Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Todd Redmond to Major League Contract

Reds sign Todd Redmond to Major League Contract

The Reds re-signed right-hander Todd Redmond to a one-year, Major League contract worth $490K, MLB.com's Mark Sheldon reports. Acquired from the Braves midseason, Redmond was the lone pitcher outside of Cincinnati's starting five to start a game in 2012.

Redmond has only appeared in one game at the MLB level. The 27-year-old started the second game of an August doubleheader, allowing four earned runs in 3 1/3 innings. He spent most of this past season at Triple-A, where he posted a 3.63 ERA with 8.2 K/9 and 2.4 BB/9 in 148 2/3 innings for the top affiliates of the Braves and Reds.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...d-redmond.html
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign Todd Redmond to Major League Contract

Does that mean he's on the 25 man or else we pay him and he can leave?

If memory serves me right, that gives him a spot on the 40-man, and since he is out of options he would be effectively on the 25-man.
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Redmond's one start left a bad impression on me as a return to the Van Poppel, Haynes, Claussen, et al era. Leaves me in a cold sweat that he would ever start another major league game for the Reds.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Eww, why?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Eww, why?
    "minor league depth" is the reason I keep on reading on here. I think they just like having a bad AAA team.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think it's a solid move. The guy may never pitch a major league game for us next year. But he's been a solid AAAA guy. I remember when he pitched that doubleheader game. He was extremely nervous and the announcers commented alot about it.

This may be the beginning of the dominoes falling to move Chapman to the rotation. Leake or Bailey traded next? Or will it be Cingrani or Corcino?

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    If memory serves me right, that gives him a spot on the 40-man, and since he is out of options he would be effectively on the 25-man.
    What is the risk? If we try to ship him back to AAA and somebody else claims him, well then we are off the hook for his contract...

While I don't love it by any means, I guess it's hard to hate.

This strikes me as a holding maneuver. The Reds may be thinking of Redmond as a long reliever or a candidate for 5th starter if other moves get made. Or maybe they think he's got some trade market this winter. He's got some ability so I can see where the team doesn't want to let him walk unless there's no possible fit for him on the 25-man roster. And we won't know that until late in spring training.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I don't know what his offerings are like, but he could be in line for a Sam Lecure type of role.

I think this article may have been missed by many this past season. No time like the present to post it.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...lly-explained/

Perhaps someone can clarify this for me. It looks to me as if he was on the 40 man roster prior to this action. Doesn't this mean that the only ways he could be signed would be either a major league deal or a DFA and then a minor league deal. The latter would have resulted in a claim from another team. So the best the Reds could do is sign him for the ML minimum if they wanted to keep him. Is he really out of options? 2012 was his major league debut. I'm not thrilled with his upside either, invisiball or no, but this action seems like a no brainer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Eww, why?
    Probably because our only AAA depth is Cingrani, who may get moved to the bullpen (or might make the ML roster).

You make moves like this (and Janish/Navarro last year) and hope you never have to call them up.

Redmond isn't great, but as of now, he's the best depth we got.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    "minor league depth" is the reason I keep on reading on here. I think they just like having a bad AAA team.
    Redmond is an excellent AAA pitcher.

Turn Off Ads?