Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jets Beat Miami; Bengals All But Eliminated From Playoffs

Re: Jets Beat Miami; Bengals All But Eliminated From Playoffs

The Bengals should be at least 11-4, not 8-7. They should not have lost to Tampa Bay, they should not have given up 42 points in the second half to blow the game to San Diego, and they should have never been in the position of needing an extra point to tie the score late against Denver.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

At the start of the season I was more excited about the Bengals' prospects than I have been since the '80's so this year has been a big disappointment.
    Losing both Thurman and Pollack at LB hurt quite a bit since both of them showed the potential to be among the top LB's in their first season. I was looking forward to watching them progress but, as forfreelin04 pointed out, it's possible that the two of them are gone from this team (and possibly pro football) forever.

O'Neal and James need to be replaced and I'd probably let Smith walk.

As bad as the O-line was hurt by injuries this year Whitworth, Ghiaciuc and Andrews gained a lot of experience and, overall (IMO) played pretty well the last half of the season. That will help next year as it appears that the Bengals are ready to let Steinbach leave.

There were times that the coaching staff didn't seem to have a clue but I'll let Marvin Lewis decide what should be done with the various assistants. However, as head coach it's Marvin's job to be responsible for the teams record. I like Marvin and his supporters point out that he's never had a losing season as head coach. By the same token, I'll point out that he's only ever had one winning season. He's a big step up from days of old but 8-8 year after year isn't going to satify the fans much longer. It's time to show that he can take a team deep into the playoffs and be a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

Rem

bomarl1969

Re: Jets Beat Miami; Bengals Eliminated From Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    They will be back next year.
    In Paul Brown Stadium or in the Folsum State Pen?

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Discipline OFF and on the field. Kids that are undisciplined away from home are undisciplined at home as well.
    You're logic falls apart when the "discipline problems" off the field are not the same "discipline problems" on the field.

Players that were arrested(I assume this is what you're referring to as "discipline problems)
    Deltha, McNeal, Steinbach, Askew, Henry, Henry, Henry, Henry, Nicholson, Rucker, Thurman.

Players that had a noticeable impact on the game yesterday:
    Carson(two interceptions) Rudi(fails to put ball away) Chad(same) Joseph(pass interference) Chad(false start/illegal shift on Henry TD pass) Entire Defense(gives up 99 yard TD drive) and finally St.Louis(well you know)

So what did I miss.
    Was it undisciplined play by Chad, Carson and co or was it just poor play? And what does that have to do with AJ Nicholson being arrested?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Fire Bresnahan. How many times this year did the opposing team OBVIOUSLY make key adjustments during half-time while the Bengals did not, and seemed absolutely incapable of, changing a thing?? The NFL is a game of adjustments, and Bresnahan failed miserably at that this year.
    Last edited by WMR; 12-26-2006 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Fire Bresnahan. How many times this year did the opposing team OBVIOUSLY make key adjustments during half-time while the Bengals did not, and seemed absolutely incapable of, changing a thing?? The NFL is a game of adjustments, and Bresnahan failed miserably at that this year.
    I just don't like Bresnahan's philosophy on D. I'd say the run D has greatly improved, but the way they play pass D, it's as if they think they have a 30 point lead the whole game. They constantly play it safe to avoid giving up the big play, but then let teams dink-and-dunk them to death. That's fine if you're playing against a team where the QB is pretty bad and can't hit his receivers consistently. But when a QB of reasonable consistency goes up against that, it results in long drives that not only end up in scores, but keeps your own high-powered offense off the field.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I just don't like Bresnahan's philosophy on D. I'd say the run D has greatly improved, but the way they play pass D, it's as if they think they have a 30 point lead the whole game. They constantly play it safe to avoid giving up the big play, but then let teams dink-and-dunk them to death. That's fine if you're playing against a team where the QB is pretty bad and can't hit his receivers consistently. But when a QB of reasonable consistency goes up against that, it results in long drives that not only end up in scores, but keeps your own high-powered offense off the field.
    Their biggest asset last season was their ball-hawking, willing-to-take-a-gamble defense! Weird how that seemed to change this season, b/c I agree with ya... did Bresnahan just simply lose his nerve?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    You're logic falls apart when the "discipline problems" off the field are not the same "discipline problems" on the field.

Players that were arrested(I assume this is what you're referring to as "discipline problems)
    Deltha, McNeal, Steinbach, Askew, Henry, Henry, Henry, Henry, Nicholson, Rucker, Thurman.

