Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why aren't we using Broxton more?

Why aren't we using Broxton more?

Dusty keeps going to Hoover in high leverage situations, when he has Broxton in the pen with what, 4 innings under his belt?

The guy is paid to be a stopper. I don't care if you have to use him in the 7th, get him in there. I've had enough of the "defined role" in relief pitching. When we tied the game tonight, Brox should have been in there to keep the game tied, not to set up later for Chapman.

Burn that bridge when you come to it. Keep the tie in place, and if you get a lead, then go to Chapman.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why aren't we using Broxton more?

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    Dusty keeps going to Hoover in high leverage situations, when he has Broxton in the pen with what, 4 innings under his belt?

The guy is paid to be a stopper. I don't care if you have to use him in the 7th, get him in there. I've had enough of the "defined role" in relief pitching. When we tied the game tonight, Brox should have been in there to keep the game tied, not to set up later for Chapman.

Burn that bridge when you come to it. Keep the tie in place, and if you get a lead, then go to Chapman.
    Saving him to pitch against Quentin when they play the Pads.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Thats a very good question! Didn't we just shell out a good wad of cash to keep him around?

Quote Originally Posted by leeech86 View Post
    Thats a very good question! Didn't we just shell out a good wad of cash to keep him around?
    Indeed we did. I remember an earlier game in extras where Dusty didn't use him. Even the announcers were acting like we had run out of pitchers.

I had left for about 30 minutes, so I didn't know who had been in the game, but when I turned it back on I was thinking "Why not use Broxton? Has he been used already?".

It turns out he wasn't used at all. We lost that one, I believe thanks to Hoover. We could have used him in place of Hoover tonight.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Dusty is waiting to use him a whole bunch when we hit a slow point in the season so we can start a "Why is Broxton being over used?" thread and have something to talk about.

Perhaps he's trying to get Hoover's confidence level back up?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Dusty is waiting to use him a whole bunch when we hit a slow point in the season so we can start a "Why is Broxton being over used?" thread and have something to talk about.
    Funny.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

The better question is why we committed 21 million guaranteed dollars to this guy when he was pitching in traffic all of last year, better guys were available for less in $$ or trade, our offense was mediocre last year, we lack offensive depth, and Ludwick is coming off a career year.
    Stick to your guns.

Why aren't we using Broxton more? After todays game I would hazzard a guess and venture that Dusty know's that Broxton

broxton hadn't pitched in awhile and was evidently rusty but even with rust he still pitched worse than i expected.

I'm surprised. I figured that since Broxton knew he would only be used in the 8th inning that he was going to be ready to go. He knew his role! What happened?!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm surprised. I figured that since Broxton knew he would only be used in the 8th inning that he was going to be ready to go. He knew his role! What happened?!
    This whole week revealed the glaring weakness of using pitchers only in their predefined roles. Probably cost the Reds at least two wins.

The good news is that it looks like Baker is slowly changing his mind on this. We'll see.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This whole week revealed the glaring weakness of using pitchers only in their predefined roles. Probably cost the Reds at least two wins.

The good news is that it looks like Baker is slowly changing his mind on this. We'll see.
    What leads you to believe he is changing his mind on this?

"But we’ve got to get him (broxton) more work" -Dusty Baker

Unless he plans to change the rules so that there are multiple 8th innings in a game, I read that as Baker saying that he plans to use Broxton in more than just the 8th inning of games that the Reds are winning.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    "But we’ve got to get him (broxton) more work" -Dusty Baker

Unless he plans to change the rules so that there are multiple 8th innings in a game, I read that as Baker saying that he plans to use Broxton in more than just the 8th inning of games that the Reds are winning.
    Or he's saying that they have to stop being behind in the 8th so that Broxton can pitch.

I never count on Baker to realize anything.

Turn Off Ads?