Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Road trip planner

The Road trip planner

Next spring late...about this time or a bit earlier I'm heading out on the motorcycle roadtrip of dreams...Billings...Bakersfield..Pebsacola...Dayto n and ending at GABP. Any ideas on other historic minor league parks or routes not to miss between these points? Went Harley hunting for a new ride for the trip today. Haven't decided whole "hog" or lean and sportsterized...but I'm already jazzed out of my mind. From mid June to early September seeing the kids play...chasing breezes and winding highways...waiting to hear the crack of the bat and pipes roaring...

A bucket list thing and I'm going for it...bike baseball and America!

2. Likes:

mdccclxix (06-27-2013),Roy Tucker (07-19-2013),Tom Servo (06-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Road trip planner

Sounds like a great time....I am jealous. When I retire that will be one of my items I would like to do as well....even if I am not on a hog, I'd like to be traveling the country watching minor league games and catching the reds when they are on road trips....I've always said if I hit the lottery I would be the best scout a team could have...I would not need the money and I would be at almost every minor league game I could find. MiLB is so much fun to watch and follow.....you see players give 100% from the minute their cleats hit the dirt or grass till the second the last out is made......it's refreshing, I wish more MLB players would watch these lower class players and see their heart and hustle and realize how lucky they are.

Anyhow, can't wait to hear the story of your road trip friend. Take pics and log on here at least weekly to keep us posted.

Just a couple of thoughts to maybe get the conversation moving.

Can you give us a rough sense of what your route will be. I see you're in the KC area and you named each minor league affiliate, but it's a bit hard to suggest anything without an idea of where you'll be passing through.

I did a quick Google Map make up and my guess would be you'll head to Billings first, then Bakersfield, all the way to Pensacola, then Dayton and finally Cincy. That's about 5200 miles (flipping the first two - how you had them listed - adds 500 miles to that - but I'm not suggesting you were necessarily meaning to go that way).

Now that said, may I suggest you create a blog to keep us all posted on your travels (something like "harleybbroadtrip" or something like that). It should be fun and sounds like a dream come true.

BTW, our daughter gave my wife & I a tri-fold map showing every Major League and Minor League ballpark, plus various shrines. I can't find it googling, but when I stop home at lunch, I'll look at it and give you the info. It's a dream of our's to take a long baseball trip.

How about starting your trip right there at home with a visit (and a full report!) to the Negro League Museum.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

PIics will be a must. Redmetz...you got the general route perfect. Now its just deciding on stops. Omaha...maybe a college WS game...then northerly and west or west then north to Billings. North and west I could run through Fargo, Huron, Helena etc.
    West then north goes through Nebraska and Wyoming bends north at Cheyenne...

As for the Negro League Museum....been there! Fabulous. I DO need to return and this time take notes and pics and make a report. I met Buck O'Neill at that time (half of KC probably has - he knew no strangers!)

As for the trip...except for the Reds finale I plan on attending strictly minor league parks. LOL...at big league prices I couldn't afford much of a tour.

BTW, our daughter gave my wife & I a tri-fold map showing every Major League and Minor League ballpark, plus various shrines. I can't find it googling, but when I stop home at lunch, I'll look at it and give you the info. It's a dream of our's to take a long baseball trip.
    I have the Professor Pathfinder's Baseball Travel Map - but I can't remember where I purchased it! It was either B&N or Joseph Beth Booksellers (local). Mine is from 2010 - but it seems every year franchises in the minors are changing - so even the most up-to-date version is out-of-date. Paid around $9 for mine but that's a very small amount considering how well laid out the map is...
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    PIics will be a must. Redmetz...you got the general route perfect. Now its just deciding on stops. Omaha...maybe a college WS game...then northerly and west or west then north to Billings. North and west I could run through Fargo, Huron, Helena etc.
    West then north goes through Nebraska and Wyoming bends north at Cheyenne...

As for the Negro League Museum....been there! Fabulous. I DO need to return and this time take notes and pics and make a report. I met Buck O'Neill at that time (half of KC probably has - he knew no strangers!)

As for the trip...except for the Reds finale I plan on attending strictly minor league parks. LOL...at big league prices I couldn't afford much of a tour.
    I'm jealous. I've always wanted to meet Buck O'Neal. An exceptional man and baseball's greatest ambassador.

Here's a link that could help you out. It's google maps so you can easily create directions to and from different places: http://www.milb.com/milb/info/geographical.jsp

And another, non interactive map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...aseballmap.PNG

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    I have the Professor Pathfinder's Baseball Travel Map - but I can't remember where I purchased it! It was either B&N or Joseph Beth Booksellers (local). Mine is from 2010 - but it seems every year franchises in the minors are changing - so even the most up-to-date version is out-of-date. Paid around $9 for mine but that's a very small amount considering how well laid out the map is...
    Got around to scanning the map - but RZ is having a hard time uploading the attachments - I'll see if I can put it on one of my blogs to access.

and I did it! Go here...

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/allmyphotos
    Last edited by KittyDuran; 07-18-2013 at 08:51 PM.
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

That is a nicely done map Kitty....thank you!

Got around to scanning the map - but RZ is having a hard time uploading the attachments - I'll see if I can put it on one of my blogs to access.

and I did it! Go here...

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/allmyphotos
    That link won't work now... let me work on it. Thanks!

That link won't work now... let me work on it. Thanks!
    http://allmyphotos.tumblr.com/

Turn Off Ads?