Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If Toronto keeps losing.. Could the Reds see Bautista Time batting 4th??

Re: If Toronto keeps losing.. Could the Reds see Bautista Time batting 4th??

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Bautista is the Matt Kemp of the AL, both are vastly overrated based on one monstrous season they'll never reproduce.

Take away Bautista's monster 2011 season and he's averaged 3.1 fWAR since 2009. That's about 1 win above the average MLB player...then consider his age.
    WAR is a cumulative stat. You cannot use this season to come up with an average WAR. He also was hurt in 2012 and didn't play full time in 2009, further worsening your average WAR stat. When you take that into consideration, 3.1 is pretty freaking awesome. In fact, remove this year (since it's only 1 month in it would be the wise thing to do) and his average WAR minus 2011 is 3.83. If he played full seasons in 2009 and 2012 it would be easily over 4, which is considered All Star level.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I didn't count this year's, at least I don't think I did

Either way, neither of them is close to Votto, and are extremely overrated.

Bautista is better than Kemp, but he's not all that analysts claim he is. He's also on the downside of his career. He's above average, and maybe All-Star level if you actually believe being an All-Star amounts of anything more than a popularity contest these days. The real Bautista is 2012 Ludwick + .5 wins. Good but not great.

Bautista wouldn't even be an upgrade over the 2012 Ludwick. He's suffered wrist injuries, he's getting older, and I'm guessing he's off his steroid-cycle with the new contract in hand. I understand that statement is incredibly harsh and quite a leap to make, but hey, I'm taking it. One minute the guy can't stick with the Pirates, the next he's swatting 50+ bombs. That's not real life. Pass every day of the week on that guy.

From Dave Cameron's chat today...

Comment From Scott
    What’s next for the Blue Jays?

12:17
    Dave Cameron: A couple more months of better play that isn’t good enough, then a mid-season sell-off of Josh Johnson
    I ask again, to anyone who says the Jays have a chance, what are their odds of making the playoffs. I'd say 5-10 percent. Not saying you give up. But you need to consider that when making any transactions.

To get to 88 wins (I chose that arbitrarily) they need to go 75-53 from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

I ask again, to anyone who says the Jays have a chance, what are their odds of making the playoffs. I'd say 5-10 percent. Not saying you give up. But you need to consider that when making any transactions.

To get to 88 wins (I chose that arbitrarily) they need to go 75-53 from here on out.

BP has them at 5%.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

That's a crazy stretch, and 88 wins does not get you into the playoffs in the AL East, of course.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Bautista on a bit of a tear in his last 10 games.

13 hits in 34 at-bats. Raised his low batting average to .256 with 9 HR's, 20 rbi.

Meanwhile, Toronto battling the LAA for 2nd worst record in the AL behind Houston (obviously). Toronto's pitching is just bad.

$14M per season.

Just an update.

I don't know if this has been proposed in here, but if the Reds could get Blue Jays to do a straight up Cueto for Bautista, would you do it? I'd snap that up in a heart beat. I'd try my best to get the Blue Jays to foot the additional 8 million in salary the Reds would have to take on for Bautista the next 2 seasons. Due to the age discrepancy of Cueto and Bautista I think you could probably do it.

1. Choo
    2. Phillips
    3. Votto
    4. Bautista
    5. Bruce
    6. Frazier
    7. Cozart
    8. Mez/Hanny

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    I don't know if this has been proposed in here, but if the Reds could get Blue Jays to do a straight up Cueto for Bautista, would you do it?
    Absolutely not.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Would rather have Stanton.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Absolutely not.
    Same. Toronto isn't in the position they're in because they have good pitching. You do not trade your best pitcher to "make a run" during a competitive season.

In fact, has that EVER been done? A team trading their Ace pitcher while they were still in the hunt?

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Same. Toronto isn't in the position they're in because they have good pitching. You do not trade your best pitcher to "make a run" during a competitive season.

In fact, has that EVER been done? A team trading their Ace pitcher while they were still in the hunt?

-Matt
    For the record, Latos is my ace. Cueto is my 2. But I can see Homer becoming my 2 by the end of the year.

So a guy like me, I'd pick up the phone and at least listen to what is being offered for Johnny.

I'm very content with the team now, so I'm of a mindset the offering team has to wow me.

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    I don't know if this has been proposed in here, but if the Reds could get Blue Jays to do a straight up Cueto for Bautista, would you do it?

15. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-16-2013)

While I agree that Cueto/Latos are 1 and 1A (not sure which is which, either), I still wouldn't consider trading Cueto right now.

If they weren't in the AL east I would think they have a chance. In the AL east you have 5 teams who are better than average. Its hard to get on a roll when you have to play the majority of your games against 4 tough teams.

Turn Off Ads?