Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Most overrated player in baseball?

Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

Jimmy Rollins except 2004-2006
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Brandon Phillips? Gulp.
    Wait for it, wait for it.......

Why does every thread always turn into a Brandon Phillips bashing......
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

"Now batting, No. 2, Derek... Jettah."
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Can you have 3000 hits and be overrated?

I say no

6. Likes:

Always Red (08-23-2013),Big Klu (08-23-2013),CoachBombay (08-23-2013),Cursh14 (09-01-2013),reds44 (08-23-2013)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

I say no
    Present tense. He's had an amazing career.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Present tense. He's had an amazing career.
    didn't he have the most hits last year?

I'll second thw BJ Upton nomination. WOY's Sandoval is also a good name. Starlin Castro is high on my list of overrated as well.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-23-2013 at 06:22 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

cincinnati chili (08-23-2013),Tom Servo (08-23-2013)

Ichiro Suzuki is the most overrated player in baseball today and possibly in the history of baseball. Many people think he is one of the most elite hitters in baseball history but the stats paint a different picture.

Ichiro has a .778 OPS for his career, which is 83rd out of only 187 active players with 3000 career plate appearances. That is "middle of the pack" for those not too good at math. He is 621st out of about 1500 players in history with 3000+ Plate Appearances. Not very impressive by any stretch of the imagination.

Ichiro's career OPS+ is only 112, which makes him a little above average as a hitter in his career, yet some people think he is an automatic 1st ballot Hall of Famer. Boggles my mind.

I realize some people still love them some good old-fashioned Batting Average, but even there his career AVG is only .3199, good for 53rd all-time and 4th among active players. Not really one of the very best ever.

He rarely works a walk, which really puts a damper on his OBP. He has very little power (0.096 Isolated Power) and rarely gets extra base hits. Ichiro is a slap hitter, nothing more. He is simply not an elite hitter.

Even though Ichiro came to the USA after playing several seasons in Japan he is still 7th among all active players in career Plate Appearances (and will be 5th by the end of the season), so it is not like he has been cheated for lack of opportunity. By the time he retires he will likely be in the top 50 All Time for most plate appearances. He has averaged 727 PAs per season, a very high number.

Ichiro is a good all-around player. He is a slightly above average hitter, an excellent baserunner and an excellent defensive outfielder. But he is not worthy of being labelled one of the best players in the history of the game. There have been hundreds of players who were a LOT better than Ichiro Suzuki.

Derek Jeter and Jacoby Ellsbury are also highly overrated for many of the same reasons.

12. Likes:

IABucFan (08-24-2013),joshua (08-23-2013),pahster (08-23-2013),Red in Chicago (08-23-2013),RedsBaron (08-23-2013),Spitball (08-23-2013)

You forgot the tag at the end, here, I'll fix it...."No. 2". (although I don't think he's overrated....just older and banged up).

Prince Fielder as Ironman said.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Ichiro Suzuki is the most overrated player in baseball today and possibly in the history of baseball. Many people think he is one of the most elite hitters in baseball history but the stats paint a different picture.

Ichiro has a .778 OPS for his career, which is 83rd out of only 187 active players with 3000 career plate appearances. That is "middle of the pack" for those not too good at math. He is 621st out of about 1500 players in history with 3000+ Plate Appearances. Not very impressive by any stretch of the imagination.

Ichiro's career OPS+ is only 112, which makes him a little above average as a hitter in his career, yet some people think he is an automatic 1st ballot Hall of Famer. Boggles my mind.

I realize some people still love them some good old-fashioned Batting Average, but even there his career AVG is only .3199, good for 53rd all-time and 4th among active players. Not really one of the very best ever.

He rarely works a walk, which really puts a damper on his OBP. He has very little power (0.096 Isolated Power) and rarely gets extra base hits. Ichiro is a slap hitter, nothing more. He is simply not an elite hitter.

Even though Ichiro came to the USA after playing several seasons in Japan he is still 7th among all active players in career Plate Appearances (and will be 5th by the end of the season), so it is not like he has been cheated for lack of opportunity. By the time he retires he will likely be in the top 50 All Time for most plate appearances. He has averaged 727 PAs per season, a very high number.

Ichiro is a good all-around player. He is a slightly above average hitter, an excellent baserunner and an excellent defensive outfielder. But he is not worthy of being labelled one of the best players in the history of the game. There have been hundreds of players who were a LOT better than Ichiro Suzuki.

Derek Jeter and Jacoby Ellsbury are also highly overrated for many of the same reasons.
    Do you consider Pete Rose highly overrated then?

Rose's career:
    OPS .784
    OPS+ 118
    OBP .375
    BA .303
    SLG .409

Ichiro's career:
    OPS .778
    OPS+ 112
    OBP .362
    BA .320
    SLG .416

Not being argumenative, just like to get your take on this.
    Last edited by brad1176; 08-23-2013 at 07:37 AM.
    "You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." -Earl Weaver

16. Likes:

VottoFan54 (08-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

I say no
    Sure you can, if they give you a half dozen gold glove awards for it.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

18. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (08-23-2013),HeatherC1212 (08-23-2013),SirFelixCat (08-25-2013),Spitball (08-23-2013)

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Funny, I was just think this again tonight. I just don't get the love for Ellsbury.
    Most of it has to do with his laundry. Stick him in Houston or Miami and he's a nice hand to have around.

I'll throw my vote to the BJ upton nomination.
    "You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." -Earl Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by brad1176 View Post
    Do you consider Pete Rose highly overrated then?
    In Cincinnati he's WAY overrated, IMO.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?