Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott Rolen

Re: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott R

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If the Reds and Jays are close on the player package and the Reds don't pull the trigger on this deal it's time to give up wasting time on this team.

If they can't afford a major contract that ends in a year and a half, then they are hopeless. And if they think keeping EE over Rolen makes sense, they are also hopeless.
    I wish Redszone had a "like" button like Facebook, so that I could like this post.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott R

As much as I'm not sure about trying to listen to George Grande drool over Scott Rolen for the rest of this season and next like he did in Toronto, Rolen would provide a good veteran presence and work ethic for the younger players on our team. Looking up and down our roster of position players, I don't really see that veteran that many players can look up to like a Barry Larkin, a Sean Casey, or a Ken Griffey Jr.

Rolen has seen playoff baseball and knows what it takes to get there. I really think that he could be a great presence in the clubhouse for guys like Bruce, Votto, and Phillips.

Not to mention that he is a phenomenal athlete...the guy still holds my high school basketball gym's single-game points record with 50
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Take it for what you think it's worth but Jim Kelch has reported that Jocketty has been with the Bats for the past couple of days. That in itself doesn't mean anything but if you consider it in light of this rumor, it might make sense that he is deciding which AAA pitcher is going to be dealt.

Or not.
    To add fuel to the fire, Kip Wells was signed and placed on the Louisville reserve roster, which indicates that a Louisville pitcher is either getting called up or traded.

So, with this in mind, what would be an acceptable deal for Rolen?

EdE, Viola, and Dorn?

I'd have a hard time with that one, I think.

EdE, Sutton, and Stewart?

Same thing.

Anything else Redszone can come up with that's both feasible and acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    So, with this in mind, what would be an acceptable deal for Rolen?

EdE, Viola, and Dorn?

I'd have a hard time with that one, I think.

EdE, Sutton, and Stewart?

Same thing.

Anything else Redszone can come up with that's both feasible and acceptable?
    No way Stewart is included in this deal. I am not sure the Reds would trade him straight up for Rolan.

If the Reds have to take on all of Rolan's salary, it most likely will be:

EdE, and one of the Bat's starting pitchers; either LeCure, Ramirez, or Maloney.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

But, according to doug, there's also a position player leaving Louisville. I'm just hoping it's not Dorn or Heisey.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    To add fuel to the fire, Kip Wells was signed and placed on the Louisville reserve roster, which indicates that a Louisville pitcher is either getting called up or traded.
    Rotation fodder? Bailey has been called up to the bigs. Thompson's season is over, correct? I think the uncertain status of Arroyo and Volquez rehab time line made the Reds get another arm in AAA.

This deal makes very little sense for Toronto *unless* they are under strict orders to shed payroll, with little consideration for return.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I agree with the points made by the Rolen advocates. If he does nothing but add plus defense and a .265 average, he would improve this club. The experience intangibles are valuable as well. The Reds are a team that has grown accustomed to losing. I really like putting Rolen into a pennant race against his old team.

Rolen was out of the Jays lineup today, so I think a deal must be near. My guess would be EE + Maloney + A level prospect and the Reds eat the salary differential. The only downside is money and that it is not a huge risk. Keep Rolen this year and next. By then one of Frasier, Francisco, or Soto could emerge as the longer term fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    But, according to doug, there's also a position player leaving Louisville. I'm just hoping it's not Dorn or Heisey.
    Sorry, missed that. Thanks for the update.

I still stand by my projection of which pitcher it could be, but have no idea on the position player. It all depends on how much salary is taken on.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

At least we know that nothing is finalized yet...

EE in the lineup tonight according to Fay
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but I would LOVE to see this. I will say with Kip Wells being added to the Bats roster, Jocketty in Louisville and Rolen being held out of the lineup today that something just might be up. I'll just sit back and be cautiously optimistic.

Call me crazy (and a lot of you will) but I'm not enamored with Scott Rolen. 5 years ago, this would have been great. Now, not so much IMO.

Rolen hasn't OPSed over .800 for a full season since 2006.
    EE has OPSed over .800 every season for the last 4 years.

I know Rolen plays much better D, but he's also 34- an age where the D can go downhill real quickly, not to mention his health concerns (he's played more than 115 games 1 time in the last 5 years.)

EE is far from perfect- especially on defense, but he is 8 years younger and makes almost $10MM/year less than Rolen. Maybe I'd consider a straight-up swap, but I wouldn't be excited giving up much more than that.

Not to mention what in the heck does this mean for the team's direction? I assume it means they're going for it all next season, which would entail keeping Harang and any other vets. What other moves would potentially accompany this- would the Reds actually be "buyers"?

If not, it seems like more of the same paradoxical confusion of "contending while rebuilding" or whatever the hell you want to call the past decade.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-09-2009 at 05:12 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Not to mention what in the heck does this mean for the team's direction? I assume it means they're going for it all next season, which would entail keeping Harang and any other vets. What other moves would potentially accompany this- would the Reds be "buyers"?
    Imagine that ... going for it all. Crazy talk.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Imagine that ... going for it all. Crazy talk.
    Unless of course this deal is made in isolation, which would be more in line with other Reds moves of the decade (see the Cordero signing).
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?