Turn Off Ads?

Thread: West Virginia AAA football championship to be decided in court

West Virginia AAA football championship to be decided in court

http://www.wvrecord.com/news/231661-...ootball-ruling

For those who haven't been following this, a fight broke out during South Charleston's quarterfinal matchup in the playoffs and four players were to be suspended for the following game. The school filed suit against the WVSSAC and an injunction was issued, and South Charleston kept their four players and defeated Brooke County to play in the championship game in Wheeling on Saturday.

Brooke County has now filed suit and a judge has ruled that the championship game cannot be played until a state hearing takes place.

Three possible scenarios could play out:

1. South Charleston is allowed to keep their players and the one game suspension takes effect on another extra curricular activity such as basketball or baseball, meaning they are off the hook.

2. The players are suspended in which they would miss the championship game against Martinsburg

3. South Charleston would have to forfeit their win against Brooke which would send Brooke to the state championship in Wheeling.

Either way, this is an absolute mess. Curious to hear what my fellow West Virginians have to say (among others )
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: West Virginia AAA football championship to be decided in court

I think the honorable thing would have been for the school to suspend the kids from the next game on its own. It seems they're trying to argue that the suspensions are invalid because of a technicality.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

As a HS official, according to NFHS rules, my jurisdiction ends at the end of the game. Once the Referee hold the ball over his head, my job is done. I'm not writing any reports or sticking my nose into anything. All I'm worried about is getting my fellow officials and myself off the field as quickly and safely as possible. The state association can do what they want, but I can't eject a kid after the game.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

South Charleston should be allowed to do whatever they want....

And the fact that this is where I lived until I was 6 and where my parents lived for 35 years has nothing to do with it

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I think the honorable thing would have been for the school to suspend the kids from the next game on its own. It seems they're trying to argue that the suspensions are invalid because of a technicality.
    Agreed. Having lived in the state for seven years and following high school sports in the area, it would be fair to compare Charleston with New York in terms of environment, at least on a state level. Just like the Jets/Giants or Yankees/Mets, Charleston teams have a decided home field advantage that includes refs.

Of course, the honorable thing to do would have been to suspend the players against Brooke, but taking it before a state judge who is going to be in need of votes come election time is even better.

This is, after all, where OJ Mayo was ejected after the infamous "ref flop"

YouTube - The OJ Mayo Incident Revisited--Streaming Live

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    As a HS official, according to NFHS rules, my jurisdiction ends at the end of the game. Once the Referee hold the ball over his head, my job is done. I'm not writing any reports or sticking my nose into anything. All I'm worried about is getting my fellow officials and myself off the field as quickly and safely as possible. The state association can do what they want, but I can't eject a kid after the game.
    I thought I had read that the final seconds was when the fight took place, but I went back and read that it was indeed after the game.

I did find something that pretty much sums it up:

In Hooterville there is Petticoat Junction
    In Knoxville there is Malfunction Junction
    In Schoolhouse Rock there is Conjunction Junction
    In West Virginia there is Injunction Junction.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I think the whole thing is a mess. Clearly the right thing to do is just cancel the whole thing and award the state title to Parkersburg.

This could all have been avoided if SC had done the right thing to begin with!

Looks like a decision has been reached:

http://www.wvrecord.com/news/231806-...-of-title-game

The state court ruled that judges had no business interfering with the WVSSAC so the injunction was null and void. As a result, South Charleston forfeits their win against Brooke and now Brooke will play Martinsburg on Saturday in Wheeling.

If South Charleston would have just done the honorable thing, they could have still won against Brooke and have been playing for the state championship. Instead, they have embarrassed themself in the eyes of the rest of the state and now have to forfeit their spot in the championship.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    If South Charleston would have just done the honorable thing, they could have still won against Brooke and have been playing for the state championship. Instead, they have embarrassed themself in the eyes of the rest of the state and now have to forfeit their spot in the championship.
    Amen. And what do they teach the youth of society (the ones they educate 5 days/week)? That it is okay to fight and hurt other people... b/c we got your back in the court system to allow you to play sports? Unbelievable and shameful. Good for the state court for doing the RIGHT THING. Someone oughta get that other judge off his bench before he makes another screwed-up ruling that ruins a person's life.

Has Brooke County been practicing since losing the semifinal?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Looks like a decision has been reached:

http://www.wvrecord.com/news/231806-...-of-title-game

The state court ruled that judges had no business interfering with the WVSSAC so the injunction was null and void. As a result, South Charleston forfeits their win against Brooke and now Brooke will play Martinsburg on Saturday in Wheeling.

Would South Charleston have won without the four players who were suspended? South Charleston defeated Brooke 29-28. Unless the four players were bench warmers I assume they contributed to the narrow victory.
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 12-08-2010 at 10:53 AM.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Has Brooke County been practicing since losing the semifinal?
    Watched WSAZ last night and they said that Brooke had been practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Would South Charleston have won without the four players who were susopended? South Charleston defeated Brooke 29-28. Unless the four players were bench warmers I assume they contributed to the narrow victory.
    True, but its something that we will never know.

Turn Off Ads?