Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 73 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Re: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Like Jesse, I'm out.

Still some great scenes and great acting, but just too outlandish of a plot with too many plot holes.

It was explained to me after previous episodes that the plot holes were due to Walt's insanity. So when did Mike go insane? No way that a guy who vets a crew for a living would hire such an incompetent boob as a lawyer, a lawyer who would flip on him and everyone the second he's caught. Plus no way Mike would call Saul to help him get his escape bag, or let Walt be the one that gets it for him. Mike just ain't that sloppy. and there's too many more to mention.

I said before that it was slowly becoming a Telemundo Telenovela... Well it's full on novela now. I'll keep TiVo'ing it just in case, but I just don't care what happens to the characters anymore, and have no desire to watch it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Here's how I see the series end. I think the downward spiral continues until Walt has lost everything, including his empire. In his desperation, he makes some mistakes blowing his cover and eventually a shoot out with the DEA. After being shot and laying there dying, we get a quick zoom into Walt's eyes and then we are suddenly transported back to Walt sitting in the doctors office receiving the news that he has cancer. The whole series is a quick thought of Walt in light of his received tragic news.

It's likely not going to happen, but that'd be neat.
    The "it was just a dream" angle has been used on shows before, and it usually winds up alienating the viewers. I personally hate the idea and will be upset if that's the route it goes.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I agree that Walt bringing the escape bag is a problem. I guess you can either buy that he wouldn't want to risk Jesse and thought Saul might be watched or not, but it is unlikely.

Worse I thought was Mike not taking Walt's keys with him when he tied him to the radiator.

That being said, finishing shows is always rough. The Wire's fifth season was its worst. There's only 9 episodes left so I'll certainly stick around to see how it ends, and I'm still enjoying the show despite the flaws.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Like Jesse, I'm out.

Still some great scenes and great acting, but just too outlandish of a plot with too many plot holes.

It was explained to me after previous episodes that the plot holes were due to Walt's insanity. So when did Mike go insane? No way that a guy who vets a crew for a living would hire such an incompetent boob as a lawyer, a lawyer who would flip on him and everyone the second he's caught. Plus no way Mike would call Saul to help him get his escape bag, or let Walt be the one that gets it for him. Mike just ain't that sloppy. and there's too many more to mention.

I said before that it was slowly becoming a Telemundo Telenovela... Well it's full on novela now. I'll keep TiVo'ing it just in case, but I just don't care what happens to the characters anymore, and have no desire to watch it.
    I'm not sure why you find this so outlandish. First off, Mike does background checks on everyone. What would come up in a background check that would let Mike know a lawyer would flip on someone? Even the best background checks wouldn't catch everyone, nor would anyone be perfect at reading someone. If anything, given almost all criminals are eventually caught, it's more outlandish to think even someone like Mike wouldn't eventually slip up. Mike's pride was bound to haunt him at some point, as he often was practically bragging that his guys would never flip as he was sure of their selections. Criminals that start feeling like they're too good to mess up often do mess up. Mike's over-confidence was bound to catch up with him if you're looking at it from a practical standpoint.

As far as Mike calling Saul to help him get his escape bag, why not? Mike even said on the phone he couldn't get near the airport because they were watching for him. He needed to have someone pick it up that wasn't being tailed. He let Walt do it because Walt clearly had an investment in Mike's security.

I really don't see how you think this is so outlandish. If anything, the writing of this show has been very realistic and it's been a very controlled, methodical development.
    Last edited by Brutus; 08-28-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I'm not sure why you find this so outlandish. First off, Mike does background checks on everyone. What would come up in a background check that would let Mike know a lawyer would flip on someone? Even the best background checks wouldn't catch everyone, nor would anyone be perfect at reading someone. If anything, given almost all criminals are eventually caught, it's more outlandish to think even someone like Mike wouldn't eventually slip up. Mike's pride was bound to haunt him at some point, as he often was practically bragging that his guys would never flip as he was sure of their selections. Criminals that start feeling like they're too good to mess up often do mess up. Mike's over-confidence was bound to catch up with him if you're looking at it from a practical standpoint.

