Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Paul Janish. Why doesn't he have enough bat for MLB SS?

Re: Paul Janish. Why doesn't he have enough bat for MLB SS?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Thank you!!! I kept waiting for somebody to put it into context.
    Rey Ordonez, the poster boy of recent all field/no hit shortstops, had a career .599 OPS and his worst three "full" seasons went .511, .572 and .599.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm wondering why Cozart isn't being considered for some starts at SS? You've got Janish putting up Juan Castro type numbers, his backup (Renteria) has one foot into retirement and yet I hear very little chatter about Cozart
    Cozart's numbers in the upper minors aren't screaming great success either. But it can't be much worse than what we are getting from this duo either.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Cozart's numbers in the upper minors aren't screaming great success either. But it can't be much worse than what we are getting from this duo either.
    Did Drew Stubbs' upper minors numbers scream success?

Did Drew Stubbs' upper minors numbers scream success?
    No, but I think the scouts saw more potential in his bat than Cozart. Stubbs is also somewhat of an outlier.

Yup. I'm not sure Cozart is any more than a .600 OPS shortstop right now and I don't think his defense is quite as good as Janish. So what would we really be gaining.

And just for the record - - Orlando Cabrera goes to Cleveland and lo and behold Cleveland has one of the best records in baseball for the first third of the season. This after being on teams who made playoffs in, what, 5 straight years?

Maybe, just maybe, he provided something more than just an OPS number and "less than stellar" defense, eh? Kinda like the people who want to DFA Gomes, a very popular clubhouse guy and one of the current pulses of Reds. Maybe the Reds keeping him has something to do with a happy clubhouse, a clubhouse where the guys feel they are never out of things?

But that can't be true, can it?
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I think people fail to comprehend how bad a .510 OPS is.

I think I can't even comprehend it.
    Here's a fun game to think about. I'll give you (and anybody else) a chance to make a few guesses before providing the answer, in which case we'll all barf all over ourselves.

Anyway, here it is. Below are three 2011 Reds OPS numbers from a time period of at least the previous 30 days. All three OPS numbers have PA sample sizes of at least 87 PAs. Who owns these OPS numbers?

The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Yup. I'm not sure Cozart is any more than a .600 OPS shortstop right now and I don't think his defense is quite as good as Janish. So what would we really be gaining.

And just for the record - - Orlando Cabrera goes to Cleveland and lo and behold Cleveland has one of the best records in baseball for the first third of the season. This after being on teams who made playoffs in, what, 5 straight years?

Maybe, just maybe, he provided something more than just an OPS number and "less than stellar" defense, eh? Kinda like the people who want to DFA Gomes, a very popular clubhouse guy and one of the current pulses of Reds. Maybe the Reds keeping him has something to do with a happy clubhouse, a clubhouse where the guys feel they are never out of things?

But that can't be true, can it?
    The other thing that some say in debates like these is "how much worse can
    _______ be?" Last year OCab would be in the low to middle .600s and we would hear "Janish can do that and play GG defense". This is why you see teams go get vets with track records, their floors tend to be somewhat higher than the unproven. Obviously Renteria is not working to that effect so far, but Cabrera did last year.

We know that a mid .600s OPS isn't great, but how bad is pushing an OPS that starts with a 4? Hopefully he has hit rock bottom and starts hitting soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Here's a fun game to think about. I'll give you (and anybody else) a chance to make a few guesses before providing the answer, in which case we'll all barf all over ourselves.

Anyway, here it is. Below are three 2011 Reds OPS numbers from a time period of at least the previous 30 days. All three OPS numbers have PA sample sizes of at least 87 PAs. Who owns these OPS numbers?

Gomes, Janish, Renteria?

No, but I think the scouts saw more potential in his bat than Cozart. Stubbs is also somewhat of an outlier.
    Stubbs is the poster child for the anti-SABR crowd. The SABR folks projected him as a 4th outfielder and now I'm hearing superstar being thrown around. Me, personally, I saw that swing and knew he'd at least hit for power and I never bothered to study his minor league stats. I could tell from that swing that he was no punch and judy hitter. If he struck out like crazy he may turn into Rolando Roomes but lucky for us, that wasn't the case

Gomes, Janish, Renteria?
    The first two are sort of correct. Flip-flop the order (it's Janish, then Gomes), and you've got it. Those are their OPS numbers since April 20th.

The third is actually not one player, but a collection of players. I now see that the wording of the question may have been confusing so my apologies. Anyhow, think of a group of guys and not just one guy.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 05-25-2011 at 01:22 PM.

The first two are sort of correct. Flip-flop the order (it's Janish, then Gomes), and you've got it.

The third is actually not one player, but a collection of players. I now see that the wording of the question may have been confusing so my apologies. Anyhow, think of a group of guys and not just one guy.
    3B?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Gomes, Janish and Rolen?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Not 3B as a group or Rolen.

Not Renteria either, though I guess we can technically add him as option 4. Since that same April 20th date, Renteria's OPS is .476 in 70 PAs. I knew he's been bad, but I didn't even realize how bad until I just looked at it.

Stubbs is the poster child for the anti-SABR crowd. The SABR folks projected him as a 4th outfielder and now I'm hearing superstar being thrown around. Me, personally, I saw that swing and knew he'd at least hit for power and I never bothered to study his minor league stats. I could tell from that swing that he was no punch and judy hitter. If he struck out like crazy he may turn into Rolando Roomes but lucky for us, that wasn't the case
    I seem to remember making stat-based arguments for Stubbs based upon his defensive potential...i.e. he could OPS around 700 and still be valuable...

I don't think its accurate to say SABR guys hated Stubbs.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I don't think its accurate to say SABR guys hated Stubbs.
    That wouldn't be my choice of words either

Turn Off Ads?