Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals to Draft Ninth

Re: Bengals to Draft Ninth

I wish the Bengals could find a way to draft Keenan Burton in the later rounds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I wonder if Wesley Woodyard would still be available in the 3rd/4th rounds? He is a tackling MACHINE.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Ah Chris Perry, the gift that keeps on giving (nothing).
    I stood in disbelief when they announced that pick. It was a horrendous pick at the time and has proven to be even worse than it looked.

What baffled me is that Steven Jackson was still sitting there and the Bengals chose Chris Perry. Even at the time, I was screaming for Jackson. How good would the Bengals have been the last few years with Jackson at tailback? I'd have to question anyone who thought Perry was a better pick than Jackson.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Seems to me, as much as we need help on the d-line, we needs LBers even more.
    Given Thurman's cloudy future, I agree that we need to reassess the LB situation, but Dan Connor is the only LB I like that's draft-bound (as of right now) and I don't see him being around @ 9.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I stood in disbelief when they announced that pick. It was a horrendous pick at the time and has proven to be even worse than it looked.

What baffled me is that Steven Jackson was still sitting there and the Bengals chose Chris Perry. Even at the time, I was screaming for Jackson. How good would the Bengals have been the last few years with Jackson at tailback? I'd have to question anyone who thought Perry was a better pick than Jackson.
    It seemed that the logic at the time was that Perry would be a receiving HB, or converted to WR.

Regardless, neither have happened, and it was a lousy pick.

It seemed that the logic at the time was that Perry would be a receiving HB, or converted to WR.
    I'm not sure about that. Why would anyone spend a first rounder on a receiving HB?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I'm not sure about that. Why would anyone spend a first rounder on a receiving HB?
    I didn't say it was good logic.

Just jot Perry down in the same category of Bengals' draft picks as Akili Smith.

A healthy Perry looks a lot different than an injured one in the grand scheme of things. He was a huge contributor in the playoff year and would have likely fallen into the yards that Kenny Watson got this year due to Rudy's hammy. It is real easy to say they could have had so and so, but he provided value when he got on the field. Sometimes you have to look beyond "first round pick."

I didn't say it was good logic.

Just jot Perry down in the same category of Bengals' draft picks as Akili Smith.
    No comparison, Akili was a top 5 pick, Perry second half of the first round. Akili could not perform due to lack of ability, Perry has been injured. There are a lot of different philosophies available to decide on a pick in the latter half of the first round than with a top 5 pick.

I also agree that comparing Perry to Akili is a major stretch, but it doesn't require years of hindsight to realize that the 2004 (and 2007) Bengals weren't nearly good enough defensively to have the luxury of using a first round pick on a third down back. I'm sure they weren't fully convinced that, even after his fine 2003 season, Rudi was the real deal, but that's a call that should have been able to make after a year of evaluation and shouldn't require using a first round pick as running back insurance. Of course, if they absolutely had to take a RB, Stephen Jackson was the number one back on every board that year (except ours, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    A healthy Perry looks a lot different than an injured one in the grand scheme of things. He was a huge contributor in the playoff year and would have likely fallen into the yards that Kenny Watson got this year due to Rudy's hammy. It is real easy to say they could have had so and so, but he provided value when he got on the field. Sometimes you have to look beyond "first round pick."
    I agree that a healthy Perry is a completely different animal, but he's injury prone, so are we ever really seeing a healthy Perry? Unfortunately, Perry is not as good of a runner in the backfield as Irons or Watson, so I'm not sold on the idea that had he been healthy he would have gotten Watson's yards.

The thing that confused me at the time was why we selected a HB in the 1st Round when we had no immediate need for said position. If we needed a HB, then Perry certainly could have been an option, although he wasn't even the best HB left on the board at the time, so it just reaffirms the lack of direction that is the Bengals' drafting strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I also agree that comparing Perry to Akili is a major stretch, but it doesn't require years of hindsight to realize that the 2004 (and 2007) Bengals weren't nearly good enough defensively to have the luxury of using a first round pick on a third down back. I'm sure they weren't fully convinced that, even after his fine 2003 season, Rudi was the real deal, but that's a call that should have been able to make after a year of evaluation and shouldn't require using a first round pick as running back insurance. Of course, if they absolutely had to take a RB, Stephen Jackson was the number one back on every board that year (except ours, of course).
    I think he was drafted as the heir apparent to Rudi, but his injury history prevented them from not shelling out the dough to Rudi. I'm starting to wonder if Rudi doesn't have hit men--Perry, then Irons, a pattern is developing.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I think he was drafted as the heir apparent to Rudi, but his injury history prevented them from not shelling out the dough to Rudi. I'm starting to wonder if Rudi doesn't have hit men--Perry, then Irons, a pattern is developing.
    I don't know that I buy that - when we drafted Perry, Rudi had just completed his first season seeing significant NFL action. 2004 was the first year that he went into a season as the full-time starter.

What about this Maualuga kid playing LB for USC???

Wouldn't mind him playing for the Bengals.

Looks amazing out there.

What's a good website for mock drafts?

Turn Off Ads?