Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Borbon signed ball

Borbon signed ball

Hello all, could use a hand if anyone has any ideas. I started a collection a few years back of a ball signed by each member of the BRM. I have pretty much completed it all, but missing a Pedro signed ball. Anyone have any good places to check that may have one for sale?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Borbon signed ball

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Hello all, could use a hand if anyone has any ideas. I started a collection a few years back of a ball signed by each member of the BRM. I have pretty much completed it all, but missing a Pedro signed ball. Anyone have any good places to check that may have one for sale?
    First, you have to cut off the head of a chicken....
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I was waiting for something like that

www.sportsinvestments.com

This guy is on the radio and Tv shows here in Cincy all the time. He might not have a Borbon baseball, but could may be point you in the right direction.

P.S. I would rather have the Mets hat that Borbon shredded with his teeth after the brawl in the 1973 playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    First, you have to cut off the head of a New York Met....
    ftfy.

Ex-Tree

Here's your Bourbon balls! Oh, wait you said Borbon....let me get back to you on that.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

i found a link for you they have a Pedro Borbon ball for $125

http://zindlers.pinnaclecart.com/ind...d=131&parent=7

this was in the description i had no idea about!!
    "Borbon played from 1969 to 1980 for the Angels, Reds and Giants. Macho Borbon reportedly could warm up faster and throw a ball farther than anyone else in the NL during the mid-1970s when he was a top reliever for Cincinnati's "Big Red Machine." He liked to show off by throwing strikes to home plate from the center field warning track during batting practice. His best seasons were 1973 (11-4 with 14 saves) and 1977 (10-5 with 18 saves)."
    Last edited by redsfan4445; 02-27-2007 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    i found a link for you they have a Pedro Borbon ball for $125

http://zindlers.pinnaclecart.com/ind...d=131&parent=7

this was in the description i had no idea about!!
    "Borbon played from 1969 to 1980 for the Angels, Reds and Giants. Macho Borbon reportedly could warm up faster and throw a ball farther than anyone else in the NL during the mid-1970s when he was a top reliever for Cincinnati's "Big Red Machine." He liked to show off by throwing strikes to home plate from the center field warning track during batting practice. His best seasons were 1973 (11-4 with 14 saves) and 1977 (10-5 with 18 saves)."
    Can you say "rip off"?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Can you say "rip off"?
    It's probably a supply-and-demand thing. While there may not be much demand for Borbon's signature, there's probably even smaller supply. If one guy's got it and another guy wants it and can't find it anywhere else, then...

On the other hand, I may be dead wrong about the supply. He may have signed a bunch of balls when here for the BRM reunions. In that case, bounty may be better off looking around instead of paying $125. It sounds like he/she hasn't had much luck finding one up until now, though, while securing one of all the other players.

Find someone that is going to the Reds fantasy camp next spring and have them get a ball signed for you. Much cheaper.

I have a good Pedro Borbon autograph story. I went to one of the Big Red Machine shows in the mid 90's. I was having the team autograph a metal tray with the team picture on it. Alot of the players were really impressed with the tray, I remember Doug Flynn commenting how much he liked it and how he had never seen it before. When I got to Borbon to have him sign it Borbon looked at the tray and said something to me in very broken english. I couldnt understand him so I looked at the guy sitting next to him and he told me "Mr. Borbon really likes your metal tray and he would like to have it" . I looked at Pedro and he was staring right at me in a way that if anyone remembers Borbon and his legendary temper kinda made ya sweat
    Borbon during two different on field brawls pulled the hair along with skin out of the Pirates John Patterson and also in the 73' Rose Harrelson brawl grabbed a Mets hat and ripped it in pieces with his teeth. So knowing all this I smiled and thanked him for his autograph and got the hell out of there real fast!!!!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Argos View Post

Here's your Bourbon balls! Oh, wait you said Borbon....let me get back to you on that.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Just curious, is Borbon still a pitching coach for some minor league club in either Tennessee or one of the Carolinas. Last I heard, that is what he was doing, does anybody happen to know what he is up to now? Or where he is?

Hey Bounty, I was just doing some searching myself and according to the article/site below (dated in January although the Cedar Rapids Kernels website hasn't updated their coaches roster as of yet to my knowledge) Pedro Borbon is their new pitching coach, so I guess you could also attend one of their games and take the chance of him signing the ball there. I know that I have done this in the past to try and get my poster signed (I, too, am waiting for Borbon's signature as well). Minor league games, I have found are much easier. I have gotten both Jeff Reed and Jack Billingham at them before. Had a very lengthy and nice conversation with Billingham as well.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to put the link at the bottom....Here it is...

http://anaheim.angels.mlb.com/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=ana
    Last edited by crazybob60; 03-01-2007 at 12:23 AM.

Ex-Tree

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Schwetty!
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Turn Off Ads?