Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Comic Book Talk!

Senor Votto

Re: Comic Book Talk!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Bumping this up...

The Buffy "Season 8" series has been great. I'm getting it for a friend (and huge Buffy fan/but non-comic fan) for Christmas. Angel season 6 #1 just came out, but I haven't seen it yet.

Other comic stuff...

Not sure how we didn't bump this up with the death of Captain America. Book still rocks, which considering Cap isn't even in it anymore, is pretty awesome.

Bru/Lark's DAREDEVIL continues to bring the awesome as well.

Over in DC, about the only thing that is great is the Sinestro War storyline in the Lantern books. Nearly everything else is blah, though Waid back on Flash (and the return of WALLY~!) is getting better.
    I read some where that someone was going to take Steve Rogers place as Capt. America. Did anyone ever take over? I haven't picked up a comic in probably 6 years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I read some where that someone was going to take Steve Rogers place as Capt. America. Did anyone ever take over? I haven't picked up a comic in probably 6 years.
    The "new" Cap will debut in a couple of months. They haven't announced yet if it's a all new character or a repackaged one yet (like Bucky)

The rumor buzz is that it'll be Bucky, but I don't see Bru going that route, just because it's the most obvious choice.

Personally, I don't think Steve Rogers is actually dead. I think Nick Fury is up to some shenanigans.

Hey Comic book aficionados. A neighbor gave us a big box of comic books from the 50's, about 200, altogether. I urged them to see what they might be worth before just giving them away. They said they wouldn't be worth anything and wanted to give them to us for our kids.

I have done some research on pricing and condition and have found that about 50 of these are in the $20 price range (using Overstreet's Comic Book Price Guide), a handful that are in the $30 price range and one or two that may be worth $100. Most of them are worth a few dollars.

Does anyone here have any experience with selling or buying vintage comics? I am trying to decide if the prices I am seeing really are accurate. In my experience with helping people price old books, there is a difference between what a guide will say and what the market will actually reveal. For instance, while we have been researching these comic books we haven't seen anything on Ebay that comes close to the values we have seen in Overstreet. Initially, I thought it was because my estimation of the condition was too optimistic, but after more research I am pretty sure about what we have here, in terms of the condition of the covers and pages. Some of these look like they were read maybe once and then stored.

If anyone wants to give me some advice, I'd be thrilled to hear from you. I'm really trying to decide if it is going to be worth it to pursue bagging, boarding and selling some of them.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

check out ebay and see what they're selling for. That's probably a more realistic gauge of their "worth."

I think I've heard that if you take them to a comic book store to sell they'll give you a handful of peanuts and send you on your way.

Find out if there is a comic convention scheduled for your area anytime soon. You can usually find someone to make a deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Hey Comic book aficionados. A neighbor gave us a big box of comic books from the 50's, about 200, altogether. I urged them to see what they might be worth before just giving them away. They said they wouldn't be worth anything and wanted to give them to us for our kids.

I have done some research on pricing and condition and have found that about 50 of these are in the $20 price range (using Overstreet's Comic Book Price Guide), a handful that are in the $30 price range and one or two that may be worth $100. Most of them are worth a few dollars.

Does anyone here have any experience with selling or buying vintage comics? I am trying to decide if the prices I am seeing really are accurate. In my experience with helping people price old books, there is a difference between what a guide will say and what the market will actually reveal. For instance, while we have been researching these comic books we haven't seen anything on Ebay that comes close to the values we have seen in Overstreet. Initially, I thought it was because my estimation of the condition was too optimistic, but after more research I am pretty sure about what we have here, in terms of the condition of the covers and pages. Some of these look like they were read maybe once and then stored.

If anyone wants to give me some advice, I'd be thrilled to hear from you. I'm really trying to decide if it is going to be worth it to pursue bagging, boarding and selling some of them.
    I used to be an eBay powerseller and have sold a ton of books there- Golden Age to Current. The first thing I'll tell you is that Overstreet is a horrible guide and doesn't at all reflect the actual market (especially for Dell books- Golden Age or no). Key issues from major titles will still bring a premium on eBay (especially in high conditions from a trusted seller or professionally graded), but Overstreet is wildly high on pretty much everything else.

If you could tell me what some of the titles (including issue number and company) are I'll be happy to give you some advice.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

The "new" Cap will debut in a couple of months. They haven't announced yet if it's a all new character or a repackaged one yet (like Bucky)

The rumor buzz is that it'll be Bucky, but I don't see Bru going that route, just because it's the most obvious choice.

Personally, I don't think Steve Rogers is actually dead. I think Nick Fury is up to some shenanigans.
    I'm still grumpy that I can't use the phrase "Bucky Dead" anymore.

Even Captain Marvel isn't "Bucky Dead" anymore. He was just regular dead. Sigh.

Speaking of Captain Marvel, check out DC's "Death of the New Gods". Jim Starlin words and pictures!
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I'm still grumpy that I can't use the phrase "Bucky Dead" anymore.

Even Captain Marvel isn't "Bucky Dead" anymore. He was just regular dead. Sigh.

Speaking of Captain Marvel, check out DC's "Death of the New Gods". Jim Starlin words and pictures!
    I'm trade waiting DotNG. Love Starlin, but he better not kill off Scott Free.

