Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Careful underestimating Katie's role. If I understand things correctly she is the person negotiating contracts.
    I believe that's correct. She negotiates the contracts, but she doesn't seem to make the decisions of who to negotiate with, if that makes any sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Careful underestimating Katie's role. If I understand things correctly she is the person negotiating contracts.
    Katie is the one who negotiates the contracts. But I agree with RiverRat in that I don't think she will be meddlesome in football operations. I am hopeful that when Mike is gone it becomes a Chicago Blackhawks scenario in that the next generation understands the follies of the previous one and makes those necessary changes.

Katie also manages the salary cap.

This draft will certainly be an interesting one. I can't remember a draft in the last 10 years that was this wide open, both in terms of the league in general and the Bengals' plan/targets specifically.

There are no guys that I'm dying for the Bengals to draft. As of now, I'd list my priorities like this (in order):

Pick 21
    1. Any of: A.Ogletree (LB) J.Jones (LB) Kenny Vaccaro (S)
    2. T.Austin (WR)
    3. Trade Down
    4. Any of: M.Teo (LB) D.Trufant (CB) T.Eifert (TE) C.Patterson (WR)
    5. E.Lacy (RB)

Pick 37
    1. Any of the above named players
    2. Any of: K.Allen (WR) M.Elam (S) J.Cyprien (S)
    3. Best OT available

Pick 53
    1. Best RB, WR, S, CB, or OT available

I do NOT want an offensive or defensive lineman in the first round. I'd much rather sign Hippo Smith or Eric Winston, and we don't need a DL that high after drafting Still and Thompson early last year.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-16-2013 at 11:14 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

The Bengals MO recently has been to draft a position of need in the 1st and then draft an abundance of DL men.

If it were up to me the 1st pick would be used to draft the BPA on defense. I would like to see Vaccaro in that spot but would be ok with a guy like Ogletree. I want someone in the back 7 who can make a play.

A couple of things the Bengals have done this off season have me thinking why? Resigning Gathers didn't make any sense to me. Bringing back B. Scott doesn't as well. And how Tate has a spot on a 54 man roster is beyond me. The Bengals could use help at RB, and a returner if Adam Jones is expected to play more corner this season. Gathers has had a productive career but is a little long in the tooth. To compound everything right now they need a RT. If Andre isn't signed then they will need to spend a draft pick on something they could have had in place.

when is the draft? Next week? Seems time is running out for Andre to score a decent size deal. I have yet to hear any word of him visiting other teams, which tells me the money his agent is asking for is significantly more than teams are willing to dish out. It also tells me that there are few teams out there that feel like they have a glaring hole at RT that only Andre can fill moving forward. Once the draft hits, a draft that is allegedly strong with RT types, the number of teams that feel like they still need to address RT is going to diminish further.

If Andre doesn't sign by draft day, he may be looking at a 1 year, $5 mil type contract w/ a minimal signing bonus. I don't know what the Bengals have on the table, but I've got to think that offer is starting to look better and better with each passing day. If teams weren't willing to meet his alleged $9 mil/per demands at the start of free agency, I can't imagine they're going to meet them today, and they're certainly not going to be in the same neighborhood once the draft has concluded.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The Bengals MO recently has been to draft a position of need in the 1st and then draft an abundance of DL men.

If it were up to me the 1st pick would be used to draft the BPA on defense. I would like to see Vaccaro in that spot but would be ok with a guy like Ogletree. I want someone in the back 7 who can make a play.

A couple of things the Bengals have done this off season have me thinking why? Resigning Gathers didn't make any sense to me. Bringing back B. Scott doesn't as well. And how Tate has a spot on a 54 man roster is beyond me. The Bengals could use help at RB, and a returner if Adam Jones is expected to play more corner this season. Gathers has had a productive career but is a little long in the tooth. To compound everything right now they need a RT. If Andre isn't signed then they will need to spend a draft pick on something they could have had in place.
    Scott signed a 1 year deal. If they were being honest with you, they probably look at his deal as a bit of insurance on training camp injuries with a guy who knows the position. We all assume they'll take a running back early in the draft, they've got BJGE in the fold, Peerman is back and Boom Heron is an option. Scott could be looking at a roster spot battle w/ Herron for the third RB behind BJGE, draftee and Peerman (FB).

I see Tate in a similar role, though w/ far less certaintity on the roster. He signed a 1 year deal, and there is likely no garuntee that makes the roster next season.

Gathers could be seen in a similar light, but as a guy w/ some versatility to fill in at DE or DT. D-linemen are often banged up, depth at his spot is needed.

At some point in preseason, all teams are going to need depth, due to injury. I presume its easier to fill in the depth w/ guys that have been around, know the system and are predictable in their dedication.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

It helps maintain the quota of the Bengals drafting and keeping their own..... Brown wants everyone to know that they are doing it the right way....this vindicates it, by keeping their own players even if they are mediocre and could/should be replaced. His ego is that massive, I believe.

Up until Geathers re-sign....I was fine with who they were bringing back....then they got stupid with it. Tate might not be a Bengal draft pick but he is a Bengal mid to late 90's type player.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Says who? There's a reason other teams aren't pining for him.
    ...The stats.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaboMVP View Post
    ...The stats.
    Given Andre's history, the "stats" as you refer to are a small sample size. IMO, he doesn't pass the eye test and him playing in a comfortable contract scares the hell out of me.
    Witty signature.

Talks broke off with Harrison today. Can't say I blame the Bengals as Harrison still feels he is worth 5 million per season. For my money I think Dansby is a better fit. I still am hoping for Dansby and Kerry Rhodes and start Collins in Andre's old spot.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Talks broke off with Harrison today. Can't say I blame the Bengals as Harrison still feels he is worth 5 million per season. For my money I think Dansby is a better fit. I still am hoping for Dansby and Kerry Rhodes and start Collins in Andre's old spot.
    There have been rumors circulating on the internet that Kerry Rhodes is gay. I am not passing judgment one way or the other I am just wondering if teams are going to be a little cautious knowing the media circus that would come to town if the rumors are true.

Give me Big Andre on contract with some weight stipulations and then your free to address other positions of need.

Sign Dansby and Smith and I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Sign Dansby and Smith and I'll be happy.
    This.

Also trading a 3rd rounder (or maybe late 2nd) for Branden Albert or signing Eric Winston are two other alternatives to the HippopotaSmith
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Given Andre's history, the "stats" as you refer to are a small sample size. IMO, he doesn't pass the eye test and him playing in a comfortable contract scares the hell out of me.
    I don't really care about your opinion. I'm talking football, where his stats have backed up his dominance in the AFC.
    Last edited by SaboMVP; 04-18-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Turn Off Ads?