Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

Re: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Boy, I've seen this script before. Sorry, Bearcats fans.
    The SEC does this to teams...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Unfortunately, this game went about as I thought. I was hoping UC's offense would show better. I just didn't see how UC's defense could compete. Just a total dismantling.

And actually, I think Brian Kelly would have made some difference. I thought UC was way too high and playing out of control in the first quarter. I think Quinn didn't have the faintest idea how to prepare the team and control them. They came out with entirely too much bravado and bluster and not enough discipline and focus. Making your head coaching debut against a top echelon SEC team and best coach in the country can make you look pretty bad.

But ultimately, I don't think it would have mattered. They might have been able to make a game of it for a half, but UC just doesn't have the horses for Florida. Very few teams do.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by OSUredsFAN View Post
    Most people said the same thing after the 2006 OSU-scUM game, and look what happened......I'm just saying, don't count out Texas
    I think Texas will beat Alabama. I know I'm in the minority on that one but I think it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Where would UC finish in the SEC?
    I'm guessing middle of the pack. A solid nine or ten win team this season, depending on their schedule. Though their lack of talent defensively may have meant a couple more losses.

2009-10 UC reminds me a little of UGA's Matt Stafford-led squads, in that they could score in bunches. (Though their team speed is below that of the Bulldogs and they have nothing close to Moreno.)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

The PA announcer was the worst I've ever heard. Just awful.
    I've never heard a PA announcer before who couldn't enunciate well enough to distinguish between "Pass is complete" and "Pass incomplete" -- he was atrocious. It's not the same guy I remember from my Tulane years, and I hope to heaven that Saints fans don't have to endure him on a weekly basis.

Other thoughts from the game:

- This team looked exactly like a team that didn't have a head coach and had assistants who were playing things out for a game check and had flights booked to Indiana or New York once the game was over.

- I'm now very happy that Jeff Quinn did not get the head coaching job. The playcalling was absolutely horrible. We were sitting in the stands and wondering if Kelly had taken his playbook to South Bend with him. Too many designed roll-outs (why shrink the field when your top WR operates best on the run and in space?), not enough quick passes, and every run play seemed slow-developing. It was just a bad gameplan for a team like Florida.

- UC has no playmakers on defense. They got through the season on 50% luck and 50% the strength of their offense. To compete at the proverbial next level (which, for UC, the next level is the elite 5-10 teams in college football), they simply need more talent on defense than they've had. They lack the DBs to play press coverage, which is a must against guys like Riley Cooper, who don't want to play physical football. They lack the front-7 to pressure the passer. They don't do anything well, and last night it got exposed.

- It's been said before, but I'll say it again -- UC's band stinks and it's an embarrassment to the university that they put it on the field for games. It sounded like a pep-band compared to Florida. If you aren't going to do it right, leave them at home because it makes the school look mid-major.

Otherwise, I had a fun time in New Orleans. Looking forward to next year's road trip to Arizona when UC gets the crap beat out of them in the Fiesta Bowl.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Really? The SEC does this? UK would have done this? How about Mississippi State? Do you think South Carolina would have put up half a hundred on UC?

Florida does this, Bama would have done this. UC would probably beat the rest of the SEC teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Really? The SEC does this? UK would have done this? How about Mississippi State? Do you think South Carolina would have put up half a hundred on UC?

Florida does this, Bama would have done this. UC would probably beat the rest of the SEC teams.
    LSU wouldn't have done it either. UC was a good team that lost their head coach, that ran into a great college QB playing his last football game, for a coach that is going to be taking some time off for health problems. You could have never scripted this scenario. It was the perfect storm that the Bearcats ran into.

I truly believe that Cincy is a top 5-7 college team this year that a majoruty of teams would have had trouble with. Until we get a playoff I don't think we will ever know what teams would have done what. It's all just speculative.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    LSU wouldn't have done it either. UC was a good team that lost their head coach, that ran into a great college QB playing his last football game, for a coach that is going to be taking some time off for health problems. You could have never scripted this scenario. It was the perfect storm that the Bearcats ran into.