As far as Mike calling Saul to help him get his escape bag, why not? Mike even said on the phone he couldn't get near the airport because they were watching for him. He needed to have someone pick it up that wasn't being tailed. He let Walt do it because Walt clearly had an investment in Mike's security.

I really don't see how you think this is so outlandish. If anything, the writing of this show has been very realistic and it's been a very controlled, methodical development.
    If Mike could buy the silence of nine criminals, he could buy the silence of one lawyer. And i'm sure there are more people in Mike's Rolodex than Saul, Walt and Jesse, lol.

If Mike could buy the silence of nine criminals, he could buy the silence of one lawyer. And i'm sure there are more people in Mike's Rolodex than Saul, Walt and Jesse, lol.
    Perhaps he didn't think, because of legal implications, he would be burned by an attorney (after all, one of the reasons he was using his attorney is because of an expectation of attorney-client privilege). Besides, the attorney was already on his payroll... wouldn't that have automatically been assumed that his silence was understood since he was being paid to represent Mike?

As far as his Rolodex, maybe he felt most of his guys were compromised? Even if one accepts that Mike knows other people, it doesn't invalidate his rationale to call Saul (no pun intended).

You're really overthinking this. And it seems to me that you're making assumptions that the show has not really established to be able to make.

Just because he didn't call who you think he should call, i.e. some non-existent character, doesn't make his choice outlandish.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

This is how Jonathan Banks, who played Mike, explains the end of his character. Came from an interview with Vulture.com.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/08/break...witter_vulture

It’s easy to wrap a nice bow on it and say, “He worked with bad men who knew they were bad men.” Just before I go to kill Lydia, I go to kill one of my own guys. He tries to explain to me why he did it, he had to do it, the pressure that was on him. And Mike’s response was, “I know. I understand.” Then he shoots him. I think that’s the world that Mike lived in. And I think every time he pulled the trigger, he went deeper into his own hell and lost another piece of himself. I can justify why Mike had his guard down at the end: There had been too many killings.
    It's always interesting to me to hear how actors work their motivations into the story, and we may never see it.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I read an interview where Banks said viewers should have been screaming "No half measures, Mike!!" during this season.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Like Jesse, I'm out.

Seriously with your way of thinking you should have stopped with Gus's face was blown off and he walked 15 years to adjust his tie before dropping dead.

Just in enjoy what Vince gives us each week: A very uncomfortable journey but clear and yet complex treatment of morality.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Seriously with your way of thinking you should have stopped with Gus's face was blown off and he walked 15 years to adjust his tie before dropping dead.

Just in enjoy what Vince gives us each week: A very uncomfortable journey but clear and yet complex treatment of morality.
    I actually had problems with the believability of the show way before that. I kept watching because there are so many other great elements to it. It's just too much for me now. Like I said, I just don't care how it ends up or what happens to the characters anymore. But I usually feel that way after the third season of every drama, so lasting this long is a testimant to how good the show has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    The Wire's fifth season was its worst.
    There were only 4 seasons of The Wire. There was no 5th season. There were only 2 Godfathers as well.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    There were only 4 seasons of The Wire. There was no 5th season. There were only 2 Godfathers as well.
    I always wished they would make more Star Wars movies after Return of the Jedi, but I guess it'll never happen.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    It was weird how they just skipped Season 2 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    It was weird how they just skipped Season 2 as well.
    Season 5 could have been skipped, I think Simon was too close to the newspaper industry, too much inside baseball. And the McNulty story thread was silly.

Season 2 wasn't my favorite but it was vital to the overall thesis.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I've never understood the criticism of season 2. It's different, but I thought it was awesome.

Turn Off Ads?