Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Re: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing a Hairston/Dickerson platoon in CF for awhile.
    also agree. time to see if Dickerson is a viable part of a CF platoon, a 4th OF, a 5th OF or a AAA player.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Word is that Jr. is in the line-up and batting 6th tonight for the White Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Word is that Jr. is in the line-up and batting 6th tonight for the White Sox.
    Manager Ozzie Guillen said Griffey will play center field, a position he hasn't played since 2006, and occasionally serve as the designated hitter.

"He comes here to play every day, no doubt about it," Guillen said. "But we are here to win. And we'll see how it works."

Griffey will start Friday night in Kansas City and bat sixth or seventh, Guillen said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,3373752.story

Looks like Ozzie doesn't respect Junior. Mayhem incoming.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I wonder if he asked Griffey if that was ok or if he just made the decision based on what he felt gave his team the best chance to win?....Because here, nobody had the stones to do that.

I bet Ozzie did what he felt was best for the team, while still respecting Junior as a ballplayer.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I wonder if he asked Griffey if that was ok or if he just made the decision based on what he felt gave his team the best chance to win?....Because here, nobody had the stones to do that.

I bet Ozzie did what he felt was best for the team, while still respecting Junior as a ballplayer.
    I agree. Ozzie has no man love for Junior but will show him respect. Ozzie runs that show and he's not going to let Junior take over.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I think the crap loaded onto Junior for batting 3rd is another load of crock. If you read some of the comments from the REDS previously and just yesterday it was more that the REDS players here don't want to bad third. Junior stood up as a man and said he'd do it. Phillips already said he is uncomfortable batting third, Dunn has said it before too (he also seems much more comfortable batting 5 or 6) so as much as REDSZONE loves pounding on Junior for batting third its not Junior.

Looks like Fay can't help keeping his paranoia either. The faster he loses his job the better REDS baseball will be. I mean he now blames Junior for depriving him of sleep last night!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Okay. Sure. But paltry savings is *so* Dan O'Brien.

And more importantly: why is Homer Bailey still a Red?
    Or Drew Stubbs, or David Weathers, or Jeremy Affeldt, or Todd Coffey for that matter...

There's a long list of guys on our 25 and 40 man rosters that fit the description of "why are you still a Red?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    I think the crap loaded onto Junior for batting 3rd is another load of crock.
    A lot of stats have been posted on the subject of batting third on RZ.
    Are you stating that there has not been a decline in the batting skills of a aging player ?

If you read some of the comments from the REDS previously and just yesterday it was more that the REDS players here don't want to bad third. Junior stood up as a man and said he'd do it. Phillips already said he is uncomfortable batting third, Dunn has said it before too (he also seems much more comfortable batting 5 or 6) so as much as REDSZONE loves pounding on Junior for batting third its not Junior.
    Player comments are so subject to facades and saying the right thing, how can you be so sure that, that is not just office politics, and saying the right thing?

One thing that we do know is that Reds ownership never built a team around Griffey or Dunn.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 08-01-2008 at 04:40 PM.

I think the crap loaded onto Junior for batting 3rd is another load of crock. If you read some of the comments from the REDS previously and just yesterday it was more that the REDS players here don't want to bad third. Junior stood up as a man and said he'd do it. Phillips already said he is uncomfortable batting third, Dunn has said it before too (he also seems much more comfortable batting 5 or 6) so as much as REDSZONE loves pounding on Junior for batting third its not Junior.

Man that's a load....

"I didn't want to put that pressure on him to lead off," Baker said. "The third spot right now belongs to Junior. The fourth spot belongs to [Brandon] Phillips. The fifth spot belongs to [Adam] Dunn. Junior has 20 years of batting third. Just bide your time and learn everything. It will work out sooner or later."
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I think the crap loaded onto Junior for batting 3rd is another load of crock.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...808010349/1071

One respected sabermetric service ranks the Reds' No. 3 hole hitters and right fielders (in both cases, almost exclusively Griffey) 23rd out of the major leagues' 30 teams this season.

But because every statistical fielding service says Griffey no longer has any range in the outfield, all indications are that he will be exposed even more playing center than he was playing right for the Reds. He presently ranks among the bottom third defensively among all National League right fielders.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...808010349/1071

Holy crap, a ML manager has the balls to not bat Griffey 3rd. Griff is hitting 7th tonight for the White Sox.

I am in shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    A lot of stats have been posted on the subject of batting third on RZ.
    Are you stating that there has not been a decline in the batting skills of a aging player ?

Player comments are so subject to facades and saying the right thing, how can you be so sure that, that is not just office politics, and saying the right thing?

One thing that we do know is that Reds ownership never built a team around Griffey or Dunn.
    I'm not saying the stats are crock but the crap that is hurled at Junior for batting 3rd. It appears that players at the REDS don't want to bad 3rd but Junior is vilified for batting 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Man I don't think you quoted Junior there.

I'm not saying the stats are crock but the crap that is hurled at Junior for batting 3rd. It appears that players at the REDS don't want to bad 3rd but Junior is vilified for batting 3rd.
    Well, that is the managers job to make out the lineup, so you have a point. I can't blame Patterson or Griffey for where the manager puts them in the lineup.

Turn Off Ads?