Turn Off Ads?
Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Thread: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

And that all changes with Interstellar!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    To be fair, half of those movies played on the coasts for 3 weeks and in the middle of the country for 1.

I guess I just don't get that. I mean I'm as ordinary middle America dude as anyone. I have 3 young kids, a wife, a job and I've seen all those movies. Those movies seem fairly mainstream to me. I felt like I took a bit of a dive into art house film when we watched Blue Is the Warmest Color.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I'm going back and watching a lot of movies from the 60's, just watched The Train with Burt Lancaster.

Between the advent of TV in the mid-50's and the summer blockbuster in the 70's Hollywood foundered. If you asked ten people to name a 60's movie, a bunch would say "Easy Rider" which wasn't from a Hollywood studio.

Noir was dead, westerns withered. They released epics that were mostly silly and RomComs that seemed from a different era (ie. Doris Day). They tried to revive the big musical but those fizzled.

Mid 50's?

Touch of Evil
    Paths of Glory
    North By Northwest
    Vertigo
    Spartacus
    The Man with the Golden Arm
    Ben Hur was silly?

From the 60's

Bonnie & Clyde
    Midnight Cowboy
    A Man For All Seasons
    Exodus
    The Wild Bunch
    Psycho
    Seconds with Rock Hudson, which Total Recall was stolen from

I agree it is not a great amount but the 60's is not just "Easy Rider" ...but it did lead to a better decade for movies in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post

Total Recall was based on a book by Phillip K Dick

The Manchurian Candidate is a great 60s movie.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Total Recall was based on a book by Phillip K Dick

The Manchurian Candidate is a great 60s movie.
    I seem to recall that some of the premise of the movie was taken from Seconds.

Thanks for the correction.

Yeah, after reading the plot outline there are def some similarities.

Sounds like an interesting movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Mid 50's?

Touch of Evil
    Paths of Glory
    North By Northwest
    Vertigo
    Spartacus
    The Man with the Golden Arm
    Ben Hur was silly?

From the 60's

Bonnie & Clyde
    Midnight Cowboy
    A Man For All Seasons
    Exodus
    The Wild Bunch
    Psycho

I agree it is not a great amount but the 60's is not just "Easy Rider" ...but it did lead to a better decade for movies in the 70's.
    Oy! I thought I covered this.

Maybe it's better to say that the 60's was a transitional decade for Hollywood.

From Wiki:

The 1960s were marked by a spate of corporate takeovers. MCA, under Lew Wasserman, acquired Universal in 1962; Gulf+Western took over Paramount in 1966; and the Transamerica Corporation purchased United Artists in 1967. Warner Bros. underwent large-scale reorganization twice in two years: a 1967 merger with the Seven Arts company preceded a 1969 purchase by Kinney National, under Stephen J. Ross. MGM, in the process of a slow decline, changed ownership twice in the same span as well, winding up in the hands of financier Kirk Kerkorian. The majors almost entirely abandoned low-budget production during this era, bringing the annual average of features released down to 160

The Golden Age was well past and the modern day Hollywood M.O. was emerging:

The early 1970s were difficult years for all the majors. Movie attendance, which had been declining steadily since the Golden Age, hit an all-time low in 1971......By the mid-1970s, the industry had rebounded and a significant philosophical shift was in progress. As the majors focused increasingly on the development of the next hoped-for blockbuster and began routinely opening each new movie in many hundreds of theaters (an approach called "saturation booking"), their collective yearly release average fell to 81 films during 1975–84

As to Ben Hur: no it's not silly but I'm meh on it all the same. (And Doctro Zhivago's a four hour nap.)

When I typed silly, I meant Cleopatra or Taras Bulba

The Cossacks of Eastern Europe join the Poles to rid the Turks from the Steps of Europe. In return for their aid, the Poles agree to give control of the Steps to the Cossacks. After the battle, however, the Poles back out of their agreement and force the Cossacks into the hills. Taras Bulba, a Cossack Colonel, raises his son, Andrei Bulba to learn the ways of the Poles so he can one day defeat them in battle. In his learning process, however, Andrei falls in love with the daughter of a Polish Nobleman. This twist causes Andrei Bulba to choose between the love of the Cossacks, and the love of a woman, and causes Taras Bulba to choose between the love of his son, and the love of the Cossacks.

Ah yes, the legendary struggle of the Poles and Ukrainians.
    Last edited by Rojo; 03-06-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Need for Speed is getting terrible reviews. Wonder if Aaron Paul could have waited for something better.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Need for Speed is getting terrible reviews. Wonder if Aaron Paul could have waited for something better.
    Terrible reviews doesn't mean it won't make a bunch of money though.

This is the society where Fast and the Furious 6 (six) made $788 million dollars. Dumb people love dumb racing movies.

Terrible reviews doesn't mean it won't make a bunch of money though.

This is the society where Fast and the Furious 6 (six) made $788 million dollars. Dumb people love dumb racing movies.
    I haven't seen FF6 and I'm not a fan of the series but it has a 70% rating on rotten tomatoes so a lot of those "dumb people" are movie critics. Need for Speed has a 21% rating. I would say it's not going to make any where near as much money as FF6.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I haven't seen FF6 and I'm not a fan of the series but it has a 70% rating on rotten tomatoes so a lot of those "dumb people" are movie critics. Need for Speed has a 21% rating. I would say it's not going to make any where near as much money as FF6.
    OK - Fast and the Furious 4 has a 27% rating on rotten tomatoes and made $363 million at the box office.

OK - Fast and the Furious 4 has a 27% rating on rotten tomatoes and made $363 million at the box office.
    FF6 had an opening weekend of $97MM 4 had a $70MM opening weekend, it had a built in audience. So far this year the Lego Movie has the biggest opening weekend at $69MM I would say that Need for Speed doesn't break $35MM.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Just rewatched Adventureland for the first time in a while last night. One of the most underrated gems of the last decade.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-16-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I watched the Veronica Mars movie this weekend. Loved it. Of course I was hooked on the show too, so that certainly could explain it. It was in less than 300 theaters nation wide, so rather than fight with tracking it down somewhere I just bought it online on Friday night (it had a dual video on demand release). If you have never watched the show, a few points were probably missed in the movie for you, but for the most part I think they explained things well enough that you didn't have to watch the series in order to follow along. Also, James Franco is awesome.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It was in less than 300 theaters nation wide
    This is blasphemy! This is madness!
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Turn Off Ads?