Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bryan Price named Pitching coach

Bryan Price named Pitching coach

Got a text saying that Price was hired.

Details to follow

I have to say that I love this hire.
    Last edited by Raisor; 10-17-2009 at 04:31 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Bryan Price named Pitching coach

C. Trent tweeted this, too.

In response to C. Trent's tweet, some guy on Twitter said "I'd rather have Joe Price."

Retired

Guess you can kiss the LaRussa idea goodbye to.

The Price was right.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

It's an upgrade from Pole to be sure.

But I don't know that it's anything to get too excited about.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

If we couldn't get Duncan i'm glad it's Price.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Bryan Price (b. June 22, 1962, in San Francisco, California) is a Major League Baseball pitching coach.

He was the Seattle Mariners' pitching coach from 2001-06, and the Arizona Diamondbacks coach until May 7, 2009. He also worked for the Philadelphia Phillies as a minor league consultant.[1]

On October 17th, 2009. He was named the new pitching coach of the Cincinnati Reds.
    wiki already has Price updated

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/conte...7/c7480918.jsp

Reds name Bryan Price pitching coach
    10/17/2009 3:23 PM ET
    MLB.com

The Cincinnati Reds have named Bryan Price pitching coach for manager Dusty Baker's Major League coaching staff.

Price, 47, spent the last 10 seasons as a pitching coach in the Major Leagues. He held that position with the Arizona Diamondbacks from 2006 until he resigned on May 8 of this season after manager Bob Melvin was replaced by A.J. Hinch. Before joining the D'Backs he spent 6 seasons as pitching coach for the Seattle Mariners, including the 2003 and 2004 campaigns when the club was managed by Melvin.

"We're very excited to be able to hire someone with Bryan's background and history of success," said Reds President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Walt Jocketty.

Price was named Major League Coach of the Year by Baseball America in 2007 after his Diamondbacks staff posted a 4.13 ERA, fourth-best in the National League, on the way to an appearance in the NL Championship Series. His 2008 starting staff led the majors with 95 quality starts, ranked second in the league with 65 wins and ranked fourth with a 3.95 ERA, Arizona's lowest team ERA since 2003.

In 2001 while with the Mariners, Price earned USA Today Baseball Weekly's Pitching Coach of the Year Award after leading that staff to the American League ERA title with a 3.54 mark, an improvement of almost a run per game from the previous season.

Before joining Seattle's Major League staff, Price was a pitching coach in the Mariners' minor league system from 1989-97 before serving as the organization's pitching coordinator in 1998 and 1999. Before he began his coaching career, he pitched for 5 seasons in the Angels' and Mariners' minor league systems.

Price graduated in 1980 from Tamalpais High School in Mill Valley, California, where he was All-State as a senior, then went on to earn 4 varsity letters playing for the University of California at Berkeley. He is featured in the book Guiding Lights under the chapter "life changing teachers and mentors."

Bryan Price's Coaching Career

* 1989-1990 - Pitching Coach, Arizona League Mariners
    * 1991 - Pitching Coach, Peninsula Pilots (Carolina League)
    * 1992 -Pitching Coach, Bellingham Mariners (Northwest League)
    * 1993 - Pitching Coach, Riverside Red Wave (California League)
    * 1994 - Pitching Coach, Bellingham Mariners (Northwest League)
    * 1995 - Pitching Coach, Everett Aquasox (Northwest League)
    * 1996 - Pitching Coach, Port City Roosters (Southern League)
    * 1997 - Pitching Coach, Memphis Chicks (Southern League)
    * 1998-1999 - Minor League Pitching Coordinator, Seattle Mariners
    * 2000-2005 - Pitching Coach, Seattle Mariners
    * 2006-2009 - Pitching Coach, Arizona Diamondbacks

Anybody have the goods on him? What does he do well? What's his reputation? Why was he let go from the D'Backs mid-season? Any relation to the Bryan Price who's a Red Sox pitching prospect?

I'm guessing that a big reason for the choice was his age and ability to mentor our young pitchers.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Anybody have the goods on him? What does he do well? What's his reputation? Why was he let go from the D'Backs mid-season? Any relation to the Bryan Price who's a Red Sox pitching prospect?

I'm guessing that a big reason for the choice was his age and ability to mentor our young pitchers.
    He wasn't let go. HE resigned when they fired Bob Melvin.

It'll be interesting if he can help convince Webb to come here, maybe on an incentive laden deal.

Great hire. Short of getting Duncan, he and Rick Peterson were both guys I was crossing my fingers for. I think his ability to relate to his players will make him a popular, effective choice.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I am impressed. This is a positive step.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    It'll be interesting if he can help convince Webb to come here, maybe on an incentive laden deal.
    Hmmm??? Hadn't thought about that connection.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

When Price was pitching coach for Lou in Seattle, he was a very strong influence in the dugout. He'd stand up to Lou when Price thought that Lou wasn't handling the pitching correctly.

That's what I remember about him anyway.

Turn Off Ads?