Players that had a noticeable impact on the game yesterday:
    Carson(two interceptions) Rudi(fails to put ball away) Chad(same) Joseph(pass interference) Chad(false start/illegal shift on Henry TD pass) Entire Defense(gives up 99 yard TD drive) and finally St.Louis(well you know)

So what did I miss.
    Was it undisciplined play by Chad, Carson and co or was it just poor play? And what does that have to do with AJ Nicholson being arrested?
    Your logic falls apart because Football is a team sport and if the team has chronic discipline problems off the field it translates to the lockeroom, practice field, and on gameday. How many arrests has New England had the last 5 years? They are the definition of a disciplined football team. It all starts at the top.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    At the start of the season I was more excited about the Bengals' prospects than I have been since the '80's so this year has been a big disappointment.
    Losing both Thurman and Pollack at LB hurt quite a bit since both of them showed the potential to be among the top LB's in their first season. I was looking forward to watching them progress but, as forfreelin04 pointed out, it's possible that the two of them are gone from this team (and possibly pro football) forever.

O'Neal and James need to be replaced and I'd probably let Smith walk.

As bad as the O-line was hurt by injuries this year Whitworth, Ghiaciuc and Andrews gained a lot of experience and, overall (IMO) played pretty well the last half of the season. That will help next year as it appears that the Bengals are ready to let Steinbach leave.

There were times that the coaching staff didn't seem to have a clue but I'll let Marvin Lewis decide what should be done with the various assistants. However, as head coach it's Marvin's job to be responsible for the teams record. I like Marvin and his supporters point out that he's never had a losing season as head coach. By the same token, I'll point out that he's only ever had one winning season. He's a big step up from days of old but 8-8 year after year isn't going to satify the fans much longer. It's time to show that he can take a team deep into the playoffs and be a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

Rem
    I'd definitely let James go in a heartbeat, but I just can;t agree on Deltha O'Neal.

Your logic falls apart because Football is a team sport and if the team has chronic discipline problems off the field it translates to the lockeroom, practice field, and on gameday. How many arrests has New England had the last 5 years? They are the definition of a disciplined football team. It all starts at the top.
    Two. Though to be fair, one was released because he threw scalding water on his roomate.

The Chargers were neck and neck with the Bengals this preseason for a while Maybe since only 4 guys were arrested it doesn't count as chronic.

Same with the Bears. They had a bunch of guys arrested in the off season(many with much more serious things than the Bengals,) Tank Johnson was nearly shot, and they are 13-2. Maybe a very undisciplined 13-2, but 13-2 nonetheless.

If the Bengals miss the playoffs, it won't be due to lack of discipline. Maybe bad Karma, but discipline isn't really the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

On a totally unrelated note, I'll be glad to see local (for me) athletes Mike Nugent and Nick Mangold make the playoffs. That's a special moment for them and I'm happy that they'll probably get there.

Ok, continue on with the Bengals...and I apologize for the tangent.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

That might be a proverb, but I don't think I would call that law. There are many examples of teams playing very well in any sport with players that were not pillars of society, or even good teammates. There are a lot of folks who can separate lack of discipline in their personal life and be disciplined on the field, coachable and make a good teammate. I think Hoosier Red is correct in not assuming the correlation that you are attempting to make.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

If the Bengals miss the playoffs, it won't be due to lack of discipline. Maybe bad Karma, but discipline isn't really the issue.
    I think this is a fair assessment. In GF's defense, those arrests may have had affects on other games and not just the Denver one (those are the only examples you cite).

It's just frustrating to be a fan when you have the bad call in Tampa, the blown loss to San Diego, the pathetic Atlanta performance, and then a simple PAT to tie the game against Denver to stew on all offseason.

It's not one thing with these guys, just a whole bunch.

I'd start with that atrocious defense.

Oh, to have had the Jets at home instead of New England.

The Bengals definitely need to mature as a team. Some of the arguments that have happened on the field the last couple of years between players and coaches and players themselves need to be done with. These players need to grow up and be professionals on and off the field. As far as personelle decisions need to go who to keep is a big concern. The Bengals are definitely going to lose a few important pieces to the puzzle this offseason and we need to draft smart to replace them.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Point well taken. I changed it.

Now that I've had my little vent, what changes are needed for next year to get this franchise over the hump? I think a new defensive coordinator is something that most will agree on. Anything else needed?
    Not so many stinking injuries.

Oh, and a new long snapper.

Turn Off Ads?