Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horesekeeping On Small Acreage Lots

Horesekeeping On Small Acreage Lots

I'm hoping somebody on here can help point me in the right direction on this. I've had my daughter in riding lessons for some time now, and she has progressed to a point that it's time to start looking to get her own horse for her (and mine also!!!!). The problem is, we live on 3 acres. We have a very wide 3 acre lot, that is nearly a perfect sqaure (350 ft. side to side and 348 front to back). Our zoning is agricultural, but typically requires 5 acres to own horses, but I recently talked with our zoning administrator and said that a special use variance wouldn't be a hard hurdle to jump over.

Right now, my wife's parents live next door to us and as they age, their health is starting to sour a little bit also, so moving to a place with more acreage isn't a viable option. Also, most boarding rates run nearly $400 p/ month in this area, and I'm the only bread winner in the family so that route is out also.

I checked a book out from the library that deals specifically with this topic, and really starting to get into the nuts and bolts of it. It looks like it will address some of my concerns, I just wanted to see if anybody around has experience with keeping horse on smaller lots like mine. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by dman; 10-28-2006 at 01:37 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Horesekeeping On Small Acreage Lots

If you don't have the space, or the resources to board a horse somewhere that does, don't do it. Animals need adequate space.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    Right now, my wife's parents live next door to us and as they age, their health is starting to sour a little bit also, so moving to a place with more acreage isn't a viable option.
    Is there any way you can utilize a bit of your in-laws land without family upheaval? Maybe you could purchase a bit from them or even lease it for a reasonable sum.

GL

How much of the 3 acres could you fence off for the horses? One issue with keeping them in a small pen/lot is that you have to feed them hay and/or grain year round which can get expensive. Does the $400 per month include feed or is that separate? If it's included, it may not be a bad price overall. However, I personally hate boarding horses. If I can't keep them on my property where I can care for them personally, I wouldn't own any. That's just me though.

Yes and yes to bot suggestions in reference to gonleong's and BRM's questions. My in-laws are very willing to part out some property and a lot of this 3 acres can be fenced off, due to our house being up close to the front of the property. I measured yesterday, and estimated that we could put together a roughly 260x350 corral. I thhink we might just be able to swing this. And I pretty much was banking on hay and grain, I've made some contacts to give us a decent price on that stuff.
    My daughter's really starting to get her jumps down, and I ready to let her take the next step of ownership.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I think the proper ratio is one animal/one acre. Large animals like horses and cows. Heard or read that somewhere.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Yes and yes to bot suggestions in reference to gonleong's and BRM's questions. My in-laws are very willing to part out some property and a lot of this 3 acres can be fenced off, due to our house being up close to the front of the property. I measured yesterday, and estimated that we could put together a roughly 260x350 corral. I thhink we might just be able to swing this. And I pretty much was banking on hay and grain, I've made some contacts to give us a decent price on that stuff.
    My daughter's really starting to get her jumps down, and I ready to let her take the next step of ownership.
    You should be fine with two horses in that corral. It sounds you will be exercising them frequently so that's good. Horses are a never-ending expense as I'm sure you are already aware. My wife loves owning horses but hates the expense. It just goes with the territory. Good luck!

Whoa, did I read that correctly, that your daughter is into equestrian sports, like jumping? Will you be exercising and training the horse on this lot? If so you might need all 5 acres you require by zoning standards. A horse can cover alot of ground quickly.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Whoa, did I read that correctly, that your daughter is into equestrian sports, like jumping? Will you be exercising and training the horse on this lot? If so you might need all 5 acres you require by zoning standards. A horse can cover alot of ground quickly.
    Right, Hunter/Jumper class. I'm going to take a look at a couple of corrals that people have set up for this kind of stuff, with smaller lots. They just have to wrestle with setting up/taking down the jump obstacles.

Need one really large shovel.

Wanted to bump this up. We worked out a deal with an elderly lady who live across the road from us. She has 15 acres and her husband recently passed away. Her family lives kind of far, so taking care of her property gets difficult. We're going to pay to have the lunge area, stables, and fencing put up, and she will let us keep them there pretty much free of charge, other than what I've mentioned. She views this as an easy way to take care of a good prtion of the property.

Time to start shopping for my daughter now. For her type of riding, we're leaning toward an Appendix Quarter Horse. My wife and I are looking for something a little more laid back for us. Maybe a Foxtrotter or a Tennessee Waker. Something with a nice, smooth gait.

Wanted to bump this up. We worked out a deal with an elderly lady who live across the road from us. She has 15 acres and her husband recently passed away. Her family lives kind of far, so taking care of her property gets difficult. We're going to pay to have the lunge area, stables, and fencing put up, and she will let us keep them there pretty much free of charge, other than what I've mentioned. She views this as an easy way to take care of a good prtion of the property.

Time to start shopping for my daughter now. For her type of riding, we're leaning toward an Appendix Quarter Horse. My wife and I are looking for something a little more laid back for us. Maybe a Foxtrotter or a Tennessee Waker. Something with a nice, smooth gait.

that sounds great dman. make sure you get a contract though. you wouldn't want to make and investment and then lose your rights if they sell the property.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    that sounds great dman. make sure you get a contract though. you wouldn't want to make and investment and then lose your rights if they sell the property.
    Not to mention her Kids may see things differently than she does. If she passes away or they take over her estate you might have an issue if you don't have a contract of some kind, say a lease of some sort.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Not to mention her Kids may see things differently than she does. If she passes away or they take over her estate you might have an issue if you don't have a contract of some kind, say a lease of some sort.

GL
    Already drawing up the paperwork for that. Then we'll take it to a Notary from there, maybe even an attorney for a full review.

Already drawing up the paperwork for that. Then we'll take it to a Notary from there, maybe even an attorney for a full review.
    Just keep in mind that many of the things necessary for a horse are basically permanent improvements. How will it affect her taxes, how about insurance, and what is your liability once she passes away? Just make sure you have your ducks in a row, or you could be out several thousand dollars very quickly.

Turn Off Ads?