Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Reds draft signings

Re: No I gave the link Clarke signed, but

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    That last post you have quoted was a post titled Mitch Barnhart. Mitch Clarke was the preceeding post but mac particular post had Mitch Barnharts name in the title.
    Ahh, sorry I missed that. Thanks.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2009 Reds draft signings

I saw 13th rounder Nick Christiani of Vandy pitch, it was a replay of his game against the National Champs LSU, he's a stout little guy with a live fastball that was consistently at 92-93 and he hit 94 once for the 4 innings he pitched, he gave up 3 runs on a couple of doubles. He has a looping change up they were calling a circle change and he had a decent slider, I was impressed with his fastball. If I had to say who he reminded me of, I would say the guy for St.Louis, Thompson.

Reds near deals with top two Draft picks
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Looks like Buckley is getting close with Leake and Boxburger.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Reds near deals with top two Draft picks
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Looks like Buckley is getting close with Leake and Boxburger.
    Good news. Glad things are going well. No sense inr ushing. I would even let them sit until instructional league, if need be. Interesting that he said Leach was closer to ready than Boxberger and he threw about 50% more innings. were there any physical/injury issues with the Boxter?

I thought boxberger was a closer at USC, but the thought was he could be turned into a starter for the long haul. Perhaps his arm's not stretched out enough, and they don't see the need in fighting that issue now, but better to wait for instructional league then have him starting full time in the Dayton lineup to start next year.

Speaking of Dayton, if Leake doesn't play at all this year, would they start him there? I guess they'd start him in Arizona assuming the High A team stays there so he could be closer to home, he's probably ready for that level, and I assume they have a base of scouts/personal at the minor league/high A/GCL training facility full time and could be kept better eye on.

If its Dayton, I doubt Marc Katz would be writing any pity party articles about the lack of high end talent at Dayton next year w/ potentially Leake, Boxberger, Duran, Rodriquez, Fluery, Hamilton, etc... that could potentially be placed there next year. I'm sure some of them, namely fluery, Leake and possible Box will be in High A at the start of next year, but there is the potential to have the best collection of talent/tools in Dayton since the Dunn, Kearns, Acevedo, Olmedo, Howington, etc... group that made 5/3 field home during their initial season.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I thought boxberger was a closer at USC, but the thought was he could be turned into a starter for the long haul. Perhaps his arm's not stretched out enough, and they don't see the need in fighting that issue now, but better to wait for instructional league then have him starting full time in the Dayton lineup to start next year.

Speaking of Dayton, if Leake doesn't play at all this year, would they start him there? I guess they'd start him in Arizona assuming the High A team stays there so he could be closer to home, he's probably ready for that level, and I assume they have a base of scouts/personal at the minor league/high A/GCL training facility full time and could be kept better eye on.

If its Dayton, I doubt Marc Katz would be writing any pity party articles about the lack of high end talent at Dayton next year w/ potentially Leake, Boxberger, Duran, Rodriquez, Fluery, Hamilton, etc... that could potentially be placed there next year. I'm sure some of them, namely fluery, Leake and possible Box will be in High A at the start of next year, but there is the potential to have the best collection of talent/tools in Dayton since the Dunn, Kearns, Acevedo, Olmedo, Howington, etc... group that made 5/3 field home during their initial season.
    Yeah, my guess is Leake and Boxberger both start in High A (the article insinuated as much) with Leake moving to AA by Memorial Day, assuming everything goes to plan.

Even without those two, Dayton looks to be quite strong next year. Hamilton, Rodriguez, Duran and Fleury should all start there, with some returning arms like Lotzkar, Hildenbrandt, Shea Snowden and Tyler Cline in the rotation.
    Go BLUE!!!

Hamilton, Duran, and Rodriguez will play next season in Billings (assuming they continue progressing) or in the GCL again (wherever that may be). Fluery and those Canadians that are hurt are proably in Dayton, but I'd guess Leake is in High A even next season. Part of his appeal as a prospect is that he's close to the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Hamilton, Duran, and Rodriguez will play next season in Billings (assuming they continue progressing) or in the GCL again (wherever that may be). Fluery and those Canadians that are hurt are proably in Dayton, but I'd guess Leake is in High A even next season. Part of his appeal as a prospect is that he's close to the majors.
    You might be right about Duran and Rodriguez, but I'll be surprised if Hamilton is not in Dayton next year. Obviously it depends to some degree on how he performs the rest of this season, but the guy was a 2nd round pick and he's hit well in the GCL so far. Furthermore, the Reds have Junior Arias, Humberto Valor, and the other Dominican SS (his name escapes me at the moment) that should all be playing in the GCL next year (and possibly even Billings in Arias' case.)
    Go BLUE!!!

Agreed. It is no sure thing that those 3 guys -- Hamilton, Rodriguez, Duran -- make it out of the GCL next year. If they do, it's to Billings.

Daniel Tuttle signed

5th rounder Daniel Tuttle is now showing up on the GCL Reds roster.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=572218

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Agreed. It is no sure thing that those 3 guys -- Hamilton, Rodriguez, Duran -- make it out of the GCL next year. If they do, it's to Billings.
    Are we sure? Yorman and Duran turn 18 next year (or does Duran turn 18 prior to the season? I remember he signed earlier than the IFA period due to a loophole since he had previously turned 16 prior to such and such date), while I assume Hamilton will turn 19 like the typical 1 year removed from HS kid does.

If they were top prospects coming out of the draft, they'd be scheduled for Dayton the season following their rookie campaign, while there is instructional league play prior to the rookie leagues, Dayton offers a full season of 'normal' competition while mainting a spot close to the parent's club home base, vs out in Arizona where I assume instructional league will be held following spring training.

If all 3 show promise w/ the GCL Reds this year, it wouldn't surprise me 1 bit to see them start out in Dayton next year.

Most of Cincinnati's HS draftees go to the GCL first, then Billings for a year, then Dayton as 20/21-year-olds. Most of baseball does it the same way, FWIW.

Hamilton will play in Billings next season and Duran and Rodriguez will either play there or repeat the GCL, as they're a year younger

Are we sure? Yorman and Duran turn 18 next year (or does Duran turn 18 prior to the season? I remember he signed earlier than the IFA period due to a loophole since he had previously turned 16 prior to such and such date), while I assume Hamilton will turn 19 like the typical 1 year removed from HS kid does.
    Rodriguez is 16 -- this year. He'll be 17 next year for most of the season. Duran will be 18, I think. Guys that age almost never get out of rookie ball. Hamilton would have to skip a level to get to Dayton, and he's too raw to do that. Reports indicate he's learning to switch hit, too. He will not be rushed.

Eventually these guys will get to Dayton, and Marc Katz can smile again. But it won't be next year, I feel certain.

According to Fey the reds have signed No. 19 LHP Mitchell Clarke from Ontario Canada, and No. 22 1b Dave Stewart fom a J.C.

Stewert said at first he was not going to sign, so

I wonder he they over-slotted him? With Tuttle on board and Leake and Boxberger soon to be, all I want is Barnhart and Fowler and we'll have made a great haul in signing these kids again.

Turn Off Ads?