Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Buckeyes vs Bearcats (Gary Jeff Walker)

Re: Buckeyes vs Bearcats (Gary Jeff Walker)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Next time I hear somebody say they don't like Ohio State because of their fans, I'll know why after reading those four sentences above.
    I could have worded it like this:

UC needs to receive paychecks from road games for the athletic department to remain solvent. That shows the strain their budget is under because their city has not supported them. If UC fans want to take steps to ensure that they truly play big time college football, they need to play their games at Paul Brown Stadium where more fans can see them play. Until then they need to schedule road games against teams that will cut them a check.

The next time I hear a UC fan rail against Ohio State fans, I will think of Jan yelling "Marsha, Marsha, Marsha"!
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I could have worded it like this:

UC needs to receive paychecks from road games for the athletic department to remain solvent. That shows the strain their budget is under because their city has not supported them. If UC fans want to take steps to ensure that they truly play big time college football, they need to play their games at Paul Brown Stadium where more fans can see them play. Until then they need to schedule road games against teams that will cut them a check.

The next time I hear a UC fan rail against Ohio State fans, I will think of Jan yelling "Marsha, Marsha, Marsha"!
    Name one other team on UC's schedule that is paying them for an away game other than Ohio State.

There aren't any. Not even Oklahoma.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Name one other team on UC's schedule that is paying them for an away game other than Ohio State.

There aren't any. Not even Oklahoma.
    WRONG!
    http://www.gnextinc.com/ousoonersblo...o-play-ou.html
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Fair enough. I was wrong on this one.

BTW, Oklahoma kicking in 300K for a 1 for 1 is a pretty sweet deal for UC.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Wrong.

The game against Cal is in Columbus on September 15, 2012. The UC game is in Columbus on September 8, 2012. Ohio State's other two non-conference games are also at home.

OSU future road non-conference games ...

2009: Zero
    2010: Zero
    2011: @ Miami (FL)
    2012: Zero

UC will play four road non-conference games this season alone. That's three more than Ohio State will play in the next four years combined. That is truly pathetic.

Or maybe it's because they just don't like going on the road in non-conference games.
    Fair enough, I was wrong.

But the point remains the same. I think you're pretty off-base making any notion that OSU is scared of UC. It has no basis, and can be debunked by looking at who OSU is scheduling OOC. Texas, USC, Cal, Miami, VT, Oklahoma, and Tennessee are all high profile, and historically solid programs.

UC is not. They're getting better, and quality wise today may be equal or better some of them, but they have a way to go to reach the overall level of those programs. Ohio State is afraid to play nobody. They just have a business to run at the same time. If they can add a home game in any way possible, they'll do it. UC would, too. An AD of a school that draws a decent gate would be dumb not too.

For the record, Brian Kelly is on record as wishing the Miami rivalry was a Nippert only game, and really doesn't sound enthused about playing them at all. If the contract wasn't iron-clad for the next decade, the two schools likely wouldn't play next year and beyond. Clearly he's afraid of Miami of Ohio. How arrogant. See how easy it is to make baseless statements?
    Last edited by guttle11; 11-24-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Nah that'd be inaccurate. UC fans just chuckle nowadays at Ohio State fans.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Fair enough. I was wrong on this one.

BTW, Oklahoma kicking in 300K for a 1 for 1 is a pretty sweet deal for UC.
    Yup, a great deal for UC. And from what I'm hearing here, it sounds like that $300k is the difference between the athletic department just completely collapsing.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    tOSU fans still aren't as bad as Notre Dame Football fans or Duke Basketball fans, though...

Call it a close 3rd.... for college sports, at least...
    Clearly you've not been exposed to the UK basketball population. The only other comp is Cub fans.

And I've spent plenty of time in southern california to experience the USC fanbase. Midwesterners don't have a good glmpse into that fanbase, but it's every bit as bad as any you list above. And have you ever been down to Alabama during college football season? How about attend a game at Camp Randall? Were there any more obnoxious fans anywhere than in Talahassee when they were an elite program? How about Miami Hurricane fans? I don't see how it's possible.
    Last edited by MWM; 11-24-2008 at 10:18 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Fair enough, I was wrong.

But the point remains the same. I think you're pretty off-base making any notion that OSU is scared of UC. It has no basis, and can be debunked by looking at who OSU is scheduling OOC. Texas, USC, Cal, Miami, VT, Oklahoma, and Tennessee are all high profile, and historically solid programs.

UC is not. They're getting better, and quality wise today may be equal or better some of them, but they have a way to go to reach the overall level of those programs. Ohio State is afraid to play nobody. They just have a business to run at the same time.
    Ohio State isn't playing anybody out of their conference on the road. I'm sorry, but two games in four or five years on the road in their non-conference schedule doesn't cut it. Is their goal seemingly to make the BCS title game each on a weak schedule in a weak conference only to get embarrassed?

