Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Zach Stewart's progress

Re: Zach Stewart's progress

can't... not... take... bait...

sigh. Not trading for Rolen would have the Reds in an even BETTER position to sign Chapman. It would give the Reds bullpen a shot in the arm as Roenicke or even Stewart could come in to help. It would free 3B for Frazier or Francisco, or even Valaika, who is tear it up at AAA.

Rolen has hit. yes. and he's already missed games due to his CHRONIC back problems. Extending a guy with CHRONIC back problems at age 35 doesn't seem smart to me. As for the slow starts by Frazier and JF, big deal. They've always hit, and they will this year.

Rolen isn't hurting the Red offense or defense when he plays, but if he plays 120 games, I'll be stunned.

BTW, Vlad Guerrero can barely stand much less play LF. I swear I think I could out run him now.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

sigh. Not trading for Rolen would have the Reds in an even BETTER position to sign Chapman. It would give the Reds bullpen a shot in the arm as Roenicke or even Stewart could come in to help. It would free 3B for Frazier or Francisco, or even Valaika, who is tear it up at AAA.

Rolen has hit. yes. and he's already missed games due to his CHRONIC back problems. Extending a guy with CHRONIC back problems at age 35 doesn't seem smart to me. As for the slow starts by Frazier and JF, big deal. They've always hit, and they will this year.

Rolen isn't hurting the Red offense or defense when he plays, but if he plays 120 games, I'll be stunned.

BTW, Vlad Guerrero can barely stand much less play LF. I swear I think I could out run him now.
    Josh Roenicke could sure help this pen! Yes sir, the whole 20 innings he has thrown in Toronto since being traded ten months ago, man would we be doing well if we had him! Never mind the fact that he has an ERA over 6 in those 20 innings, we need someone to throw...innings (and he can do that in spades, given all 3 of 'em he's thrown this season! But just look at his career, he has 36 whole innings under his belt, and he's only turning...28!)

And Zach Stewart? The same guy with an ERA over 5 in AA? That guy could be helping the Reds right now?

Are you living on the same planet?
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-03-2010 at 05:37 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Josh Roenicke could sure help this pen! Yes sir, the whole 20 innings he has thrown in Toronto since being traded ten months ago, man would we be doing well if we had him! Never mind the fact that he has an ERA over 6 in those 20 innings, we need someone to throw...innings!

And Zach Stewart? The same guy with an ERA over 5 in AA? That guy could be helping the Reds right now?

Are you living on the same planet?
    Yeah, because Stewarts small sample of what 20 inning this year means he's washed up. And Roenicke is already in Toronto's pen and pitching well, for his 3 innings so far. And you don't need relievers to throw innings, you need them to bail out starters that don't (less than 6 innings) and to finish games for those that do (more than 6 innings)

BTW, Nick Masset has an 11.45 ERA this year. in 11 innings. guess he's now terrible too.

Yeah, because Stewarts small sample of what 20 inning this year means he's washed up. And Roenicke is already in Toronto's pen and pitching well, for his 3 innings so far. And you don't need relievers to throw innings, you need them to bail out starters that don't (less than 6 innings) and to finish games for those that do (more than 6 innings)

BTW, Nick Masset has an 11.45 ERA this year. in 11 innings. guess he's now terrible too.
    Finish them out with a 6 ERA? No thanks.

I'm not dismissing these guys as washed up, but to think that they could be helping the Reds more than Rolen is simply delusional.

For the record, Stewart is a year older, a level behind, pitches with the wrong hand, and doing significantly worse in almost every facet of the game than Travis Wood, who is currently 8th or 9th on our organizational starting pitching depth chart, so it's time we put this one to bed.
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-03-2010 at 05:43 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am curious as to whats up with the HR rate. Stewart gave up 2 HR's with the Reds in 112.1 innings. This season he has allowed 4 in 20.1 innings.
    I'd give this one more time to see if it's just randomness. They might have him working on something too.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Finish them out with a 6 ERA? No thanks.

