Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rose speaks to the kids...

Rose speaks to the kids...

and apparently did a pretty bad job of it.

Potty-mouth Pete strikes out at camp for kids

Some of the highlights:

"It was a complete embarrassment," said Staff Sgt. Steven Tischer, commander of the Colerain-Highland Ridge U.S. Army Recruiting Station that sponsored the baseball camp for 7- to 14-year-olds. "You don't swear in front of kids, that's just common sense. He dropped the F-bomb and the S-bomb. He told them winning is everything and if you get second place you're just losers."

"His comment that he was (bleeped) off that Marge didn't leave him any money in her will and that she left it all to the zoo. His comment about how Marge loved to smoke and she would have smoked in her sleep if someone was there to hold her cigarette all night. His comment that he saw Joe DiMaggio in the shower and he saw more of him than Marilyn Monroe ever did. His comment on a good friend of his that was a gambler - and how I could go on."

When they got home, Collins said, her 8-year-old son told his dad that "he loved everything but Pete Rose."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Rose speaks to the kids...

My mom brought this up to me this morning. She was particularly appalled. My point to her is that Pete is still acting as he has always acted, like he was bigger than life. He never seems to understand the context of a situation, like gambling, it's a slippery slope and it would be better to never get into as heavily as Pete did. However, if you are gonna do it, stay away from 100 years of baseball precedent which states "any gambling on a game will get you kicked out the game." Pete was never even brought back to Earth after his banishment from the game that was his life. Pete Rose still thinks the world is in the palm of his hand and he can do whatever he wants, it's unfortunate people think Pete has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    My mom brought this up to me this morning. She was particularly appalled. My point to her is that Pete is still acting as he has always acted, like he was bigger than life. He never seems to understand the context of a situation, like gambling, it's a slippery slope and it would be better to never get into as heavily as Pete did. However, if you are gonna do it, stay away from 100 years of baseball precedent which states "any gambling on a game will get you kicked out the game." Pete was never even brought back to Earth after his banishment from the game that was his life. Pete Rose still thinks the world is in the palm of his hand and he can do whatever he wants, it's unfortunate people think Pete has changed.
    Yeah, sorry to see that he is still a knucklehead. But, you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

What's sad to me is that every other player from that team conducts themselves with such class, Morgan, Bench, Perez, Griffey, etc... You would think that Pete would have picked up something.

BTW, Pete is the West-side. We work hard, play hard, and never change!
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I am as big a Bench fan as you will find, but class isn't a word I would always use to describe him.

Senor Votto

I wonder if his speach contained information about how to cover the spread.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I am as big a Bench fan as you will find, but class isn't a word I would always use to describe him.
    I second that bounty. I love Johnny Bench as a player, but from what I've heard he is a Grade A jerk.

I second that bounty. I love Johnny Bench as a player, but from what I've heard he is a Grade A jerk.
    Never talked to him so I wouldn't know. But, he would never put himself in any of the situations Pete does. He understands the PR game more than Pete.

Bench hangs with a hip crowd though (Pat Berry, etc...).

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Never talked to him so I wouldn't know. But, he would never put himself in any of the situations Pete does. He understands the PR game more than Pete.
    Yes, he does, he plays it well. Just one example, but the first one that pops in my head. A few years back, saw him at a charity golf tourney, and asked for an auto, was very polite and when no one else was around so he wouldnt get trapped by others. It was a picture from his HOF induction, of me camping out by the stage to see my hero inducted-not one tha tanyone would have na interest in for resale. He was rude as could be. I know many are going to reply he is under no obligation to sign, and I know that, I have been told no before, and can handle that fine if it is done as politely as I ask. I also have a problem with it because it was at a frickin charity event-if you dont want to sign, dont show up, as these events are created for that. But, a few minutes later, when newspaper camera and poor little girl who didnt even know who he is asked, he picked her up and posed for the newspaper and was all sweet and all for the photo, then talked crap about her whne he out er down and the cap was back on teh cameras lens.

So true, if only Pete understood the PR game, he would still be riding the wave of popularity. It's really too bad, he epitmozies the non-juiced athelete.

So true, if only Pete understood the PR game, he would still be riding the wave of popularity. It's really too bad, he epitmozies the non-juiced athelete.
    Hey, I never claimed that I liked the PR game. But, it is the game played today. Jordan played the media perfectly. He kept his gambling problems as private as possible, and always made sure that he "seemed" classy and "seemed" dignified. Nothing about Pete has ever "seemed" class or "seemed" dignified, whether it be his gambling problems, selling autographs in Cooperstown during HOF inductions, or anything else he's done.

Maybe if Pete had a better haircut...

Hey, I never claimed that I liked the PR game. But, it is the game played today. Jordan played the media perfectly. He kept his gambling problems as private as possible, and always made sure that he "seemed" classy and "seemed" dignified. Nothing about Pete has ever "seemed" class or "seemed" dignified, whether it be his gambling problems, selling autographs in Cooperstown during HOF inductions, or anything else he's done.

Maybe if Pete had a better haircut...
    Haha, well at least Pete didn't go to the MJ headshave.

Haha, well at least Pete didn't go to the MJ headshave.
    MJ shaved his head because he was balding badly and didn't want people making fun of him like they did Clyde Drexler. Good Decision. Pete,on the other hand, tried too hard to look like Randy Quaid's Amish character from Kingpin.

Turn Off Ads?