Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Season Awards

Season Awards

I'm sitting here watching the TBS pregame coverage and they are talking about the postseason awards of course like all analyst do. Ripken and Eckersley agree on all the choices.

AL MVP: Morneau
    NL MVP: Howard

AL CY Young: Lee
    NL CY Young: Lincecum

To me Lee is just simply obvious and Lincecum isn't a bad choice either, although Webb is hard to forget about. My biggest beef with what appears to be the choice for tons of people is Howard. Not even looking at the strikeouts and average argument, Pujols is still the MVP in my book. Pujols plays in a far inferior lineup than Howard. For Pujols to put up those types of numbers in that lineup to me is way more impressive. If you plug Pujols into the Phillies lineup what sort of ungodly numbers would he put up? If you do factor in the average, which a lot of Saber guys don't like to do, you can't deny the fact that Pujols' .356 average is amazing. When you have an average that high you have to acknowledge it.

Thoughts?
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Season Awards

agree on the CY youngs but my MVPs would be Mauer and Pujols

Both are having outstanding seasons, and both are very valuable, but Pujols kept a very mediocre team in contention far longer than they had any right to be.

Also, with the game on the line, I would rather have Pujols up than Howard.

The one big factor in Howards favor is his monster September. He has hit a lot of clutch homers to help the Phillies win some key games.

I also would give the CY Young to Brad Lidge. He has been perfect in save situations (41-41) and has 92 K's in 69 innings, while giving up only 50 hits and just 2 homers.

If his monster september helps him then the awful start of the season should hurt him.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Both are having outstanding seasons, and both are very valuable, but Pujols kept a very mediocre team in contention far longer than they had any right to be.

Also, with the game on the line, I would rather have Pujols up than Howard.

The one big factor in Howards favor is his monster September. He has hit a lot of clutch homers to help the Phillies win some key games.

I also would give the CY Young to Brad Lidge. He has been perfect in save situations (41-41) and has 92 K's in 69 innings, while giving up only 50 hits and just 2 homers.
    Just can't see giving the cy young to a pitcher who pitches 69 innings...same for K-Rod, even though he saved 60 or whatever...

Turn Off Ads?