Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Redzone All-star Thread thread

The Redzone All-star Thread thread

With the recent merging and retooling of redszone marking a time to look forward (it's the third version since I've been here and I'm still a newbie compared to many redzoners), this also seems like a good time to look back at some of the great threads that have allowed redszone to have such a long internet life.

My absolute favorite place in redszone is the archives. Lets use this thread to "bump" some of the high-quality discussion threads of the past that make up redszone's history.

This thread isn't about "gotcha" moments or personalities. It's about great content and discussion. A drawback of the archives is that they are a bit frustrating to search. I'm hoping that this thread can be used to highlight some of the most interesting threads from the past and thus be an easily accessible one-stop shop for hours of fun reading, often from voices of the past that don't post so much anymore.

Here's some more or less random candidates (i.e. things I happen to be rereading this morning) just to start things off:

Raisor's Pyth Thm of Baseball and the Nationals

Strike out = to any other out?

Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn.....again.

Dont look now-Dunn having the year we always hoped for

Bowden shopping John Patterson and Nick Johnson

Tracking Adam Dunn on the All-Time Career Homerun List

Again, this is just a random sampling of stuff, I'm reading this morning. There are truly many GREAT golden nuggets in the archives. How about it-who wants to help unearth them again?

If you have some favorites or stumble across something great when doing a search, please post a link in this thread too.
    Last edited by jojo; 02-03-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Redzone All-star Thread thread

ah, back in the days when I had only been awarded three nobel prizes.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Was hoping Atomic Dumpling would make a tracking Jay Bruce on the all-time home run list like he did Dunn. That was a great thread.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    ah, back in the days when I had only been awarded three nobel prizes.
    Last count I heard it's 54?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Was hoping Atomic Dumpling would make a tracking Jay Bruce on the all-time home run list like he did Dunn. That was a great thread.
    Thanks for appreciating that thread!

I am working on doing a similar project to track Jay Bruce's home run exploits and how they criss-cross with baseball history. I started to do it last year but had too many other time obligations. Hopefully I can do it this year. When the guy is hitting home runs in bunches it is hard to keep up because it takes hours to research and write each post.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Last count I heard it's 54?
    And don't forget the 3 Olympic Gold Medals (steeplechase).
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

8. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (02-04-2013)

How is Chris Carpenter going to explain this type of thread to his son?

I'm confused, this thread is titled "The Redszone All-star Thread," but I don't see myself mentioned anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I'm confused, this thread is titled "The Redszone All-star Thread," but I don't see myself mentioned anywhere?
    Are you a thread? I always thought you were a bot.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    That's because you aren't an All Star.

I'm mentioned in the TITLE of the first thread listed.

I am an All Star.

That's the difference.

This may well be the only Game Thread that would make the list:

Reds vs Pirates 5/12/10 Game Thread (aka "Legend of the Rally Onion")

Might well be the only RZ thread that also spawned its own Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally...ref=ts&fref=ts
    Last edited by redsmetz; 02-04-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

14. Likes:

cincyinco (02-04-2013)

I'd nominate one of those for All-Star Most Annoying Thread.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

There was another thread that Vaticanplum started with memories of her grandfather and how she became a baseball fan because of him. It was incredibly written and evoked quite a number of very good responses. Unfortunately I can't find it in the archives. Perhaps someone who is more adept at dragging forward very old threads might have better luck.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Are you a thread? I always thought you were a bot.
    Looks like I may have misread the thread title

This should make the list for the entertainment value:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99991

Turn Off Ads?