Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Armando Galarraga perfect through 7

Re: Armando Galarraga perfect through 7

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Way to look for that silver lining, Pete.

CLASS would have been immediately overruling yourself and making the correct call.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I'm not sad for him at all. In that situation every ump knows to error big time on the side of the perfect game. Have you seen the call on the last pitch of Don Larson's perfect game? It wasn't even close but called a strike because you don't lose a perfect game on a close call. It always goes to the defense.

The fact that Joyce did not know that, or understand that is his own fault.
    Put me in the group who doesn't think it's a good idea for umpires to change the rules of the game to help people get achievements. There's close calls and then there's the last pitch of Larsen's perfecto. That was an ump helping a guy out, not one doing his job well.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

So is it an ump's job to call the play or is it to facilitate a perfect game? Obviously it was a miscall. But folks are honestly arguing that even if the runner beats the throw by a step, the ump should call him out to preserve the perfect game?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

So they're about to read Joyce's statement. Imagine if he asks for Selig to intervene and reverse the call.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Didn't look that close to me.
    Sickening

Give a manager one challenge per game. If the manager wins the challenge, he is awarded a 2nd.

Please stop posting/re-posting that gif. It effs with my browser.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Some of you guys are cracking me up with your reactions to a blown baseball call.

Next up.. What about the children?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Some of you guys are cracking me up with your reactions to a blown baseball call.

Next up.. What about the children?
    The indignation in this thread is making me very pious. I feel like correcting my 5 year old nephew's grammar all of a sudden.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Just saw Galarraga interviewed on MLB Network- I am now a big fan of the man. He showed incredible charity; said that Joyce was totally apologetic, and looked like he felt worse than Galarraga did.

Galarraga said that he gave Joyce a hug.
    Agreed. The best thing to come out of this is Galarraga has a whole bunch of new fans now. Classy dude.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Par for the course. The overall quality of umpiring in MLB is awful so this is no surprise. I get missing those extremely close calls, but there's no excuse for EVER missing that one. If you can't get a call THAT obvious right, then I don't know what you bring to the table as a MLB umpire.

Here's what happened: he saw it coming a mile away and he froze. He knew when the ball was hit that it was going to be somewhat close and he couldn't get that out of his head to actually watch the play. He out thought himself. When the play actually happened he had no clue if he was out or safe so he chose between being the guy that handed a pitcher a perfect game, or being the guy who stood his ground and didn't cave to pressure. He chose the latter.

I think it's that simple. Heck, I think umps guess on most close calls anyway.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Par for the course. The overall quality of umpiring in MLB is awful so this is no surprise. I get missing those extremely close calls, but there's no excuse for EVER missing that one. If you can't get a call THAT obvious right, then I don't know what you bring to the table as a MLB umpire.

Here's what happened: he saw it coming a mile away and he froze. He knew when the ball was hit that it was going to be somewhat close and he couldn't get that out of his head to actually watch the play. He out thought himself. When the play actually happened he had no clue if he was out or safe so he chose between being the guy that handed a pitcher a perfect game, or being the guy who stood his ground and didn't cave to pressure. He chose the latter.

I think it's that simple. Heck, I think umps guess on most close calls anyway.
    You've never made an obvious mistake in your life?

They happen. We're all human, folks.

I tell you, anyone that criticizes that kind of call has never been on the field umpiring. Those calls aren't so easy sometimes, even if you're in position. You're trying to watch the ball, the fielder's foot and the runner all at once.

He made a mistake. The sun will rise tomorrow and life will go on. Umpires should be treated no differently than anyone else. You make a mistake? Man up and admit it then move on. Joyce has already done that.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I messed up a call once in an all-star game. Called a kid out when he was obviously safe. I put the kid back on the bag, called over both managers, told them I screwed up, that I KNEW I screwed up, and was correcting my bad decision. The coach who the decision hurt whined a little bit but I had more than one person come up to me after the game and thank me for my honesty and willingness to recognize and rectify an error that was MY FAULT. It was embarrassing, but I knew I had done the right thing.

I'm sure Joyce is a good man and to his credit he completely owned up to it after the game.... made no attempt to make excuses. And like many others have already pointed out, it's baseball and nothing more. I certainly feel for the guy and without doubt plenty of people will no be able to put this in perspective.

But within the context of baseball, these calls should never be missed; and they're missed on a regular basis. Umpiring in the major leagues is a huge privilege and they get paid a ton of money to do it. If someone isn't good enough to do it superbly, he shouldn't be allowed to do it anymore. That's not personal, that's just the way the world works in any profession. It's not just this guy, it's a lot of the umpires.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

How many times have you seen a MLB ump reverse his own call? I may not like it, but I understand that the umps have no choice but to stick with their judgment; otherwise, then players, fans, and managers would call them wishy-washy and incompetent. Whether we like it or not, MLB umps have abided by that.

Now if you want to talk about replacing umps, then alright, but that's a different discussion. But if we're going with live umps, they can't just turn it into some existential exercise--the guy at first is vested with the authority to make those calls, and he doesn't have to reverse them.

Turn Off Ads?