I'm not dismissing these guys as washed up, but to think that they could be helping the Reds more than Rolen is simply delusional.
    I'm not sure I can explain this. Rolen is a very good hitter made of glass. He can't stay in a lineup. Last year was the first time he surpassed 110 games played since 2006, and he's already missed a few less that 2 weeks into the season. You don't extend guys like that, but Walt has a soft spot for Rolen.

And if Roenicke, who some view as a future closer, pitches 50+ innings for Toronto this year with a sub 3 ERA and 45+ K's, I think that'll have some value. I think he's up to stay right now.

I think Stewart is a starter until he proves he isn't, and 4 starts doesn't prove it. He's also been mentioned as having closer stuff. That Toronto pitching rotation is looking pretty good, and Roenicke makes the pen better (their pen was getting shelled)

Sorry, couldn't walk away since I missed this nugget. Are you really serious?

Edwin Encarnacion would be playing 3B right now if this trade wasn't made. And he'd be taking up $4+MM of payroll. And Chris Valaika will NEVER EVER EVER hit enough to be a starting 3B in the major leagues. Juan Francisco's defense would make people long for EE, and Todd Frazier is almost batting under .100 in AAA, so I don't think that he would be an upgrade at 3B on a competitive team at the moment.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'm not sure I can explain this. Rolen is a very good hitter made of glass. He can't stay in a lineup. Last year was the first time he surpassed 110 games played since 2006, and he's already missed a few less that 2 weeks into the season. You don't extend guys like that, but Walt has a soft spot for Rolen.

And if Roenicke, who some view as a future closer, pitches 50+ innings for Toronto this year with a sub 3 ERA and 45+ K's, I think that'll have some value. I think he's up to stay right now.

I think Stewart is a starter until he proves he isn't, and 4 starts doesn't prove it. He's also been mentioned as having closer stuff. That Toronto pitching rotation is looking pretty good, and Roenicke makes the pen better (their pen was getting shelled)
    Well he has never started a game above AA, and right now he is having a very hard time doing it at that level.

If Roenicke pitches 50+ innings, he will more than double his career output. Asking him to do so at a comparable level to what he did in the minors at age 27 is no small expectation.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sorry, couldn't walk away since I missed this nugget. Are you really serious?

Edwin Encarnacion would be playing 3B right now if this trade wasn't made. And he'd be taking up $4+MM of payroll. And Chris Valaika will NEVER EVER EVER hit enough to be a starting 3B in the major leagues. Juan Francisco's defense would make people long for EE, and Todd Frazier is almost batting under .100 in AAA, so I don't think that he would be an upgrade at 3B on a competitive team at the moment.
    EE is on the DL. Sutton would probably be at 3B. and an 850+ OPS bat plays anywhere (Valaika). And just because Frazier is struggling at the moment doesn't mean he would have at the MLB level. Stubbs certainly was better last year as a Red than he was at AAA. It's amazing how being at the big league level can focus a guy.

Also, if EE wasn't injured there were rumblings of him in LF. it may have been idle chatter, but I would prefer him to Gomes in LF.

High five!

I love re-runs.

You're not going to see Stewart struggle this badly for long, he's too good, unless he's hurt.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Not to veer too far off subject, but I don't think Roenicke is anything special.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Not to veer too far off subject, but I don't think Roenicke is anything special.
    Exactly. He's no different than Ondrusek or Fisher, et al
    Go BLUE!!!

He traded two prospect pitchers, one of whom is pitching for the Blue Jays, for a 35 year old 3B that he extended. He signed a 35 yo SS too.

So do you want him to trade for Magglio Ordonez? Sign Jermaine Dye? both, and extend them 3 years? Just asking, cuz I sure don't.
    And for the record, yes, I wouldn't mind seeing Jermaine Dye signed to play LF for the rest of this season.
    Go BLUE!!!

And for the record, yes, I wouldn't mind seeing Jermaine Dye signed to play LF for the rest of this season.
    there is a reason EVERY team passed on him.

Turn Off Ads?