For the record, Brian Kelly is on record as wishing the Miami rivalry was a Nippert only game, and really doesn't sound enthused about playing them at all. If the contract wasn't iron-clad for the next decade, the two schools likely wouldn't play next year and beyond. Clearly he's afraid of Miami of Ohio. How arrogant.
    I disagree with Brian Kelly on this, and I'm not too happy that he's shown an interest in cutting that series up. UC/Miami needs to happen every season and they need to rotate stadiums every season. The same goes in basketball. UC should be playing Xavier, Miami, Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio State all pretty regularly on a fair rotation. I've maintained this all along, and I still do maintain it.

And yet that's the difference between myself and a great deal of Ohio State fans. I want UC to face their regional foes on a fair rotation of home and road games in both basketball and football. Not only as a fan of the program but as a fan of the sport.

Instead we have Ohio State fans calling UC's program crap (hand down the scraps!) and making up every excuse in the book for why they shouldn't play. It's total arrogance, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Clearly you've not been exposed to the UK basketball population. The onyl other comp is Cub fans.
    UK fans have settled down quite a bit recently. I think they've focused most of their stuff in recent years on Tubby instead while he was searching for the exit door.

Instead we have Ohio State fans calling UC's program crap (hand down the scraps!) and making up every excuse in the book for why they shouldn't play. It's total arrogance, nothing more.
    You were the one that injected the feces comment, right there. The truth is UC is in dire need of money, nothing more. To use your words.

When they lose Brian Kelly in 6 weeks, you will be reminded of that.

There is not one excuse in this entire thread about why they shouldn't play. Just Ohio State fans defending their team because they are annoyed, and UC fans doing the same. It is a crying shame the Reds can't get all us to this level of craziness with the Indians, or the Cubs.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

OSU has a neutral site game against Toledo in Cleveland in 2009.
    "Neutral Site" my tail -- that game will be stuffed to the gills with Ohio State fans. The environment will be about as hostile as a Tressel family reunion.

I'm really kinda done with Ohio State. They can shut me up if they go out of the Big 10 and beat someone important. But, by the looks of things, they aren't eager for repeats of their performances at Texas and USC in recent years, or their largely forgettable BCS appearances against the SEC.

Whatever. They'll always be the 500 lbs. gorilla in the state, and that's never going to change.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 11-24-2008 at 10:27 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    "Neutral Site" my tail -- that game will be stuffed to the gills with Ohio State fans. The environment will be about as hostile as a Tressel family reunion.

I'm really kinda done with Ohio State. They can shut me up if they go out of the Big 10 and beat someone important. But, by the looks of things, they aren't eager for repeats of their performances at Texas and USC in recent years, or their largely forgettable BCS appearances against the SEC.
    I will take a repeat of their performance at Texas each and every week! USC comes back to the Horseshoe next year, and they probably get Georgia in the CapOne bowl.

You were the one that injected the feces comment, right there. The truth is UC is in dire need of money, nothing more.
    When's the last time you've been on UC's campus, LB?

It is a crying shame the Reds can't get all us to this level of craziness with the Indians, or the Cubs.
    If the Reds are ever perennial contenders and then we see a significant portion of the fan base looking down on other clubs as being inferior, I'll just shake my head. That isn't the way to go about things.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

You were the one that injected the feces comment, right there. The truth is UC is in dire need of money, nothing more. To use your words.

When they lose Brian Kelly in 6 weeks, you will be reminded of that.

There is not one excuse in this entire thread about why they shouldn't play. Just Ohio State fans defending their team because they are annoyed, and UC fans doing the same. It is a crying shame the Reds can't get all us to this level of craziness with the Indians, or the Cubs.
    Or Yankee fans...
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Ohio State isn't playing anybody out of their conference on the road. I'm sorry, but two games in four or five years on the road in their non-conference schedule doesn't cut it. Is their goal seemingly to make the BCS title game each on a weak schedule in a weak conference only to get embarrassed?
    How many of the top tier teams are any different? Some have a rivalry game they do every other year on the road, but it's not like there's a lot of top tier programs scheduling a tough road game out of their conference. This isn't an OSU thing.

And yet that's the difference between myself and a great deal of Ohio State fans. I want UC to face their regional foes on a fair rotation of home and road games in both basketball and football. Not only as a fan of the program but as a fan of the sport.

But can't you see some of the contradiction? The exact thing you're criticizing the OSU administration for is something Brian Kelly has been in favor of when it fits his circumstances. And I think there are plenty of OSU fans who would love to have an annual rivalry game with UC. I'd love to see it. I think it would be great for Ohio football. And OSU could use a secondary riva other than Michigan. Michigan has MSU and ND. OSU really doesn't have anyone else. And I don't think fear of losing factors into the decision at all.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?