Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Least favorite sports radio personality.

Re: Least favorite radio personality.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    What kind of name is Todd Gack?
    It's a nice name. Is it Dutch?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think it's Dutch.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

YouTube - nikki the blonde in Seinfeld - The Calzone
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I doubt Colin even believes half the stuff he says. His whole job is just to get ratings, which usually involves him pissing people off.

It's better for him to say "the Reds are frauds!" than to say that we are a nice, young team on the rise that may experience problems when facing a more experience squad."

The latter statement won't piss anyone off.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    I doubt Colin even believes half the stuff he says. His whole job is just to get ratings, which usually involves him pissing people off.

It's better for him to say "the Reds are frauds!" than to say that we are a nice, young team on the rise that may experience problems when facing a more experience squad."

The latter statement won't piss anyone off.

Which shows how untalented he is even in that medium and how lame we are for listening to him and getting mad or taking anything he says seriously.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Which shows how untalented he is even in that medium and how lame we are for listening to him and getting mad or taking anything he says seriously.
    yeppers. If you heard his interview with Jim Tressel he gushed over the domination of the Buckeyes, but when Jim's not on the phone, he talks about how their running game is weak and Pryors got a rag arm. He's the little geek that never shuts up until you asked him what he just said. Then he turns into a respectful wimp.

Getting back to the OT, Freddy Coleman is still the champ
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I can't stand Cowherd, but pretty much everything on 1360's National programming is awful (other than Dan Patrick).
    Agreed. Dan Patrick is awesome. He's funny, lacks the arrogance of these other guys, and the format of his show is pretty good IMO.

I don't care for Rome or Cowherd, but I can at least listen to Cowherd. The guy says a lot of outrageous things and his arrogance is annoying, but it's all about ratings. Rome on the other hand.... I just think that guy's an idiot.

That so many people listen to him tells me the exact opposite... he must be pretty darn talented to get all those listeners. People don't listen to untalented radio hosts. They turn them off.

People don't read untalented writers.

Colin is good at what he does, even better at doing what he's paid to do.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    That so many people listen to him tells me the exact opposite... he must be pretty darn talented to get all those listeners. People don't listen to untalented radio hosts. They turn them off.

People don't read untalented writers.

Colin is good at what he does, even better at doing what he's paid to do.

Say enough stupid and whacked out things and you might get people to listen as well. He is the equivalent of a car accident you cannot turn away from.
    I see people staring at those things all the time....while I am trying to get around or away from it.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Least favorite sports radio personality.

I find Jim Rome unbearable.

If you ever want to hear someone say the same thing 45 different ways to stretch the clock, he is your guy.

He'll say something that takes the comprehension of a third grader to understand, pull out a thesaurus, and say the same thing over and over with different words. It's like, Hey, I get that Roger Federer is a great tennis player- have anything else for us today Jim, or are you just going to run out the time until the first of 2 thousand commercial breaks we're taking this hour?

And enough of the code talk. Someone shouldnt have to listen to you for four weeks to "catch on" to what you are saying.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 10-16-2010 at 09:43 PM.

Say enough stupid and whacked out things and you might get people to listen as well. He is the equivalent of a car accident you cannot turn away from.
    I see people staring at those things all the time....while I am trying to get around or away from it.
    His job is to get people to listen to him. He gets paid for that. He's managed to do just that. He must be good at what he does.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    His job is to get people to listen to him. He gets paid for that. He's managed to do just that. He must be good at what he does.
    I agree with both of you to a degree-

My stand lately is that while you can stir up the ratings with outrageous stuff, why not try selling intelligence, wit, personality and an argument that the listener actually believes you believe.

Talk radio is a serious waste of time.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

For me, I apply the same standard to sports talk as I do to political talk: "Not interested in the thoughts of people who aren't trying to be thoughtful."

The smack/rave/vent genre has its place and obviously an audience, but it's not my thing.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    For me, I apply the same standard to sports talk as I do to political talk: "Not interested in the thoughts of people who aren't trying to be thoughtful."

The smack/rave/vent genre has its place and obviously an audience, but it's not my thing.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

You really have a few different types of radio hosts.
    1) The Know-it-all contrarian (Cowherd)
    2) The local homers (every city has them, in Columbus we have Ricordati and Torgerson. They are small, petty, and boring)
    3) The local beat writer/columnist turned radio guy (Daugherty, Hooley in Columbus)
    4) The ex-jock
    5) The "none of the above" don't bring anything to the table guys except a radio voice (like Coleman)

I tend to prefer #3. They are more informed than the others, know the local players, but aren't relentless and obnoxious homers.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Turn Off Ads?