Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Jack Hannahan 2yr/$4MM

Re: Reds close to signing Jack Hannahan?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Compared to? 2012 Cairo and Valdez couldn't hit as well as Hannahan.
    Set the bar any lower and I'll be able to jump over it.

I don't mind Hannahan as a AAA stash, but as a bench player I'm not getting the appeal. Besides swinging a noodle, he doesn't back up up-the-middle and doesn't run.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

So are Cairo and Valdez officially gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    So are Cairo and Valdez officially gone?
    Yes. Valdez was released shortly after the season, Cairo is a free agent, and in all likelihood, retired.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Someone needs to be the backup 3B. Not sure how many better options there are, especially on the cheap. Henry Rodriguez will be ready eventually, but probably not to begin the 2013 season. I think Hannahan, despite his weak stick, would be a nice backup 3B for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Someone needs to be the backup 3B. Not sure how many better options there are, especially on the cheap. Henry Rodriguez will be ready eventually, but probably not to begin the 2013 season. I think Hannahan, despite his weak stick, would be a nice backup 3B for the Reds.
    Can Jason Donald sport 3B decently?

Donald could not beat out Hannahan with the tribe, but he does play 3B. 2B and SS are his natural positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Rolen?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Rolen?
    I'm not sure. People here just keep overlooking him. From the few comments I've read by Reds players/coaches/etc...it sounds like he's leaning towards retirement. But if he's interested in coming back, I think Jocketty will make it happen. I don't think he'd be going after Hannahan if he thought Rolen was coming back though.

We talked about that earlier in this thread. Someone said Walt or Dusty said at RedsFest that Rolen was not a possibility for the Reds. Not sure the validity of that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I read on the Redsfest thread that Walt and Bob said Rolen wasn't coming back. Is it true or not?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Found it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Hot stove with Cast, Jocketty, Dusty, Joe Morgan, and Jeff Brantley had some interesting comments:

1. Something was brewing last week. 2 things I believe Jocketty stated. He thought they were very close to be done but the other teams wanted too much from the farm.

2. Something is happening next week (probably) according to Cast and Jocketty. I took this to mean something besides Ludwick.

3. They pretty much said Ludwick was a done deal. That brought some cheers

4. No one expects Rolen back. They have spoken to him...Dusty and Walt

5. Todd Frazier has "earned the right to start Opening Day" at 3B according to Dusty.

6. The more criticism Dusty gets the more Cast believes in him because Sparky got a lot also and was a good manager....this is very close to what Cast stated when discussing Dusty and lineup construction.

7. Billy Hamilton is "close". That was a word that Jocketty used.

8. Dusty has no butt anymore according to his wife. Yep that was stated from the stage.
    What was said exactly....no clue. And apparently #2 was Choo. :O)

Now with the trade involving Donald I dont expect the reds to sign Hannahan. I love Frazier but I just dont see him playing 150 or more games at 3rd. Hannahan would have been a nice pickup. Donald isnt that great. Heck Brent Lillibridge beat him out at the end of the year as the Tribes utility guy.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    Now with the trade involving Donald I dont expect the reds to sign Hannahan. I love Frazier but I just dont see him playing 150 or more games at 3rd. Hannahan would have been a nice pickup. Donald isnt that great. Heck Brent Lillibridge beat him out at the end of the year as the Tribes utility guy.
    Jocketty said tonight they are still after a utility guy (presumed to be Hannahan).
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    Why not?

Reds usually keep two backup infielders.

Donald is a pretty weak hitter, they could use a better bat on the bench.

Choo deal didn't cost a lot of money (if anything) since Tribe sent some cash the Reds' way.

I'm still hoping they pick up Hannahan.

I am also very much hoping they get Hannahan. He would be a great defensive fit behind Frazier and a security blanket should Frazier soph struggle. With Choo acquisition, not as worried about needing a huge bat at 3b, so if Hannahan had to play more than we might expect, it wouldn't be an issue.

Turn Off Ads?