3 4.05%
  • Alex Wimmers

16 21.62%
  • Other

2 2.70%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who is your pick?

Re: Who is your pick?

I think Buckley has a lot of power. If I had to guess I say the only thing Walt tells him is the budget. Walt probably doesnt know a lot about these guys before the draft.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I never said right now. Ever.
    When you said the Reds have a window right now and need someone who can contribute, I assumed you meant someone who would contribute within the window that exists right now. Sorry I misunderstood what you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    When you said the Reds have a window right now and need someone who can contribute, I assumed you meant someone who would contribute within the window that exists right now. Sorry I misunderstood what you meant.
    When I said window, I was speaking of the window that exists with these guys currently in place.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    That's certainly not the way I read it. Jocketty (and Castellini) have input and are informed at virtually every step of the way. They have first dibs on specific people that are "out"; that is, you're not gonna pick X, Y, or Z even if they're the best choice, Mr. Reynolds.

Is Jocketty telling Reynolds whom to pick? No, probably not per se.

But he's certainly in charge and will okay the pick before it gets picked.

That's what edabbs has said, and that's what that article backs up.
    Reynolds isn't the scouting director. Chris Buckley is.

As for the article, all I can gather from it is that they approved everyone from a financial standpoint. Of course we all know that is bogus, but they aren't going to publicly admit that and be called cheap. I am sure Buckley runs his information by Jocketty. Buckley is still making the decisions though.

Brain fart on my part.

But the reasoning is correct.

Jocketty (and Castellini) tell Buckley who's off limits. (Ergo, even if Buckley wanted to pick those guys, he couldn't.) That means the first decision is Jocketty's, not Buckley's.

Once Buckley picks, Jocketty has final say-so (as the article infers).

I don't see how you'd get anything else out of it.

Brain fart on my part.

But the reasoning is correct.

Jocketty (and Castellini) tell Buckley who's off limits. (Ergo, even if Buckley wanted to pick those guys, he couldn't.) That means the first decision is Jocketty's, not Buckley's.

Once Buckley picks, Jocketty has final say-so (as the article infers).

I don't see how you'd get anything else out of it.
    The 'off limits' part screams 'we can't afford him', not 'don't think about drafting him because I think he sucks'. Which goes back to money, which is what I have been saying Jocketty has been a part of all along.

Sure Jocketty has control of the purse strings. He also has control of the draft picks for, according to the article, major attitude questions, work ethic questions, and his own evaluation.

In other words, Buckley may think Player A is the best pick, but Jocketty doesn't like reports of his inability to get along with teammates. So Player A is axed.

Buckley then thinks Player B is next best. But Jocketty might think reports of a questionable work ethic mean he'll be a career journeyman.

In other words, Jocketty is in charge and Buckley must run his pick through Jocketty.

Sure Jocketty has control of the purse strings. He also has control of the draft picks for, according to the article, major attitude questions, work ethic questions, and his own evaluation.

In other words, Buckley may think Player A is the best pick, but Jocketty doesn't like reports of his inability to get along with teammates. So Player A is axed.

Buckley then thinks Player B is next best. But Jocketty might think reports of a questionable work ethic mean he'll be a career journeyman.

In other words, Jocketty is in charge and Buckley must run his pick through Jocketty.
    Nowhere in that article did I see anything suggesting anything close to Jocketty having that kind of power (in the sense that he doesn't use it, clearly he could have it if he wanted to... he is the GM, but nowhere does it come close to saying he actually does any of that stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Nowhere in that article did I see anything suggesting anything close to Jocketty having that kind of power (in the sense that he doesn't use it, clearly he could have it if he wanted to... he is the GM, but nowhere does it come close to saying he actually does any of that stuff).
    Why would Walt be looking at a lot of film and speaking with a lot of scouts if he didn't weigh in on the selection?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Why would Walt be looking at a lot of film and speaking with a lot of scouts if he didn't weigh in on the selection?
    To make sure his people are doing their jobs. Lets remember, the draft that was written about, 2008, was the first one under Jocketty. He was probably doing a little more hands on given he didn't have a great feel for his staff at that point still.

http://http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/...-in-mlb-draft/

Clip from Fanhouse on GM and scout involvement in a draft.
    Last edited by edabbs44; 06-07-2010 at 04:21 PM.

I remember wanting Kyle Gibson. Obviously, I was wrong with Leake being nothing short of sensational.

Kyle Gibson is currently tearing things up in the minors, though...

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...nclick_check=1

"We don't fast track players; players fast track themselves," Twins general manager Bill Smith said. "When they demonstrate they have played their way out of one league, when a player demonstrates that ability, we'll push him to the next level.

"We try to challenge our players. We want them in a league where they're challenged and not in over their heads. (Gibson) was ready for the next step, so we promoted him" to Double-A.

Gibson is 7-2 with a 2.81 earned-run average with 67 strikeouts and 20 walks in 75 1/3 innings combined at Class AA New Britain and Class A Fort Myers.

Just a little more on that....

Gibson was 3-0 with a 1.37 ERA since a promotion to New Britain. But he was rocked for six earned runs in 5 2/3 innings Saturday night against Binghamton.

"I'm not sure if I'm ahead, behind or on pace," Gibson said before that start. "I've never been given a timeline."

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I remember wanting Kyle Gibson. Obviously, I was wrong with Leake being nothing short of sensational.

Kyle Gibson is currently tearing things up in the minors, though...

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...nclick_check=1

"We don't fast track players; players fast track themselves," Twins general manager Bill Smith said. "When they demonstrate they have played their way out of one league, when a player demonstrates that ability, we'll push him to the next level.

"We try to challenge our players. We want them in a league where they're challenged and not in over their heads. (Gibson) was ready for the next step, so we promoted him" to Double-A.

Gibson is 7-2 with a 2.81 earned-run average with 67 strikeouts and 20 walks in 75 1/3 innings combined at Class AA New Britain and Class A Fort Myers.

Gibson could easily turn out to be the better pick. FWIW.

Final Prediction Time- Speed Round: Post who you think the Reds will pick in one word (no multiple selections allowed.) I'll start:

Colon
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?