Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bumps

Re: Bumps

Anderson back to Chatt. Tordi back to Sarasota. Herr activated in Louisville.
    BJ back to Chatt from Louisville.
    Last edited by Redman15; 07-28-2008 at 07:55 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Drew Bowman and Mike Bohana are now in Billings. The Reds acquired Darrick Hale, a 23-year-old, undrafted shortstop from the independent leagues. As mentioned in other threads, the Reds released Tom Collaro, who was replaced by Szymanski.

Petr Cech and Tzu-Kai Chiu are both listed as active on GCL's roster. I also forgot to mention that Jerry Gil is pitching for GCL, not Sarasota, as many people assumed would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Drew Bowman and Mike Bohana are now in Billings. The Reds acquired Darrick Hale, a 23-year-old, undrafted shortstop from the independent leagues. As mentioned in other threads, the Reds released Tom Collaro, who was replaced by Szymanski.
    I foundt his on the Cal State LA website. It sounds like clubs were hesitant about the injury. I'm guessing his play at Yuma answered some questions.

Cal State L.A. shortstop Darrick Hale has become the third Golden Eagle from the 2008 squad to embark on a professional baseball career.

Hale has signed with the Yuma Scorpions of the independent Golden Baseball League and has already made his professional debut. He got his first start for Yuma on Monday and responded by going 2-for-5 with two runs scored and two RBI. His first hit for Yuma was a double.

Hale was one of the top players for the Golden Eagles in 2008. He was off to a fantastic start before suffering a season-ending foot injury against Cal State Dominguez Hills on March 22. Hale hit .380 in 30 games with eight home runs, 34 runs scored and 22 RBI. He had a team-best on-base percentage of .468.

He earned All-California Collegiate Athletic Association honorable mention.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Would have thought Manuel would get the call. In any event, the AAA pitching staff now has very few journeymen and mostly prospects. Good development.
    Robert Manuel is on the Louisville roster today.

Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    Sweet. That's a well deserved promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    I hope he sticks. I'm not so sure he's needed with Coffey returning. Then again, Pelland is on the DL, and McBeth is on the reserve list.

Frank Pfister is (most likely temporarily) on Sarasota's roster.

Since no one mentioned it in this thread last week, I'll go ahead and note that Matt Klinker was promoted to Sarasota (to take the place of Alex Smit, who will pitch in the Olympics), and Steve Otterness returned to Dayton from Billings.

More info on Hale.

Reds sign local star Hale to contract
    Wave Staff Report 31.JUL.08
    For whatever reason, Darrick Hale slipped through the cracks during the time Major League Baseball was conducting its first-year player draft in early June.

But he didn’t go undiscovered for long.

Almost two months after being ignored in the 50-round draft, the Cincinnati Reds acquired the contract of the former Downey High School, Compton College and Cal State L.A. shortstop from the Yuma Scorpions of the independent Golden Baseball League.

He was signed by Cincinnati scout Rex de la Nuez, who was a two-time all-conference outfielder at Cal State L.A. and was drafted out of college by the Minnesota Twins in 1989.

Hale had been with Yuma for just over a month when the Reds signed him July 25.

He took his physical Monday before reporting to the Reds’ rookie team in Sarasota, Fla. of the Gulf Coast League.

“Darrick is a fine young player with exceptional defensive skills and is a strong hitter as well,” Scorpion manager Mike Marshall said. “He’s got a great future with the Reds and somehow slipped through the draft in June. We were glad to have him and showcase his skills during the last month.”

Hale, 22, is a 5-foot-10, 175-pounder who had his senior season at Cal State L.A. cut short by a foot injury March 22. In the 30 games he played, Hale batted .380 with eight home runs and 22 RBIs and had a team-high .468 on-base average.

Fully recovered from his injury, Hale joined Yuma in late June. In 12 games, he batted .325 with three home runs. He had an 11-game hitting streak going at the time he was signed.

Hale is the 16th Golden Baseball League player to be acquired by a big league organization in 2008.

At Downey, he was All-San Gabriel Valley League as a junior and senior, then earned honorable mention All-South Coast Conference honors at Compton. He batted .331 for the Tartars.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I hope he sticks. I'm not so sure he's needed with Coffey returning. Then again, Pelland is on the DL, and McBeth is on the reserve list.
    I missed that about Pelland, what's wrong with him?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I missed that about Pelland, what's wrong with him?
    He has shoulder tendonitis.

In other news, Aaron Herr was traded to the Phillies.

JaxRed, when I saw the blurb from Cal State and read about the injury, I surmised that clubs passed due to the injury. Nice to see our scouts looking at the independent leagues and moving on a player who seems to be showing that he's recovered from an injury. Long way to Cincinnat, but I'm glad to see the Reds looking under every rock.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Jeff Jeffords is pitching tonight for Chattanooga. I had no idea he had been promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Jeff Jeffords is pitching tonight for Chattanooga. I had no idea he had been promoted.
    It might be temporary. There are guys in Sarasota who are probably a little more deserving of a promotion, and Dayton is closer to Chattanooga than Florida. Also, Chattanooga is a little short-handed since Carlos Fisher, Robert Manuel, Ben Jukich, and Bobby Livingston have all recently been moved to Louisville.

Turn Off Ads?