I truly believe that Cincy is a top 5-7 college team this year that a majoruty of teams would have had trouble with. Until we get a playoff I don't think we will ever know what teams would have done what. It's all just speculative.
    Of course it's all speculative...I'd have UC in the 12-15 range myself.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

Urban Meyer knows how to keep it claasy. You call those plays with a minute left against your alma mater. As far as I'm concerned, he's disowned from the family for that crap.
    Uh huh, UC certainly didn't stop trying to score so why should Florida? if the shoe had been on the other foot I bet UC isn't taking a knee at the end.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    - It's been said before, but I'll say it again -- UC's band stinks and it's an embarrassment to the university that they put it on the field for games. It sounded like a pep-band compared to Florida. If you aren't going to do it right, leave them at home because it makes the school look mid-major.
    Yeah, I was watching it on TV and I was thinking "Really, that's the size of your band?" when they first came out. They were small and sounded small. I would have assumed they would be better based on the CCM's reputation. I guess a lot of those music majors don't concern themselves with marching band.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Not only is UC unmasked but maybe also Brian Kelly. Will be interesting to see if he can actually do much more than anybody else recently at ND. Where would UC finish in the SEC?
    Third. The rest of the SEC hasn't looked all that good in the bowl season have they? Auburn almost lost to Northwestern. South Carolina is being shut out at half time against UCONN. LSU lost to a Penn State team who had 0 top 25 wins this year (though I do believe PSU is a quality team). Kentucky lost to Clemson. Georgia beat up a .500 Texas A&M team. Tennessee got blown out by Virginia Tech. The two teams at the top of the SEC are incredibly good. The rest of the conference this year was ho-hum.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Uh huh, UC certainly didn't stop trying to score so why should Florida? if the shoe had been on the other foot I bet UC isn't taking a knee at the end.

They were up by 27 points with 8 seconds left, the game is over. There is no point in running the ball. Take a knee. Classless move by Meyer.

Alabama could have scored again against Florida in the last minute of the SEC title game, but Saban called off the dogs. Think Florida fans would have been happy if Bama tacked on another 7 there? I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post

They were up by 27 points with 8 seconds left, the game is over. There is no point in running the ball. Take a knee. Classless move by Meyer.

Alabama could have scored again against Florida in the last minute of the SEC title game, but Saban called off the dogs. Think Florida fans would have been happy if Bama tacked on another 7 there? I don't.
    Sorry, but I don't see classless, I see a 4th string running back who doesn't get to play often getting some carries on national TV, it's the other teams job to stop them, taking a knee IMO is more of an insult, if Bama had scored again I would not have cared, who would care? a loss is a loss.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The SEC is really, really top heavy this season. There is Alabama and Florida. LSU is a distant third. Then there is the rest of the league lumped together each roster having some significant flaws. Don't come ready to play and they can womp you but most of the 2009 SEC is beatable.

But really it's Florida and Alabama. Truthfully, Florida is the best team but they have a couple key guys out either because of stupid or an injury and they just absolutely failed to execute in the SEC title game. They are an explosive/dangerous team in all aspects of the game. Alabama has some issues but they executed flawlessly in the SEC title game. Still, if not for a dropped swing pass and a miracle open field tackle by their punter, Bama would've been down by 8 to Florida at the half....

Florida is the best team in college IMHO. I think a Cincy/Alabama game might have been more compelling.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    Yeah, I was watching it on TV and I was thinking "Really, that's the size of your band?" when they first came out. They were small and sounded small. I would have assumed they would be better based on the CCM's reputation. I guess a lot of those music majors don't concern themselves with marching band.
    CCM strongly discourages their students from playing in the band. Believe it or not, the band grew about ten perecent from last year and is improved overall. There is a very long way to go and they are largely neglected by the university.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?