Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

This strikes me as:

- All TJ surgeries are preceded by pitchers complaining about elbow soreness.
    - Madson is complaining about elbow soreness
    - Therefore, Madson is headed for TJ

Which is, of course, a logical fallacy. Because the correct question is not "what did guys who get TJ report early on" it's "what happens to guy who report elbow soreness". And I'm guessing that the majority of those who report elbow soreness to do end up getting TJ.

Obviously that's not to say Madson won't need TJ. Just that the jump from soreness to TJ is a stretch absent other information we're not being given.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Hasn't Madson all ready had TJ or am I thinking about a different pitcher?

Hoping Ryan is all right and we hear some good news about him today.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I don't think Madson has had TJ. I really don't like the sound of the quotes coming from Dusty, Walt, and Madson...seems like there's something bad.
    "You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." -Earl Weaver

No, Madson hasn't had TJ before, but he has had elbow soreness in the past during spring training.

I am hoping he doesn't need it and I am hoping this is just a case of him shaking off the 'cobwebs' of not throwing his full arsenal during the winter months.

But again, as stated above, the words from Walt, Dusty, and Ryan aren't encouraging to me.

The only bright spot here, if the worst does happen, is that we have a stellar back up plan that we traded for in Marshall. Something I can't always say in previous years if something like this occurred.

I felt like the Reds signed Marshall to be their closer in 2013. We may get a chance to see him do it this season. Doesn't sound very good at all for Madson.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

-The Insider-

I was just speculating. I would have said that I heard that was was going to happen if it was true. And I can't believe I still have doubters on here...

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I was just speculating. I would have said that I heard that was was going to happen if it was true. And I can't believe I still have doubters on here...
    Thanks, I read that and thought, "oh no", because of your credibility. It may still be "oh no", but it at least makes me a feel a little better.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

-The Insider-

Any time I see elbow soreness, I automatically assume Tommy John is on the horizon.

Any time I see elbow soreness, I automatically assume Tommy John is on the horizon.
    Look, one way or the other it's not the tragedy of all time.

Madson would be great, but the Reds have some depth. They will figure out a way to use Chapman and/or Francis to bolster the staff. They have a number of AAAA type lefties who can fill a roster hole.

They could even make a trade, say Bailey, for a closer (plus) if Madson is out for a real long time.

I'm still hopeful, though, that Madson will miss a few weeks and then be back. It's ok to assume the worst, but there's really no indication (yet) that Madson has a very serious injury.

I am biting my nails, though. . . .

I don't really think you have doubters. I don't doubt you when you report facts. I just called this out as a guess, and you've confirmed I was right, so I hope you don't think I was doubting you.

-The Insider-

Word.

The first unwritten rule to be taken seriously as someone with info is to separate when you're giving info and when you're giving an opinion. That will boost the credibility tenfold.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

If the Madson does have TJ, do the Reds have some kind of insurance against his contract or will he be a Red next year automatically? It really sucks to sign a big-time free agent to a 1yr deal and just to have him jump ship while still taking the Reds' money.

-Matt

...because there have never been any rumors spread by insiders on an internet message board. Plus, I agree with Brutus that you need to clarify when you are expressing a guess vs. sending up a smoke signal
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I read on another message board something that makes a tad bit of sense to me, and would totally dispell any TJ rumors.

It essentially went like this.

Madson has been a Phillie his whole career.
    Madson has had elbow soreness in camp in previous season.
    The Phillies have seen this kind of soreness in Madson before and their staff knew exactly what to do to for it.
    With Madson being with the Reds now, even though the Reds staff should be familiar with this kind of stuff and Madson should be familiar with it enough too, who knows, they just may be cautioning on the side of error.
    If he was still in Philly, it just may be status quo, moving forward.

Also, in Philly, he was always the bullpen and setup guy. Never had the role of full time closer going into camp.

So something like this while he was in Philly, wasn't AS magnified as it is right now.

I hope that made sense of what I was trying to say.
    Last edited by crazybob60; 03-23-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Turn Off Ads?