Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Zimmerman, Nationals agree to $100 million extension

-The Insider-

Zimmerman, Nationals agree to $100 million extension

Jim Bowden of MLB Network Radio reports that Ryan Zimmerman will earn $100 million with his new six-year extension.
    Bowden also says he'll get the no-trade clause he was looking for. The new deal is added on to the end of his current contract, meaning he'll earn $126 million over the next eight years, with the Nationals holding an option for 2020 that could bring the deal to a total of $150 million. Interestingly, the guaranteed money is the exact same amount Jayson Werth signed for last offseason, though Werth's deal was for seven years. The third baseman is a career .288/.355/.479 hitter across seven seasons, all of which, of course, he has played for the Nationals.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Zimmerman, Nationals agree to $100 million extension

I suppose it would be wishful thinking to consider that this might lower Votto's asking price for an extension?

From 2009 to 2011, Votto and Zimmerman have been almost equally valuable, at least in terms of WAR, and they're close to the same age. It would be nice if 100 million, 6 years served as the model for a Votto extension, as opposed to the 160 million or so I've seen batted around in other articles. Of course, a lot of Zimmerman's value in terms of WAR comes from his defense, which still seems to be undervalued in the market, and I suppose he might have taken a smaller deal than Votto could expect, given that Zimmerman has had more physical difficulties during his career than Votto has.

-The Insider-

But you gotta put into somewhat of an account that Zimmerman has not been healthy, and is only an one-time All-Star. Where as Votto has been healthy, a two-time All-Star, and has a MVP trophy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    But you gotta put into somewhat of an account that Zimmerman has not been healthy, and is only an one-time All-Star. Where as Votto has been healthy, a two-time All-Star, and has a MVP trophy as well.
    It's hard to believe Zimmerman only has one AS appearance, given how successful his (non-AS) 2007 and 2010 were. I suppose playing for a pretty poor team the last few years doesn't help his chances of getting voted in, but the guy has three of the best seasons by an NL 3B in recent memory.

Good point about the MVP award, as well. I almost wish Votto hadn't won, so he might have remained underrated and that much cheaper. Of course, I'm not sure what kind of effect winning an MVP has on subsequent contracts a player receives-- I assume it can't hurt, but has anyone ever looked at the contracts MVP-winners sign compared to similar players who haven't won the award?

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Hmmm...I'd keep an eye on their 3rd base prospect Anthony Rendon this year and think about targeting him in any future deal. It looks like Zimmerman is there to stay and both of them are plus fielders, so it may be a Votto/Alonso type situation in the near future.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post
    It's hard to believe Zimmerman only has one AS appearance, given how successful his (non-AS) 2007 and 2010 were. I suppose playing for a pretty poor team the last few years doesn't help his chances of getting voted in, but the guy has three of the best seasons by an NL 3B in recent memory.

Good point about the MVP award, as well. I almost wish Votto hadn't won, so he might have remained underrated and that much cheaper. Of course, I'm not sure what kind of effect winning an MVP has on subsequent contracts a player receives-- I assume it can't hurt, but has anyone ever looked at the contracts MVP-winners sign compared to similar players who haven't won the award?
    It's more of a thing for Votto to use. "Ok, Zimmeman got $100 million by only hitting X, having an OBP of X (ect) while I've done that plus this, this and this." It'll up the price.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Nats are really serious about contending for awhile. They are going all out.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

It's more of a thing for Votto to use. "Ok, Zimmeman got $100 million by only hitting X, having an OBP of X (ect) while I've done that plus this, this and this." It'll up the price.
    It will only up the price if teams are dumb enough to put stock into an award rather than actual production. I imagine that some might be. But they shouldn't be. Production is production. Awards don't change that production.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It will only up the price if teams are dumb enough to put stock into an award rather than actual production. I imagine that some might be. But they shouldn't be. Production is production. Awards don't change that production.
    But the award backs the production. Votto's numbers are way better in virtually every category compared to Zimmerman. Wouldn't that warrant a bigger deal?

But the award backs the production. Votto's numbers are way better in virtually every category compared to Zimmerman. Wouldn't that warrant a bigger deal?
    The numbers, yes. The award, no. If two players had the exact same numbers, but one had an MVP award or two (same position as well), would one be worth more than the other?

-The Insider-

Forget the stupid award, my point is that his numbers are way better therefore he wil get a larger deal. Damn.

Forget the stupid award, my point is that his numbers are way better therefore he wil get a larger deal. Damn.
    Sure, but someone brought up earlier that having an MVP award will or could get him more simply because he has it. You quoted that post and went off of that, so I was also still talking about that.

-The Insider-

I didn't mean it only hanging on the MVP award, I just meant that his stats in general were better, thus deserving more money.

Turn Off Ads?