Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's A Target: Jered Weaver

Here's A Target: Jered Weaver

There's been a lot of talk about the dearth of frontline starters available on the trade market this year. We finally may have found one:

http://www.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbu...ellers/5027086
    http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2011/6/1...eaver-be-moved

If he becomes available, the Reds should pull out all the stops. While Reyes or Kemp/Ethier would be nice, Weaver could certainly put this team squarely in pennant contention. He only makes $7.4MM this year and is eligible for arbitration in the offseason, as he will be a FA after 2012. He is affordable, fits within our window, and possibly could be available. Walt has acquired a young, arbitration-eligible cocky budding star from Anaheim before. Make it twice Walt, please.

What would you part with for Weaver?
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-13-2011 at 07:13 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Here's A Target: Jered Weaver

Love to have him. Would require most of the Louisville roster to get him.....not sure why the Angels would let him go.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Yeah I agree, the Angels are not a team who are ever really 'out of it' in that AL West. They will have down years from time to time, but most years are right in it.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I would think Alonso, Grandal, and Leake or Wood would certainly get the conversation going quickly. Throw in a Frazier or Francisco and the fact that they wouldn't be strengthening their future competitors in the Yanks or Sox and you might have something.

I'm not sure if any of the other NL contenders are/would be looking for significant pitching help: Giants, Cardinals, Brewers, and Phillies are all pretty much set at the top of their rotations, and/or don't have enough in the cupboard to get a deal done (at least let's hope).
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-13-2011 at 07:18 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

The Angels only seem to add players.

He'd be the type of player to empty the farm for, certainly. Would an Alonso, Mesoraco, Chapman deal be enough to get him?

I think it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    He'd be the type of player to empty the farm for, certainly. Would an Alonso, Mesoraco, Chapman deal be enough to get him?

I think it would.
    For me the following guys are ones I'd like to keep:
    1) Mes
    2) Cozart unless we get a SS back
    3) Frazier although it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I think he is our best bet for playing 3B after Rolen retires

Pretty much everyone else is fair game. A trade for Weaver would start with Alonso. Chapman is not untouchable. In fact with his struggles & the money owed him he is quite risky for the Reds (or any team that acquires him).

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I wouldn't trade Mesoraco in any deal, but anyone else on the farm is tradable IMO. You just can't trade a catcher like Mesoraco.

Didn't the Expos trade away Randy Johnson early in his career?

I think they got Mark Langston for him. I can draw parallels between that deal and a theoretical deal involving Chapman and Weaver.

Does it give me pause? Yeah.

Would I include him in a deal to get Weaver? Yeah.

I'd offer Chapman, Alonso, and Grandal but I wouldn't be happy to see any of them go.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Didn't the Expos trade away Randy Johnson early in his career?

I think they got Mark Langston for him. I can draw parallels between that deal and a theoretical deal involving Chapman and Weaver.

Does it give me pause? Yeah.

Would I include him in a deal to get Weaver? Yeah.

I'd offer Chapman, Alonso, and Grandal but I wouldn't be happy to see any of them go.
    That is exactly the kind of deal that makes the Reds contenders in 2011 & 2012. Add a lesser deal to get a real left fielder. Replace Janish/Renteria with Cozart. Get Homer back. The Reds could win the NL Central & be much better equipped to handle the playoffs than the 2010 team was.

Concerning trade value, the Reds would be getting him for only a year and a half and his 2012 season will likely cost $10+M.......

Im not sure why the Angels would trade him but he wouldn't be painless to acquire.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

So the Angels trade FOR Dan Haren, but are going to trade AWAY Jared Weaver? Wow.

They're only 5 games back of Texas, but they are on a 12 game road trip. They'll only trade him if they really fall out of contention on this road trip.

I'd be willing to give up anyone in the farm except Mesoraco. Hamilton seems to fit the Angels style of play, so I think he may be a good starting point. He and Grandal would probably get the ball rolling in talks, though I'm sure it would eventually take more than just those two. Of course, the Angels have Segura and Conger in their system, so maybe they wouldn't even be interested in Hamilton or Grandal.

Their division is pretty bad, we'll fall out of it before they will.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?