Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Telemarketing, what's the deal?

Telemarketing, what's the deal?

Hi, is Mr. or Mrs. (Your name Here________) available?

Heard this right before a pitch of some sort lately? It might have been me and if so I apologize! Just started a new job recently and this is what I have been reduced to, calling people in the middle of supper to pummel them into submission with a mouthful of ammunition.

I realize it's aggravating I do. That said why must people be so doggone rude on the other end. They seem to forget that despite the fact that the corporations are pushing this thing the person on the other end is just doing a job and must be persistent or they lose their job, and they also seem to forget that it's usualy a good cause we are calling for. Why shoot the messenger and why so much hate and disregard for the message?

I bet 1 out of about 50 actually are willing to take part in a donation or some sort of action for these specific causes I have called for, IMO pretty sad.

What say you guys as probably some of those who have been called and perhaps even excessively?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Telemarketing, what's the deal?

Tough job Mario. I admire people that can do it/take it.

I'll listen to the opening spiel of the telemarketer, at least to the point where they take their first breath.

99 times out of 100, I'm not interested enough to pursue the conversation. At which time I will give the telemarketer a graceful "out" of the conversation. If they don't pick up on the hint and wrap things up quickly, I'll just hang up. You called me, I didn't call you.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I say.. Please remove me from your call list and then I listen for reply, then I say it again, and again and again and again.

I loath cold call sales calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I bet 1 out of about 50 actually are willing to take part in a donation or some sort of action for these specific causes I have called for, IMO pretty sad.

What say you guys as probably some of those who have been called and perhaps even excessively?

I don't know how you can do a job where you get rejected 98% of the time.

I wish telemarketers would ask a question like do you want what I'm selling? Instead they say "let me confirm your address and I'll send this right out." That's not being honest. If I say I'm not interested, thank you for calling then accept it, move on and call someone else who might say yes. If you persist then I will hang up on you

You will always run across people that are rude, but you have to remember that these people have no idea who you are or what you want. In the first 15 seconds of that call you have to tell them who you are and why they should care. 50% of people will still shut you down and then you have to have 2 or 3 RELEVENT pieces of data to tell them why they should still care (I don't know what you are selling but I'm sure you can think of some examples).

Another thing you must do is practice. Have your opening down absolutely stone cold. Who you are and why they care. And have your back up data ready to go.

Even then you are going to get shut down well over half the time if not more and that's fine. It's a numbers game. If after 45 seconds they aren't interested thank them for their time and move on and make the next call.

Good luck.

Oh and another thing. Ditch the "Is (insert name here) available?" opening. That things out as a sales call and you immediately put that person on the defensive.

They pick up just say their name and fairly loudly. "Mr. JONES!"
    They will always say yes and then go right into your opening that you have practiced and have down stone cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I'll listen to the opening spiel of the telemarketer, at least to the point where they take their first breath.

99 times out of 100, I'm not interested enough to pursue the conversation. At which time I will give the telemarketer a graceful "out" of the conversation. If they don't pick up on the hint and wrap things up quickly, I'll just hang up. You called me, I didn't call you.
    Ya know it's funny I don't mind that so much, in fact it's the easiest way to get me out of a tough situation. Problem is that is worse for you than it is for the caller/me. When you just hang up you lose your leverage to keep it from happening again. I don't know if your kid accidentally hung up the phone, the dog pulled the wire out of the wall or you just hung up, so I must mark the call in such a manner that we end up calling you back.

The ones that get me are the ones that here the whole spiel and then act like I just asked for their 1st born and everything in their savings account. I have been turned down I don't even know how many times by numerous folks over asking for something that costs less than a can of soda and only as a one time donation and may cost them all of five minutes of their time at most. People just are so perplexing.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I just let my almost-three year-old son answer the phone all the time. I've taught him how to turn on the speaker phone, so I can monitor what is being said. If it's family calling, they're delighted. If it's a telemarketer, they're baffled into submission.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I say.. Please remove me from your call list and then I listen for reply, then I say it again, and again and again and again.

I loath cold call sales calls.
    Again nothing better for me except a quick yeah I'll buy whatever you are selling. If you immediately cut me off firmly but politely and suggest this you just got me off the hook on the call. I might pause as I rustle around looking for the area of which I need to reply "accordingly" and document it but I will say something momentarily. Problem is people say that and I MUST confirm their info in order to put this action into effect and before I can they hang up thinking that is all they have to do/say and there is nothing else I need to do to get it done.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I just let my almost-three year-old son answer the phone all the time. I've taught him how to turn on the speaker phone, so I can monitor what is being said. If it's family calling, they're delighted. If it's a telemarketer, they're baffled into submission.
    I love when kids answer they are so polite (most of the time anyway), it's frankly quite cute usually. And this gives me an out if they say you aren't there, but again we will be calling again until you stop it.

--Woody Hayes

When you just hang up you lose your leverage to keep it from happening again. I don't know if your kid accidentally hung up the phone, the dog pulled the wire out of the wall or you just hung up, so I must mark the call in such a manner that we end up calling you back.
    Well that's a problem with your company's policy. You can't be so dense as to not know when someone hung up on you. By putting this number back into the pot to be called again you're just setting up another member of your staff for failure and more wasted time. Let's look at this logically, if a telemarketer hears "click" which are the chances of the following happening?

1) Dog chewed the cord
    2) Kid hit the hangup
    3) Person intentionally hung up the phone

I'd say it's about 98% number 3.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Oh and another thing. Ditch the "Is (insert name here) available?" opening. That things out as a sales call and you immediately put that person on the defensive.

They pick up just say their name and fairly loudly. "Mr. JONES!"
    They will always say yes and then go right into your opening that you have practiced and have down stone cold.
    Well often I have to wait for them to say something if I don't use that line which takes as much or more time. Nothing worse than saying "Mrs. Jones?" and the guy responds with "Do I sound like a Mrs., click"! I need to find something smoother.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Well that's a problem with your company's policy. You can't be so dense as to not know when someone hung up on you. By putting this number back into the pot to be called again you're just setting up another member of your staff for failure and more wasted time. Let's look at this logically, if a telemarketer hears "click" which are the chances of the following happening?

1) Dog chewed the cord
    2) Kid hit the hangup
    3) Person intentionally hung up the phone

I'd say it's about 98% number 3.
    And, when you figure how many people we call and how many of those 2-3% or more aren't on purpose that may donate how much money or whatever you are looking for will you lose over the course of time?

--Woody Hayes

Well often I have to wait for them to say something if I don't use that line which takes as much or more time. Nothing worse than saying "Mrs. Jones?" and the guy responds with "Do I sound like a Mrs., click"! I need to find something smoother.
    Well in that case obviously ask if the person you are calling for is available or just switch it to Mr. Jones.

Pretend like you are calling one of your friends parents. Like its someone you've known all your life but that you wouldn't normally call. That's the tone and confidence you should take into that call.

Turn Off Ads?