Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds outfield -- 2010

Re: Reds outfield -- 2010

Isn't that Ankiel for just this season? How listing both players last 2-3 years? Nix...I'm no big fan of Ankiel, but he is a far better player than Nix.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Ankiel had injuries this year.
    Did he slip on his HGH cream?

Seriously, drop any notion of picking that guy up.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Did he slip on his HGH cream?

Seriously, drop any notion of picking that guy up.
    Couldn't agree more. We have better options in the system right now IMO

If we cannot upgrade our bat at SS (which understandably is hard to do save the oft-discused BP shift), I would like to add a boa-fide bug bat in LF. However, I generally do like what we have among Dickerson (LF/CF), Gomes (LF), Stubbs (CF), Bruce (RF), Nix (sub for any of the 3 spots) and either Balantien or Heisey as options also. I know Tavares is not listed and it is indeed no certainty tha he won't be in the mix, but with even just the above mentioned guys, I see no need for him, let alone if we actually acquire a bigger bat... Dead horse territory I know, but I cannot stress how disappointed I was with Taveras defensively this year. I knew he may well suck at the plate, but man he got horrid reads and jumps.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Ankiel only had 172 AB's in 2007 so I wouldn't give a lot of weight to that. He's had one good season, 2008, and dropped off quite a bit this year. His lifetime .770 OPS doesn't suggest the kind of starter we need. He's probably a better player than Nix despite this year, although it should be said about Nix that he really hasn't played in the majors since 2004 and thus it's harder to say just what to expect from him. I see Nix strictly as a backup guy, probably a 4th outfielder, though I doubt we'll be able to keep both him and Gomes (maybe neither) as I think they'll find places willing to play them more than we will--especially if the approach becomes to treat Stubbs as an everyday guy and not a platoon player [in that case, CD becomes clearly #4 or part of a LF platoon, Nix drops to at least 5, maybe 6, depending on Balentien, and goes in search of another job]

I know I can be called on this one for years, but IMO Stubbs will eventually be an everyday starter. He likely could use some time sharing the position with Dickerson early next year, but I am mightily impressed with his combination of power, defensive instinct, and speed. And in the minors he had on base skills, which probably will come along with major league time.

Bring him along appropriately, but as far as centerfield goes, I think this guy will be the team's full time starter within a year.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-04-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Ankiel only had 172 AB's in 2007 so I wouldn't give a lot of weight to that. He's had one good season, 2008, and dropped off quite a bit this year. His lifetime .770 OPS doesn't suggest the kind of starter we need. He's probably a better player than Nix despite this year, although it should be said about Nix that he really hasn't played in the majors since 2004 and thus it's harder to say just what to expect from him. I see Nix strictly as a backup guy, probably a 4th outfielder, though I doubt we'll be able to keep both him and Gomes (maybe neither) as I think they'll find places willing to play them more than we will--especially if the approach becomes to treat Stubbs as an everyday guy and not a platoon player [in that case, CD becomes clearly #4 or part of a LF platoon, Nix drops to at least 5, maybe 6, depending on Balentien, and goes in search of another job]
    I'm not a fan of Ankiel, he's just a lot better player than Nix. There's a reason Nix hasn't been in the MLB since 2004...

Bum

Time is the Revelator.

I say stay with what we got.

Spend the money on pitching.

etc. etc.

You have to score runs to win games. Period. We could have guys out there with 3.00 ERA's across the board, but the 2009 team would still lose 80 games. LF should be upgraded at the least with a player who can hit the ball with power.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ View Post

etc. etc.
    ditto....Gomes had produced and although he's not a young Barry Bonds out in left he's not an old Barry Bonds either. Dude can't catch a break on this forum

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I agree on Gomes. The biggest negative that I heard about him when we signed him was his defense. Albeit in limited times watching him, I haven't seen the stone hands and zero range I was reading about. I've seen several cannon shot throws to nail runners and several nice diving catches. He may be lacking range, but I'd say he's at least average out there on defense. And his bat, when he's on...he's lethal. Bring 'em back.

Also, his fire will be helpful with a youthful club.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Gomes is starting to make a case for himself next year.

Fay noted in his blog that Gomes is hitting something like .255 against righties, which was the knock against him coming into the year. Small sample size? A sign that Gomes is turning a corner? Something else?
    Hope isn't a strategy

for the record I'm also(as someone said)for a Dickerson/Stubbs platoon...it seems that even a young/inexperienced Stubbs still brings as much to the table as Tavares. Gimme that platoon with Gomes and Bruce and I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ View Post

etc. etc.
    Me three. The OF could certainly be upgraded but my priorities would be SS, TOR starter and catcher.

I would invest our resources in J.J. Hardy. I think the OF will be fine.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but seriously... Willy Taveras can't even serve a bench role for this team in 2010. "Stubbs can do anything he can do better!"

So, to summarize:

-trade whatever it takes to get J.J. Hardy

-sign another catcher to support Hannigan (Brian Schneider?)

-sign Octavio Dotel to shore up the bullpen

C - Hannigan
    1B - Votto
    2B - Phillips
    SS - Hardy
    3B - Rolen
    LF - Nix/Balentien/Gomes
    CF - Dickerson/Stubbs
    RF - Bruce

BN - Schneider
    BN - Janish
    BN - Nix/Gomes/Balentien
    BN - Nix/Gomes/Balentien
    BN - Dickerson/Stubbs

SP - Harang
    SP - Cueto
    SP - Arroyo
    SP - Bailey
    SP - Maloney

CL - Cordero
    SU - Dotel
    SU - Masset
    LS - Rhodes
    MR - Herrera
    MR - Fisher
    LR - Owings

All of a sudden I don't feel so pessimistic about next year.

I think good health (500 PAs from Rolen and a full season of Votto) and smart managing (proper use of platoons, knowing when to bench the inferior player, productive batting order, etc.) could give us an above average offense.

That leaves us with the other side of the coin--run prevention. On paper the defense is excellent. Adding a veteran live arm to the bullpen further reinforces a strength of 2009. All that remains is the starting pitching (the toughest part of the equation). Given that Harang and Arroyo will combine for 400 innings of league average-ness, all we need is one of Cueto/Bailey to break through in a big way. That happens and something is cooking IMO...

Turn Off Ads?