Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brandon McCarthy Suffered A Skull Fracture, An Epidural Hemorrhage & Brain Contusion

Re: Brandon McCarthy Suffered A Skull Fracture, An Epidural Hemorrhage & Brain Contus

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Also one of the best athletes to follow on twitter -- consistently insightful and funny.

Speedy recovery to him.
    *THE* best...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon McCarthy Suffered A Skull Fracture, An Epidural Hemorrhage & Brain Contus

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    The tech should be good enough to come up with a decent protective device without resorting to something that resembles a football helmet. Start incorporating it in the youth leagues and bring it forward as they move up the ranks.
    I am a firm believer in at least putting it into play at the youth level. My #1 criteria when letting kids pitch on the youth teams I coach is that they are able to defend/protect themselves on the mound on balls hit back at them. That comes before even considering how well they throw.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I think prior to doing anything to increase protection for pitchers, I think we will see an change in the rule concerning running into or over the catcher. With the Posey and Molina incidents in recent times and the heightened awareness of concussion issues I could see a change to no longer allow it. As far as I know you can't run over the first baseman on purpose and see no reason to allow it at home. Yes the catcher has some protective gear but does that really make that great a difference in the sort of collisions we are seeing. In terms of the argument that it has always occurred, while this is true players now are considerably larger then before and thus bring that much more force to the wollop.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I think prior to doing anything to increase protection for pitchers, I think we will see an change in the rule concerning running into or over the catcher. With the Posey and Molina incidents in recent times and the heightened awareness of concussion issues I could see a change to no longer allow it. As far as I know you can't run over the first baseman on purpose and see no reason to allow it at home. Yes the catcher has some protective gear but does that really make that great a difference in the sort of collisions we are seeing. In terms of the argument that it has always occurred, while this is true players now are considerably larger then before and thus bring that much more force to the wollop.
    I'm all for changing the collision rules, but they will also have to prohibit the catcher from blocking the plate and make him field his position like any other player on plays at the plate. From what I understand the Reds minor league system is already teaching their catchers to field that way, so the organization is a step ahead.

The catcher is not suppose to be there by the rules, the goal is to score more than the other team so any rule will need to be applied in a way that doesn't affect the man trying to score.

It could be similar to the no touch icing call that they use in Europe (to avoid high speed collisions)

Dayn Perry wrote about this

First and most obviously, what Molina and almost every other catcher do on a habitual basis is plainly against the rules. Please permit me to quote, in Clarence Darrow fashion, the relevant portion of Rule 7.06(b):

The catcher, without the ball in his possession, has no right to block the pathway of the runner attempting to score. The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is fielding a ball or when he already has the ball in his hand.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...king-the-plate

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I'm all for changing the collision rules, but they will also have to prohibit the catcher from blocking the plate and make him field his position like any other player on plays at the plate. From what I understand the Reds minor league system is already teaching their catchers to field that way, so the organization is a step ahead.
    Yes.
    Pete Rose has no shortage of failings but he has gotten a bum rap by non-Reds fans over the years for his collision with Ray Fosse in the 1970 All Star game. Fosse was blocking the plate without the ball.
    If colliding with the catcher is banned there mut be strict enforcement of the rules not allowing the catcher to block the plate.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Thought and prayers to Brandon and his family.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The catcher is not suppose to be there by the rules, the goal is to score more than the other team so any rule will need to be applied in a way that doesn't affect the man trying to score.

It could be similar to the no touch icing call that they use in Europe (to avoid high speed collisions)

Dayn Perry wrote about this

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...king-the-plate
    The key phrase is

""The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is fielding a ball or when he already has the ball in his hand.""

If a throw is enroute to a catcher then the catcher has the right to stand in the basepath.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 09-07-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

As far as I know you can't run over the first baseman on purpose and see no reason to allow it at home. .
    If the throw to a first basemen takes him off the bag and into the baserunners path going to first base then yes he can be legally run over. The same goes if the catcher or any other fielder receives the ball in the basepath or is in the process of receiving the ball then he can be knocked on his keister to.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Yes.
    Pete Rose has no shortage of failings but he has gotten a bum rap by non-Reds fans over the years for his collision with Ray Fosse in the 1970 All Star game. Fosse was blocking the plate without the ball.
    If colliding with the catcher is banned there mut be strict enforcement of the rules not allowing the catcher to block the plate.
    If I recall correctly Amos Otis made the throw when Rose was halfway down the third baseline which made the play legal because Fosse was in the process of fielding the ball.

There is a Federation Rule that states a runner must avoid contact with a fielder. However at the MLB level there is no such rule. IMO it is a mans game and leave it how it is. Collisions have been common since the Doubleday days so leave it be. However having said that, society has grown incredibly soft so along with helmets and bubble wrap on the pitchers I am sure we will see an "avoid contact rule" before to long.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Yes.
    Off topic, but...

Plus...Fosse never missed much time, and played fairly well (though not to his previous all star level of the first half of 1970) until Reggie Jackson broke his neck in a clubhouse fight a few years later, when both were with the A's. Then his career was truly damaged. No one ever remembers that, but Reggie Jackson ended Fosse's career, not Pete Rose.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    If I recall correctly Amos Otis made the throw when Rose was halfway down the third baseline which made the play legal because Fosse was in the process of fielding the ball.

There is a Federation Rule that states a runner must avoid contact with a fielder. However at the MLB level there is no such rule. IMO it is a mans game and leave it how it is. Collisions have been common since the Doubleday days so leave it be. However having said that, society has grown incredibly soft so along with helmets and bubble wrap on the pitchers I am sure we will see an "avoid contact rule" before to long.
    Can you really equate sustaining life threatening injuries and concussions that shorten a life to "manliness"?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Can you really equate sustaining life threatening injuries and concussions that shorten a life to "manliness"?
    IMO life carries certain risks. If we are concerned about life threatening injuries, concussions and even death then we need to mandate helmets being worn in automobiles and or lower the speed limit to 10 MPH.

IMO living life carries certain risks but anymore I realize I am in the minority of that way of thinking.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    IMO life carries certain risks. If we are concerned about life threatening injuries, concussions and even death then we need to mandate helmets being worn in automobiles and or lower the speed limit to 10 MPH.

IMO living life carries certain risks but anymore I realize I am in the minority of that way of thinking.
    Driving an automobile is a mandatory part of many people's lives and it would be impossible to do those 2 games.

Baseball is a game, and though we love it, it's frivolous. If we can make the people who play it safer, do it. You don't ignore it for the sake of "just because."

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Driving an automobile is a mandatory part of many people's lives and it would be impossible to do those 2 games.

Baseball is a game, and though we love it, it's frivolous. If we can make the people who play it safer, do it. You don't ignore it for the sake of "just because."
    Something as simple as wearing a helmet while driving would save tens of thousands of lives everyday. If we are so concerned about everyone being safe, then lets be consistent and demand whether someone is driving, playing any type of sport or any other type of activity that could potentially cause bodily harm that we mandate rules and precautions to keep that person safe and sound.

Or we could just suck it up and realize living life may cause certain risks. I do realize some will think I sound like a heartless barbarian when stating such a thing.

Turn Off Ads?