Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Cleveland Browns...Rising from the Ashes

Re: 2017 Cleveland Browns...Rising from the Ashes

Kizer has some accuracy issues. Throwing behind receivers.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Kizer has some accuracy issues. Throwing behind receivers.
    True. But he also made some nice passes. He's still trying to force the ball in places he shouldn't. Also - his receivers have to learn how to catch the ball. I think there was something like 8 dropped passes (that should have been caught). That ain't helping your rookie QB.

Very sloppy game for the Browns, with over 100 yards in penalties, and the pass interference calls really put a hurtin' on them.

Duke Johnson had a solid game. And the offensive line is performing well so far.

Up next - da' Bengals.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    True. But he also made some nice passes. He's still trying to force the ball in places he shouldn't. Also - his receivers have to learn how to catch the ball. I think there was something like 8 dropped passes (that should have been caught). That ain't helping your rookie QB.

Very sloppy game for the Browns, with over 100 yards in penalties, and the pass interference calls really put a hurtin' on them.

Duke Johnson had a solid game. And the offensive line is performing well so far.

Up next - da' Bengals.
    That's all this season is about. Find pockets of success and try to repeat them. Unfortunately, Burfict is back and he's going to be on a mission, while Lazor will have 20 new plays that Hue and Willams haven't seen to start the game. Could be another 21-7 first half lead for the Bengals this week (though I think 17-3 at the half, Bengals).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Could be another 21-7 first half lead for the Bengals this week (though I think 17-3 at the half, Bengals).
    Yeah. Over the last two games (Ravens, Colts) the Brown's defense - simply sloppy play, costly, and stupid, penalties - put their team (offense) in a hole going into halftime... 21-7 (Ravens), 28-14 (Colts). Now is that simply due to a young secondary learning/growing? Maybe. Don't know. I think they have some talent there.

But other then the first game vs the Steelers, the Browns have been playing bad/erratic first halves, then seem to level out, get it together, and play far better second halves. But you're now playing catch-up. And for the youngest team in the NFL, and especially a rookie QB, IMO, that's putting too much pressure on a young offense.

Like you said .... "That's all this season is about. Find pockets of success and try to repeat them"

This is not going to be ... nor do I expect it to be .... a .500 team this year. That is inconsequential to me. What I don't want to see - even in the losses - is what we've seen in the previous seasons - clowns. I expect this young team to struggle, and a young QB to make his rookie mistakes this year. What I want them to give me though is HOPE. That I am seeing good things being accomplished overall by this organization, and that they are building/heading in the right direction.

They had a solid draft this past season, as well as some good off-season moves/acquisitions. This season will be telling as far as what they need to go after in the next draft, that next step. In 2018 the Browns have a total of 13 picks, which includes two in the 1st round, and three in the 2nd.

I'm maintaining my positive attitude!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-01-2017)

Jabril Peppers is a horrible defensive player. Terrible draft pick.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Jabril Peppers is a horrible defensive player. Terrible draft pick.
    Jack of all trades. Master of none.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I think the Browns are somehow worse this year. It's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It's different. There's direction and they have a Quarterback, it appears.

Maybe they have a future, but they sure as hell don't have a present.

Shows how worthless preseason records are

Maybe they have a future, but they sure as hell don't have a present.
    The thing is with all these draft picks in '18, they'll be rebuilding again. As for their QB, he'll never amount to much as an NFL QB until he improves his accuracy and ability to throw a catchable pass. That pick he threw in the 1st half on the deflection was a wobbler. Rarely do inaccurate throwers in college become accomplished passers in the NFL.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Myles Garrett, the 2017 No. 1 overall pick, has been sidelined with a high ankle sprain, and though he is expected to sit out Week 4 against the Cincinnati Bengals, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Sunday morning that Garrett "should" make his regular-season debut for the Cleveland Browns in Week 5 against the New York Jets.

Rapoport added the defensive lineman has "rehabbed like crazy."

