Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dayton Dragons Roster Announced

Dayton Dragons Roster Announced

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...=.jsp&sid=t459

2010 Roster

Starting Pitchers: Josh Ravin, Brian Pearl, Pedro Villarreal, J.C. Sulbaran, Jacob Johnson.

Relief Pitchers: Donnie Joseph (closer), Nick Christiani, Ezequiel Infante, Junior Martinez, Doug Salinas, Justin Walker, Chase Ware.

Catchers: Kevin Coddington, Mark Fleury, Jordan Wideman.

Infielders: Chris Richburg (1B), Henry Rodriguez (2B), Frank Pfister (3B), DiDi Gregorius (SS), Shane Carlson (2B-3B), and Kevyn Feiner (2B-3B-OF).

Outfielders: Efrain Contreras, Andrew Means, Alex Oliveras, Byron Wiley.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dayton Dragons Roster Announced

No Yen-wen Kuo?

I thought Redsof72 said he was released?

I like everything but the infield (excepting Rodriguez and Gregorius, of course). This bunch certainly looks as though it tops what the Dragons trotted out for most of last year.

You know, the apparent weakness at 1B and 3B speaks to an interesting point. Below AAA, the organization is pretty evidently lacking in big run producers. Its weakest position--notwithstanding Alonso--is first base. I suspect that's because the Reds have been drafting and signing a lot of shortstop and center-field types. And that could easily result in some lackluster offenses, which was certainly the case in the system last year. And those lackluster offenses, in turn, could easily result in bad records, which was also the case in the system last year. But those records could be misleading. A system loaded with power-hitting first basemen might benefit in the standings of the Midwest and Carolina leagues, etc., but it's a very limited asset in terms of organizational talent. I mean, only one of those guys can make the big leagues at first base, and they probably can't play any other position. It's way preferable, I'd say, to concentrate the talent up the middle.

That said, I'd still like to see a little more thunder here and there.

Anyone know where Cody Puckett is playing? I do not see him on the Dragons or Hillcats roster.

Thanks

Resident PED Expert

He will be on the Hillcats Roster. 2B/ 3B/ LF...

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    He will be on the Hillcats Roster. 2B/ 3B/ LF...
    Thanks! I have been checking their roster but did not see him.

Yorman to Extended ST then Billings. Probably the right move, but a little upset I don't get a chance to watch him in Dayton, at least until later in the season.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

I'm curious to see how Brian Pearl does in a starting role. He's got a great arm and posted great strikeout numbers in Billings last season (43 K in 28.1 IP). I'm also looking forward to seeing how Jacob Johnson does. I'm a little surprised that Daniel Tuttle isn't starting in Dayton.

I'm a little disappointed that Daniel Corcino isn't starting in Dayton. Hopefully he joins them sometime soon.

Ezequiel Infante - wasn't he starting last year with some success?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

So does that mean Cameron Satterwhite was cut? Why not just keep him as a fifth outfielder?

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Ezequiel Infante - wasn't he starting last year with some success?
    That's something that puzzles me about the Reds' organization. Minor-league pitchers, after struggling in the bullpen, will be given a few starts and really turn a corner . . . then, before you know it, they're back in the pen. Just in the last couple years, it has happened with Infante, Tabor, Hotchkiss and Viola. (I'm assuming, by looking at the rosters, that Hotchkiss and Tabor will be back in relief this year.) It's kinda baffling.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    That's something that puzzles me about the Reds' organization. Minor-league pitchers, after struggling in the bullpen, will be given a few starts and really turn a corner . . . then, before you know it, they're back in the pen. Just in the last couple years, it has happened with Infante, Tabor, Hotchkiss and Viola. (I'm assuming, by looking at the rosters, that Hotchkiss and Tabor will be back in relief this year.) It's kinda baffling.
    I've always wondered the same. Watson was another that did great as a starter then has just fallen apart as a reliever. Viola IMO should have stayed a starter...

From the DDN - Dragons should benefit from Reds’ ‘priority’ prospects

Some of the prospects, especially All-Star catcher Kevin Coddington (.278 batting average, 42 RBIs in 99 games) and outfielder Byron Wiley (.275, 12 homers), had reason to believe they had put Dayton in their rearview mirrors only to be told last week they would be Dragons once again. With a new season dawning, all seemed in good spirits, however.

“Ultimately, I’d be lying to you if I said my goal was to start the year in Dayton, but it’s out of my control,” Coddington said. “Having said that, if I had to repeat any level, this is a great place to play.”
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...ts-639535.html

Turn Off Ads?