I'm trade waiting DotNG. Love Starlin, but he better not kill off Scott Free.
    Trade-waiting is cheatin' I say!

And rumor has it that Starlin has already indicated that Free won't survive the saga. Take that for what it's worth, I guess.

But even if he dies, Mister Miracle is the least likely "Bucky Dead" candidate I can think of. Or is that most likely? I dunno'. Since "Bucky Dead" stopped being "Bucky Dead", I'm all confused.

--Ted Williams

Trade-waiting is cheatin' I say!

And rumor has it that Starlin has already indicated that Free won't survive the saga. Take that for what it's worth, I guess.

But even if he dies, Mister Miracle is the least likely "Bucky Dead" candidate I can think of. Or is that most likely? I dunno'. Since "Bucky Dead" stopped being "Bucky Dead", I'm all confused.
    It's never been Bucky Dead. Bucky Dead was a ret-con to the Avengers #4 anywho. I think Uncle Ben Dead is the winner.

It's never been Bucky Dead. Bucky Dead was a ret-con to the Avengers #4 anywho. I think Uncle Ben Dead is the winner.
    Ah. "Uncle Ben Dead" is my new replacement. Thanks so much.

Your reward:

http://mightygodking.com/index.php/2...e-but-so-what/

Click on each panel and a page of DotNG #1 will open. The writer has taken liberties with the verbiage on each page. Apparently, he (and throngs of others) is not a fan of Jim Starlin's writing.

A smattering of swear words, but pretty darned funny.

--Ted Williams

I used to be an eBay powerseller and have sold a ton of books there- Golden Age to Current. The first thing I'll tell you is that Overstreet is a horrible guide and doesn't at all reflect the actual market (especially for Dell books- Golden Age or no). Key issues from major titles will still bring a premium on eBay (especially in high conditions from a trusted seller or professionally graded), but Overstreet is wildly high on pretty much everything else.

If you could tell me what some of the titles (including issue number and company) are I'll be happy to give you some advice.
    I'll do that- Thanks!
    And a bunch of them are Dells, like this one- that's Mickey Dolenz.

Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I'm glad someone bumped this up. I've been playing some of the Marvel games on the 360 lately and it has really made me want to get into some of the stuff a little more. I used to collect comics when I was younger, but I stopped after a while.

I was looking at some of the graphic novels, but I'm not sure if I need to start at a certain spot or if each one plays out individually. I was looking at the Civil War series mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I'm glad someone bumped this up. I've been playing some of the Marvel games on the 360 lately and it has really made me want to get into some of the stuff a little more. I used to collect comics when I was younger, but I stopped after a while.

I was looking at some of the graphic novels, but I'm not sure if I need to start at a certain spot or if each one plays out individually. I was looking at the Civil War series mainly.
    Not sure I'd start with Civil War, it's pretty continuity heavy, I'd probably start off with Captain America's current series. It's all available in trades, and is primo good. It's pretty continuity heavy too, but you shouldn't have any problem catching up. If you can find the Mark Waid/Ringo Fantastic Four trades from a few years ago, I'd highly recommend them. Best FF stories since forever.

Bendis' New Avengers are all in trades, and are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I'll do that- Thanks!
    And a bunch of them are Dells, like this one- that's Mickey Dolenz.

No problem. Happy to help.

And I was hoping that a lot weren't Dells. The Dell books that best hold value versus Overstreet (not an all-inclusive list):

Lone Ranger (early issues and photo covers)
    Uncle Scrooge (particularly higher grade early issues and early Dell Four color appearances of any quality w/Barks art)
    Donald Duck (Barks art)
    Dell Four Color 1st appearances
    Dell Giants & Specials (Thick "activity" comics- most valuable if in higher grades with no markings)
    Tarzan (early issues and photo covers)
    I Love Lucy
    Zorro
    Western Roundup

Assorted other Western and TV-based titles do ok as well. Unfortunately, "ok" for a non-key Dell book is "more pennies on the dollar" rather than less. Even at brick-and-mortar comic shops, I routinely run into Dell books discounted to 75-80% off just sitting there. Online, I've found that Uncle Scrooge books drawn by Carl Barks to have the most drawing power. In fact, anything Carl Barks will sell so put a premium on those.

You may have already figured this out as you've researched, but it's important to note that Dell's "Four Color" series contains many of the first handful of issues for most of those books. Kind of a "test run" for marketing to determine which books should get their own title. For example, what we consider to be Uncle Scrooge #1 is actually Dell Four Color #386.

In the case of the book you posted (Dell Four Color #785), that would be considered Circus Boy #2 had the book survived to produce it's own line. BTW, if that's a scan of your copy, it looks fantastic. I'd have to see a bigger scan including more of the spine, but at first glance you appear to have at least a VF copy that might range into NM depending on cover gloss, surface, and the interior.

I'd definitely handle those with care and if they're in pristine condition, a trip to CGC for professional grading might not be out of the question for some of the best books you have. Not trying to get your hopes up as I haven't seen the collection, but even Dell books can bring premiums OVER guide price should you find a CGC 9.6 or 9.8 copy (which for most Dells is nearly impossible).

In any case, looking forward to seeing more of your books. Nice find.

--Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?