Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Coast thread of 10:00 games and DOOM

takealeake

West Coast thread of 10:00 games and DOOM

Time to get ready. Anyone got the stats for how we've done on this trip the last few years? I heard them break out some stat where the last time we won at Dodger Stadium was like 2005 under Brandon Claussen. Is that right??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: West Coast thread of 10:00 games and DOOM

this team will be alright. good news is that it starts in arizona. I got confidence in this team compared to past teams. if we can manage a winning roadtrip we will come back home with some confidence, the games in san fran and san diego will be the crucial games.

I think sweeping Oakland will help in the mind frame of the players going out on the west coast this year. If the Reds can go 5-4 I think they will have a great shot at winning the central or very least being a wild card team.

Quote Originally Posted by rolenmvp View Post
    this team will be alright. good news is that it starts in arizona. I got confidence in this team compared to past teams. if we can manage a winning roadtrip we will come back home with some confidence, the games in san fran and san diego will be the crucial games.
    Agreed, that first series is huge, need to take care of business there.

This team is different than the last 5 years, they are 16 games over .500 heading out west. I don't know if it's necessarily fair to these guys to go back and look at the last 5 years or so, because this a very different team. Rolen, Cabrera and Cabrera are key veterans that we have lacked in the past, Votto is having an MVP caliber season, and the pitching all around has been substantially better.

If the Reds go 5-4 or on this trip, I will feel really good, anything more than that is a bonus.
    Last edited by knoonan991; 08-15-2010 at 04:22 PM.

Truthfully, even though it would be disappointing, I would probably take 4-5 and would definitely take 5-4. I've always heard that the Big Red Machine struggled on those West Coast trips, so I'm not taking even a winning road trip for granted with a Dodgers team we just haven't seemed to match up well against over the past few years, including this year, and a Giants team with terrific pitching in a pitcher's park.

I just don't want 3-6, 2-7, or God forbid worse. Admittedly, it's hard to imagine worse, especially with the first 3 in Arizona. But it won't be easy.

takealeake

Also to note, the series before playing us, the Giants have to play in St Louis. So one way or another, a lot of crap is going to be on the line with the wild card and the division lead in this trip with all these teams playing each other.

I'm just going to drink heavily so I can pass out before the 6th in case it is going bad

you guys are selling this team short....7-2 or 6-3 is what I am looking forward to. We need to shut down these west coast teams this time out so they know who they are dealing with come playoffs. We simply cannot split with them.

who here thinks the Cards are going to split with the Brewers, Giants and Pirates? Not me....we have to put the hammer down on this trip...we need some breathing room come labor day weekend.

Most of these guys weren't part of those west coast losing ways. Not worried about it. I'm worried about playing some decent teams, and another with nothing to lose (Arizona), but as far as past stuff goes, not that worried.

I have to be up at 6 am everyday, and despite the last start times, not missing a SECOND of this huge trip

Quote Originally Posted by rolenmvp View Post
    That's good news. The traveling really takes a toll on everybody. Not just baseball players. Those games with San Francisco and San Diego are surely important games as is every game played. I have faith that our strong pitching depth will be a key factor in helping us stay competitive during the West Coast games and beyond.

This is a very good team and I would not be completely amazed to see them have a winning road trip.

But to say this team won't have the same struggles as teams from the recent past out there because they're better, well that's true.

But there have also been Reds teams as good or even better than this current team that struggled out there, against teams maybe not even as good as this Giants team. I remember some very good Reds teams going out there and yes struggling against some good teams, but also struggling with some average teams out there too.

It's athletes, yes well conditioned athletes, but it's athletes who play the most grueling schedule of at least all the major team sports going cross country and crossing over 3 time zones to play 9 games in a row without an off day.

It's going to be very very tough, and while I don't think it will make or break the season it's the kind of road trip where it doesn't necessarily matter if you're better than last year, better than the previous 10 years, it's still going to be one of the toughest parts of the year by far.

I would gladly accept a 5-4 trip. 6-3 would be great.

I'm going to be in LA on other business next week; I backed my trip up a day, just to catch the Sunday Dodgers game.

I may be the only person in the stadium in a Reds shirt, but I'll be there!

Well, if you just want to go by Arizona, LA, and San Fran the Reds last year were 5-4 vs. those teams on the road (of course they went winless at LA, Colorado, and San Diego, so overall the Reds were 5-11 against Western NL teams).

and yes, the last time the Reds won against the Dodgers in LA was July 28, 2005. Brandon Claussen was the winning pitcher.
    Last edited by scott91575; 08-15-2010 at 06:55 PM.

those teams in the past also had losing records against east coast teams, midwest teams, southern teams, northern teams, al teams. i think they will be fine

Turn Off Ads?