 games at positions other than SS in those years, so I don't see where he qualifies as much of a utility player either.

You'll have to explain to me how a guy who hasn't posted an OB above .300 since 2008 qualifies as a solid anything.
    He's solidly below average?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    He's solidly below average?
    at least he's consistently bad.

Turn Off Ads?