Garrett left Browns practice Sept. 6, four days before the season opener, with a right high ankle sprain, and Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com reported the Browns were "worried the injury could sideline him for weeks."
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...r-ankle-injury
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

15. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-02-2017)

And that's pretty much how I'm approaching it. But ..... that was an embarrassing display yesterday, and on all fronts. They came out in their opener vs the Steelers and put up a pretty good game (could've won it). But since then they keep putting themselves in big first half holes they can't dig out of.

The Browns have been outscored 84-28 in the first half. That’s bad defense, bad offense, bad football, a bad team.

Neither team could run the ball, but what was a huge source of frustration was this - all Dalton did for the majority of the day was chuck the ball over the line, various slants, etc, for 5-10 yds and underneath our coverage. He had a field day as he took what we gave him. And the Brown's defense did nothing to make any type of adjustment. The play of our secondary was terrible (and not just Peppers). AJ Green is one of the best receivers in the league. Asking a rookie safety, whose forte is not coverage, to cover one of the best receivers in the league is quite perplexing to me.

As Brown fans we can hold onto this reasoning that it's all about building and direction ... and it's understandable this young team lost to Pitt and Baltimore to open the season .... but in the last two weeks we've played struggling winless teams (Colts, Bengals), and our performance has been simply terrible. After what they left on that field yesterday it had me saying they may not win a game this year. So can I still keep saying "It's all about direction"? I like Hue Jackson, but they have to give the fans something more to place their hope on.

Any positive signs? ..... our run defense, so far this year, has been good. Duke Johnson had another solid game.

It blows me away that there are currently four teams with an 0-4 record.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-02-2017 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    And that's pretty much how I'm approaching it. But ..... that was an embarrassing display yesterday, and on all fronts. They came out in their opener vs the Steelers and put up a pretty good game (could've won it). But since then they keep putting themselves in big first half holes they can't dig out of.

The Browns have been outscored 84-28 in the first half. That’s bad defense, bad offense, bad football, a bad team.

Neither team could run the ball, but what was a huge source of frustration was this - all Dalton did for the majority of the day was chuck the ball over the line, various slants, etc, for 5-10 yds and underneath our coverage. He had a field day as he took what we gave him. And the Brown's defense did nothing to make any type of adjustment. The play of our secondary was terrible (and not just Peppers). AJ Green is one of the best receivers in the league. Asking a rookie safety, whose forte is not coverage, to cover one of the best receivers in the league is quite perplexing to me.

As Brown fans we can hold onto this reasoning that it's all about building and direction ... and it's understandable this young team lost to Pitt and Baltimore to open the season .... but in the last two weeks we've played struggling winless teams (Colts, Bengals), and our performance has been simply terrible. After what they left on that field yesterday it had me saying they may not win a game this year. So can I still keep saying "It's all about direction"? I like Hue Jackson, but they have to give the fans something more to place their hope on.

Any positive signs? ..... our run defense, so far this year, has been good. Duke Johnson had another solid game.

It blows me away that there are currently four teams with an 0-4 record.
    Man you are looking at this with the glass half full attitude. I watched the game and came out thinking the Browns are this bad, and likely to be bad for a while. Kiser may or may not be a good QB, but when accuracy is the issue, you are going to struggle in the NFL.

Remember when they drafted a noodle arm QB to play in Cleveland in the 3rd round? Sure would be nice to have used that pick on a CB or WR or S, or LB, or any other position on the field.

So for three 1st round picks this year they have Miles Garrett who hasn't played a down, a developmental TE who is raw as can be, and Jabril Peppers. I will leave Peppers at that.

Where are their past first round picks?

The Browns will continue to be the Browns until two things happen. First of all they need to find a QB, probably should have used a high pick two years ago or even this past draft to get a QB. Secondly they need to start making better use of their draft picks. The Browns have had a plethora of picks over the past 5 years, and have found a way to screw them up.

I think there's a great story here this season. Looking forward to following it.
    That's what I was saying. They'll probably sweep the Bengals.
    When's this great story going to start? They look as bad as ever.

Turn Off Ads?