Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions of those who have ditched pay tv

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Re: Opinions of those who have ditched pay tv

I downloaded Playon last night and watched some video on my PS3 and iPhone. Looks nice, but there were a few times the videos wouldn't play. Not sure what is causing that. I didn't have a lot of time to keep trying it, but an anxious to see how the rest of the two week trial goes.

Still doesn't solve my problem of watching live sports though.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I downloaded Playon last night and watched some video on my PS3 and iPhone. Looks nice, but there were a few times the videos wouldn't play. Not sure what is causing that. I didn't have a lot of time to keep trying it, but an anxious to see how the rest of the two week trial goes.

Still doesn't solve my problem of watching live sports though.
    I suggest reading this article at Yahoo! to point you in the right direction.....

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Anyone with DirecTV, they offered me 20$ off a month to stay, so if you're ballsy you might want to call and threaten to cancel and see if you can get a discount from them.
    I did this a couple weeks ago. If you're an existing customer, and not under contract, you can play hardball with them and get discounts. Just mention DishTV or any cable company and that will get then going. They knocked $20/month of my bill for a year, gave me all the movie channels free for 6 months (which I could care less about, but I'll take it if it's free), and are installing that whole house DVR system for $50 (regularly $200).

The contractor for Directv has been out 4 times though, trying to install this system, and can't seem to get it to work. They were scheduled to come back out last Wednesday, but we had that storm, so I gotta call them back.

But if I wasn't married with a family, I wouldn't have any of it. I just don't watch enough TV to justify the cost. But if I tried to take it out my family would riot.

I do like Netflix though.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

We have never watched much TV so we just have basic cable and use Netflix via our Wii. What I like about it is having greater control over what my kids view. We had expanded cable for two months (after upping the subscription to watch the Reds tank in the playoffs) and I swear it was an eye opener to see how banal television has become. My kids watched Nickelodeon, which is nothing more than continuous product placement, shallow, formulaic, manufactured pop music and...screaming.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

For those with Directv HD DVR the playon software does work with them as long as your tuners are networked. But I'm not shelling out the cash after the two week trial.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    For those with Directv HD DVR the playon software does work with them as long as your tuners are networked. But I'm not shelling out the cash after the two week trial.
    One of the items I got Directv to throw in the deal, when I played hardball with them, was this whole house DVR system. Now it only works with HD receivers, and I only have the one, besides the HD-DVR in the living room, in our bedroom.

They're coming out for the 4th time today to try and get the friggin thing to work. LOL

The HD receiver in our bedroom can't find the network where the HD-DVR is located. I known where the problem is, told them so, but they seem to know more then me and won't listen. The internal wiring in my house is in two separate "groupings". One end of the house is one group (which has the HD-DVR), and the other end of the house is another group (where our bedroom is located). Both run to a central control panel in our laundry room. Now why the people who built my house did it this way I have no idea, but that is the way it's set up. And when Directv came several years ago to do their initial install I told them that and they had no problem adapting to it.

I'm taking off work a half a day to be here when they arrive, and this time they are going to listen and get it right because I'm tired of messing with them.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    One of the items I got Directv to throw in the deal,
    If you don't already, try to get them to turn the East Coast and West Coast Networks for you, LA and NY, channels 390 to 399. Great for time shifting, and sometimes they show different Pro Sports games. Also, I like watching the local news from LA...Fires, car chases, celebrities, floods, earthquakes and such. Not everyone can get them, but a lot have, just by asking. There is an added fee for them.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    If you don't already, try to get them to turn the East Coast and West Coast Networks for you, LA and NY, channels 390 to 399. Great for time shifting, and sometimes they show different Pro Sports games. Also, I like watching the local news from LA...Fires, car chases, celebrities, floods, earthquakes and such. Not everyone can get them, but a lot have, just by asking. There is an added fee for them.
    That's a good idea, but I've already "worked my deal" for this fiscal year. LOL

I wish I could get my local channels out of Columbus, where I'm closer, then Dayton, but no matter how much I've tried they say they can't do that.

They did finally get the whole house DVR system to work yesterday. All it took was switching out the HD receiver in the bedroom with their newer slimline model. It took them 4 trips to my house, and several hours of "troubleshooting" before they finally figured it out.
    Last edited by GAC; 02-10-2011 at 04:24 AM.

An update for anyone interested.

We've been a little while now with it and so far love it. The over the air network channels are great and on the weekends and things we are a little more conscious of what we watch. I'm not saying we've started to choose to watch strictly informative/educational stuffs, but all told we have chosen what we wanted instead of just mindless noise in the background.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

For those of you who have a product with a youtube app built into it (blu ray player, tv, roku or other similar devices), how does it work? Can you only search for content or are you able to provide the youtube URL to view content? I ask because there are videos on youtube that you can watch if you have the URL, but will not show up in searches or on the channel of the author.

Canceling the cable on Monday and getting a Roku XD. Not sure what took me so long. Old habits die hard, I guess.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Canceling the cable on Monday and getting a Roku XD. Not sure what took me so long. Old habits die hard, I guess.
    I have one and love it.

I did find that it didn't work that great wireless for me, but that may be because of interference from my neighbors networks, houses are very close to each other on my street.

I have good speakers hooked up to it and find I use it to play pandora and tunein radio quite a lot too.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    For those of you who have a product with a youtube app built into it (blu ray player, tv, roku or other similar devices), how does it work? Can you only search for content or are you able to provide the youtube URL to view content? I ask because there are videos on youtube that you can watch if you have the URL, but will not show up in searches or on the channel of the author.
    Generally speaking, it sucks. It's not the same as going to youtube.com, that's for sure.

On another note, I'd love to give up cable if I could, but the sports thing for me is tough. I could do it and watch on my laptop, or stream it through to the TV, but I just don't love that idea.

I also have a problem giving up HD. I'm hooked and can hardly stand standard these days.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Keep me posted. I'm just doing the netflix and over the air thing right now about 99% of the time, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on Roku.

Pedro, thanks for those thoughts too. Good thought on the music aspect through it.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?